Thailand reports 14,260 new COVID-19 cases, 119 more deaths

webfact

8 minutes ago, anchadian said:

The Covid-19 situation continued to worsen in Southeast Asia, hitting 100,000 cases on Friday, while fatalities also hit a record high

Asean hits 100,000 cases with record single-day death toll

https://www.nationthailand.com/international/40003687

The difference in mortality rates between ???????? and the ???????? is notable...as most who have spent time in both places can relate, the healthcare is much better in Thailand than the Philippines. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

You said it was .005%

Its clearly not, out of 19,000 cases a figure of 0.005% would account for just one death.

19,000 cases and 94 deaths equates to 0.5% 

No other interpretation can be had, unless you have your own way of comprehending percentages thats unique to you.

94 ÷ 19,000 = 0.0049473684. I round that up to .005 or one-half of one percent. Put another way, 0.9950526316 survival rate.

Edited by Pattaya Spotter
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

The difference in mortality rates between ???????? and the ???????? is notable...as most who have spent time in both places can relate, the healthcare is much better in Thailand than the Philippines. 

Good point. Some people post lethality rates as though they were simply an independent function of the virus. In fact, there are a lot more factors that enter into it. Not least is the quality of health care.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I would give up if I were you!

I admit it's been a looong time since decimals math for me...have I completely forgotten it? The notation may be wrong but using the Chonburi numbers, the mortality rate is about half of one-percent, correct?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

94 ÷ 19,000 = 0.0049473684. I round that up to .005 or one-half of one percent. Put another way, 0.9950526316 survival rate.

Thats division not percentage and your dividing 94 ÷ 19,000. That is not correct. If your doing division then it would be the other way round 19,000 ÷ 94

As I said you have a unique way of doing it.

Edited by Bkk Brian

3 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Thats division not percentage and your dividing 94 ÷ 19,000. That is not correct.

As I said you have a unique way of doing it.

Whatever...I don't want to give wrong information. I believe the one-half of one percent figure is correct (94/19,000). There's a reason I became a lawyer and not an engineer...all my bridges would have collapsed!

Edited by Pattaya Spotter
  • Confused 2
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, anchadian said:

State regulatory process linked with Thailand’s vaccination programme delays admits top official

The National Vaccine Security Act 2018, a law passed by the National Legislative Assembly, appears to have been the template for the government’s incoherent vaccine programme and was brought into focus this week when the Director of the National Vaccine Institute, an agency established under its provisions, highlighted the country’s unwieldy bureaucratic process for the procurement of vaccines. Dr Nakorn Premsri was offering an apology for the delays in delivering vaccine doses in sufficient quantities for the national vaccination programme. 

https://www.thaiexaminer.com/thai-news-foreigners/2021/07/23/over-regulation-blamed-for-vaccine-failures/

Yet, despite the apology, there's no assurance given that vaccines will be ordered any quicker, or in greater number, in the future.

The present ad-hoc, peicemeal, dribs and drabs system still seems in play.

So if I get the SMS today for tomorrow I wonder if this will be locally produced AZ. I would of course prefer mRNA but being in Samut Sakhon I'm concerned. I'm thinking 2 AZ and mRNA booster when these come on stream. 

Screenshot (364).png

1 minute ago, dinsdale said:

So if I get the SMS today for tomorrow I wonder if this will be locally produced AZ. I would of course prefer mRNA but being in Samut Sakhon I'm concerned. I'm thinking 2 AZ and mRNA booster when these come on stream. 

Screenshot (364).png

are you dreaming ????

29 minutes ago, morrobay said:

Don't forget infections also go down with time as potential targets in population  decreases as population has been saturated. Even without vaccinations.

You are trying to invoke herd immunity as an explanation for the decline in cases in Chile. Do you know what percent of the population is required to achieve herd immunity? Has Chile reached that saturation point?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Yes, and generally so for Thailand.... but the rest of the world numbers are usually between 1-2% and Peru a whopping 9%. One has to ponder 'why'? I am rather anti numbers that try to minimize the seriousness of this... it is serious. 

Peruvian mortality is probably an artifact of their low testing.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Yes, and generally so for Thailand.... but the rest of the world numbers are usually between 1-2% and Peru a whopping 9%. One has to ponder 'why'? I am rather anti numbers that try to minimize the seriousness of this... it is serious. 

I agree there is likely an undercount of cases/deaths...how much we don't know. 

5 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

You are trying to invoke herd immunity as an explanation for the decline in cases in Chile. Do you know what percent of the population is required to achieve herd immunity? Has Chile reached that saturation point?

70% was bandied about... then when Delta came around, and being more infectious the number 80% popped up. Is that the total population or just adults? Because most places are reporting the percentage of adults that have been vaccinated... Younger people transmit Covid too, get infected,,, and by the way, vaccinated people do too!

Edited by jacko45k

5 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

No. According to the notice tomorrow is AZ. 2nd jab I assume will be the same. Next yr maybe mRNA for booster.

Good luck in the queues tomorrow.  You'll need it.

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

Might be those needing it for their Visas for work, or for attending school, or maybe even those that need to go overseas for a trip on the Government, aka Military.

Any government official needing to go overseas I would think. Diplomats, ministers etc.  More than a few ministers  might suddenly find the need for a trip overseas and be forced to have a Pfizer jab.

10 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

Peruvian mortality is probably an artifact of their low testing.

If they had low testing, surely they would have lower Covid mortality ratios? I thought it was due to the Lambda variant. 

Edited by jacko45k