WHO Suggests Tightened Measures to Control COVID-19 Spread in Thailand

Jonathan Fairfield

6 hours ago, tonray said:

Italy would disagree with you...after the most severe lockdown in the West, the country is pretty much normalized now. My friend is traveling there this month...everything open, no masks in sight. People working and getting on with life.

It's about to get real again in Italy, give it a month.

The chart is here click the 'log' button to see the real picture : https://coronawiki.org/country/italy

In a week or two they will be back at the peak level of infections, same as many other European countries.

Due to vaccinations I doubt it will be such an impact event as last year though.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tomazbodner said:

On whether this will be looked back as successful or not... here's why they did it:

How to Flatten the Curve on Coronavirus - The New York Times

Now the whole point was to try to keep the number of infected below the healthcare system capacity. Where of course we would have hoped that, like in China, that would not be a flat line but increasing over time. On the flip side - the "without protective measures" would be that 1-2 years that a normal pandemic would have lasted until it ran out of people to infect as most would have already been immune or dead.

But here's the catch. By prolonging time, and viruses mutating constantly, you get to the point where the same people get reinfected by mutations they are not immune to, so it no longer is one wave like in the image above, but more like a sinus curve, with one wave after another. Add in the mix the vaccines against most spread out strains, and we're creating opportunities for variants that otherwise might not make it to thrive. By immunising against one strain, that strain can no longer prosper, but a mutation that would have otherwise stood no chance of thriving is given opportunity, as it's different enough to bypass immunity.

Hence overall, I think this will be looked back as a very short term plan without taking into consideration how implementing it would make matters worse in the long run, but we should be prepared, with the strategy taken, that this thingy is not going away for many years. And by the time the direction changes, it might either mutate to something more akin to common cold, or it could turn into something more like MERS, with 1 in 3 infected succumbing to it. We can only hope it would be the first option, as collectively as a human race we'll never step together and do what's needed to get rid of it.

The problem with not having any sort of lockdown before vaccinations are available is that not only are the hospitals overwhelmed, but the medical staff is decimated. A statistic citculating is that the chance of getting Covid is 7 times higher for health care workers than for the population.

Letting Covid "rip" will just get more people infected sooner and further increase the emergence of dangerous mutations. Delta seems to be reinfecting people who have not been vaccinated. Without any kind of lockdowns the "sinus waves" of assorted variants will overlap to the point of a washout muddle.

We have to keep adapting the mRNA vaccines to new variants. Oddly, the US has not even approved an update for the Beta (South African) variant which has been around for quite a while. US FDA needs to up their game (and also grant full licensure to Pfizer and Moderna ASAP).  

• Like 1

The next step is to close the roads between provinces to all but non essential travel.

Essential means trucks containing supplies and 'the mail' in its many and various forms.

After that it's more of the same but on a local level.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dennnis said:

For sure Janez Jansa supporter.

No. More the opposite, despite thinking they all suck, but people get what they deserve and vote for. You most likely are from the sunny side of Alps, given you mix up totally unrelated politics into discussion. Please keep at least Thai forums clear of that Slovenian garbage.

What that post was about is that asking for all the people to work together and do what's needed is a dream, it's never going to happen. No matter what you ask for, half the population will ignore it or work against you. So expecting that the groups of people mentioned would bother cooperating, and then counting on it, is rather foolish.

1 hour ago, placnx said:

US FDA needs to up their game (and also grant full licensure to Pfizer and Moderna ASAP).  

I disagree totally. The Bills are quite the frat boys, five new Bills at Moderna. US taxpayers paid for R&D. Govt should make vaxx free licence & non-profit for the good of everyone, not just the fatcats.

2 hours ago, SmartyMarty said:

Look up New Zealand to see how a full lockdown can lead to the most successful handling of the pandemic coupled with economic recovery and support for all those out of work, small business assistance etc.

An Island nation with extremely low population density.  I may be wrong but is there any country that has a similar population density that had relatively high (>200 per mil)  Covid deaths.  Maybe but I would be surprised.  In the end, they have few deaths which is great regardless.

On 7/24/2021 at 7:17 PM, Jonathan Fairfield said:

Meanwhile, National Vaccine Institute Director Dr Nakorn Premsri admitted that the first-wave measures went well thanks to cooperation from various sectors, particularly the government and the public, adding that, no matter how good the measures are, without the backing of the public Thailand may face an even more serious level of contagion, as has happened in other countries.

Measures at the first wave? What measures? Most of last year was easy going. I remember attending a 2-day fireworks event on the beach in Pattaya in November 2020. There was a rock concert too, and hardly anyone was wearing a mask in what was a very large, tightly packed crowd. At that point we thought it was all over and life was getting back to normal.

On 7/24/2021 at 7:38 PM, Caldera said:

What more does he want to see tightened? Everything is already closed!

There was a suggestion in an article last week that they could have a full 24-hour lockdown banning everyone from leaving their houses/homes and the government will deliver food, door to door. It's a ridiculous idea that won't work, but they were talking about it.

Edited by JensenZ

5 hours ago, unblocktheplanet said:

I disagree totally. The Bills are quite the frat boys, five new Bills at Moderna. US taxpayers paid for R&D. Govt should make vaxx free licence & non-profit for the good of everyone, not just the fatcats.

The idea of granting full licensure to the mRNA vaccines is to convince more of the vaccine-hesitant to take the plunge. Furthermore, if variants get even worse than Delta, a mandate to get vaccinated can be made national policy, just as other vaccines are required in certain settings. Some countries (eg France) are doing this already.

The cost of vaccines is nothing compared to the economic and social damage. Public money is involved in a lot of basic research, but oftentimes the application of this technology is taken forward by startups. I believe that both Moderna and BioNTech were working on cancer vaccines when this public health emergency arose.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Kevin Taylor said:

Sure New Zealand is an Island nation though. As soon as they allow outsiders to enter the countrg they will have the same issues as other countries

That's my whole point (doh). Lockdowns work when done properly. look at how rooted another island nation was (UK) because they cocked up the lockdown and border control. Any country can do this successfully if the will and follow through is there.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, SmartyMarty said:

That's my whole point (doh). Lockdowns work when done properly. look at how rooted another island nation was (UK) because they cocked up the lockdown and border control. Any country can do this successfully if the will and follow through is there.

Well you say done correctly like its easy for every country to do the same. I am saying it is not New Zealand have a lot of advantages over Thailand for a so called successful lockdown. Also what's the point of a so called good lockdown in your town or your country if covid still exists in the next town until the world is open again and either covid is eradicated or we learn to live with it the job is not done.Lockdowns a year and a half into this do nothing but trample all over our civil rights, the virus still spreads except now everyone is poor and miserable.8

• Like 1
  • Sad 2