My Blood Pressure - the bad news - the good news

ChrisKC

About ten days ago, My Thai wife (Jeab) and I went to our local Military Hospital for a routine medical check up. This was prompted by me realising that Jeab's cholesterol level from a previous check had not been managed very well.

We had already decided we would have extensive blood tests and a chest Xray. Results for Jeab showed a slight rise in Cholesterol so needing some positive action on that one. The total cost by the way was B830 each including printed results for everything tested. 2 hours in total spent at the hospital.

For me, everything was in normal range except for my blood pressure that read 148/94. I was horrified as I have never in my life had high blood pressure. I asked for another measurement from a different machine and the reading was very similar. Nothing had changed in my life, healthy diet, continuing regular exercise, no stress and everything seemingly hunky dory. The doctor on seeing the report said nothing to worry about! But I was worried and went home to brush up my knowledge of these things to see what might have gone wrong.

I checked what I should eat and drink and what I shouldn't eat and drink but after easy analysis was able to conclude no obvious reason. I started to wonder if there was something genetic, that neither diet or exercise would remedy so medication was on my mind, But that would certainly be a last resort for me - never taken medication in my life.

Fast forward about 7 days:

I am considering life insurance (I will write another post on this issue separately). the agent is a friend of ours and I gave my report to her. The blood pressure was a problem. At that moment I asked Jeab to measure my blood pressure and it was the same again - 147/94. I couldn't believe it. Yesterday morning I decided to return to the hospital but before that we measured my blood pressure(twice, each arm) at home and yes, still high. to have another measurement later and yet again the result 148/94

I said to Jeab, "I want to try something that possibly will make a difference"  and she said, "why not", So I did that!

I went to a nurse and asked if I could have use another machine: This time my reading was 124/83 So, I correlated this with my action. We took this report - a print-out from the machine, to the doctor, he agreed with it and had my initial report reprinted with my 'correct' reading, effectively within normal range. Total cost of that B50

This morning (Wednesday) to try to confirm, I had my blood pressure measured at home with my new "action" and 4 readings were as follows: 138/84,  118/84, 121/84 and finally , 129/82 (2 x each arm) All at variation but nothing like before!

Later today, I will tell you what I did - what do you think it was?

3 minutes ago, ChrisKC said:

Well one thing that can bring readings from 'Hypertension Stage 2' down to 'regular' levels is taking an ACE inhibitor called Lispril.

You can turn it around in a week if you're creative with the dosages and monitor constantly, but I guess you've got some alternative....

In fact there's a whole load of different approaches to normalise this very quickly once you notice it, just need to make sure it doesn't go too low.

Furosemide springs to mind as well.

14 minutes ago, ChrisKC said:

I think the best way to measure your blood pressure is as soon as you get out of bed, the reason I say that is because you are less active.

Today 98/56/67, you can't get better than that at age 61, height 183cm, weight 88.5kg, just on the obese side of the fence.

When I went and registered for my Moderna shot last month, had finished lunch about half an hour earlier, then walked from the hospital car park to the hospital to get my blood test done, 158/98 what the F, I said, nurse said it is fine, not to me it wasn't, but I later put it down to eating beforehand and then the walk to the hospital from the car park in the middle of the day.

My blood pressure is usually around the 100/62/66 or 100/59/71.

In my opinion your readings aren't too bad, but it would also help to know your age, weight and height.

Edited by 4MyEgo

On the Internet you get cheap but good devices to measure the blood pressure yourself. If you buy one take it with you and compare the readings with the one at the doctor or hospital. I found out that if I enjoy some beers my blood pressure will go up for some days. 

1 minute ago, 4MyEgo said:

I think the best way to measure your blood pressure is as soon as you get out of bed, the reason I say that is because you are less active.

Today 98/56/67, you can't get better than that at age 61.

When I went and registered for my Moderna shot last month, had finished lunch about half an hour earlier, then walked from the hospital car park to the hospital to get my blood test done, 158/98 what the F, I said, nurse said it is fine, not to me it wasn't, but I later put it down to eating beforehand and then the walk to the hospital from the car park in the middle of the day.

My blood pressure is usually around the 100/62/66 or 100/59/71

Mine is the opposite....  BP is always lower after I have taken my morning walk.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Just stop worrying. It'll be the death of you. Last Wednesday whilst getting my first Covid shot my BP was 204/111.    ????

I can probably beat that but.... I'd be happy with 148/xx

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, samtam said:

I would try and avoid the drugs and get it down via lifestyle choices.

I'm fitter than a butchers dog. I walk my dogs numerous times a day. I cycle 20 km every other morning. I don't smoke and don't touch hard liquor. I have a garden of just under 1 Rai and I cut the grass about every 5th day. I really dunno what life style changes I can change. Only thing I suffer from IMO is anxiety.

• Like 2

If possible I try to stay off meds. I came off statins and diabetes type 2 meds several years ago and my bloods are all ok.

However I have been in the 'pre-high' band for decades, and when I tried to come off my amlodipine 5 mg, my BP started creeeping up so I stayed on them.

I bought an OMRON machine and check every morning. If it is slightly higher then normal (it's never 'high') I hit the button a few times and it invariably soon becomes normal again. I take the printed summary from Omron Connect to any hospital checkups to counter the inevitable white coat syndrome. I also find this chart useful.

1590697247_bloodpressurechart.gif.3bfb4591b2d155dcb03e8c8645f4ece6.gif

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Only thing I suffer from IMO is anxiety.

There ya go. That's my problem.

Anxiety doesn't cause long-term high blood pressure (hypertension). But episodes of anxiety can cause dramatic, temporary spikes in your blood pressure.

If those temporary spikes occur frequently, such as every day, they can cause damage to your blood vessels, heart and kidneys, as can chronic high blood pressure. In addition, people who are anxious or stressed are more likely to engage in unhealthy habits that can raise blood pressure

25 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

my elevated blood pressure at the time at hospital could have been because of the nurse,

I don't really think that Thai nurses are on the ball when it comes to taking BP. For instance I have to walk 50 meters from my car to the hospital and climb 2 flights of steps. Go in and register and sit for 5 minutes before I'm called. The time scale should be 15 minutes. Then I get my BP done. Arm should be level with your heart. At my hospital they push your arm down till your hand is resting on your leg. Best way to get your BP done is by one of those automatic BP machines.

Fully Automatic BP Monitor, 0.03 (pressure), Eagle Digital Scales | ID:  19141344730

Edited by IvorBiggun2
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

I am 58 and my BP has been consistently in the 115-120/ 75-80 range for a decade.  I do not have direct evidence to prove it's positive effects but I have been consuming liberal amounts of Extra Virgin Olive Oil for the past decade.  Also, I used to run marathons and try to maintain a low fat diet(within reason of course).  The biggest challenge about Extra Virgin Olive Oil in LOS is "it's damm expensive".  

+1 on the EV Olive Oil, that and butter is all I cook with.

Makro do a reasonable quality one in a 5L bottle for about 900 Baht.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

I am 58 and my BP has been consistently in the 115-120/ 75-80 range for a decade.  I do not have direct evidence to prove it's positive effects but I have been consuming liberal amounts of Extra Virgin Olive Oil for the past decade.  Also, I used to run marathons and try to maintain a low fat diet(within reason of course).  The biggest challenge about Extra Virgin Olive Oil in LOS is "it's damm expensive".  

Nothing wrong with Extra Virgin Oil, although as you say it's damn expensive, that said Big C do have some good sales on every now and again, e.g. big bottle 1 litre was 240 baht so I stock up when I see them on sale.

If you haven't been exercising of late, suggest you ease back into it.

6 minutes ago, Chris.B said:

Your blood pressure readings mean nothing without know your age. It's age related.

Exactly. 

High blood pressure is very common in older people. As we age, our vascular system changes. Arteries get stiffer, so blood pressure goes up. This is true even for people who have heart-healthy habits.

• Like 2