Anyone stocking up on essential foods in case of shortages ?

worgeordie

Imports are being affected then you got outbreaks in many of the factories which they are closing or reducing hours for production like in the U.S. this should cause some inflation due to demand I've noticed even eggs at Makro, two weeks ago they were 89 baht  not over 100 baht.

At Tops many of the imported goods are not available so selves are starting to look empty.????

On 7/26/2021 at 12:48 PM, worgeordie said:

plenty Rice,

potatoes, onions, ,pasta , canned stuff, 2 trays eggs, 

Pork , chicken and fish, bread ,butter, milk, the freezer is full. 

Sounds like your freezer and shelves have too much unneeded <deleted> taking up precious space. Most of the canned stuff, like Ayam Baked beans, can be thrown out, along with the potatoes, pasta, rice, and bread. That would leave plenty of room for nutritional food, like more meat and frozen fruits and veggies. Makro has quite a lot in stock and can deliver. You may come out of this much healthier.

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Geordieabroad said:

I object to being referred to as a boozer, collector of empty bottles may be more precise

It's cans for me, I have a large collection which will be collected by a very happy recycling chap (sorted and clean).

• Like 2

I'm just making sure that I've got plenty of fruit in stock.

Well not just any fruit, actually, they are grapes – – not exactly grapes as we know them, but the juice of which has been turned into wine.

I have got plenty of wine in stock and tomorrow I'm going out to get some more, and might even do a little food shopping whilst I'm at it!

No, certainly not. I am intrigued by the obsession so many westerners have with toilet paper. Bidets, or the simplified version of them found everywhere in Thailand, are surely cleaner and more convenient.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, xylophone said:

I'm just making sure that I've got plenty of fruit in stock.

Well not just any fruit, actually, they are grapes – – not exactly grapes as we know them, but the juice of which has been turned into wine.

I have got plenty of wine in stock and tomorrow I'm going out to get some more, and might even do a little food shopping whilst I'm at it!

I am in full agreement with your plan. That form of grape juice is one of my primary essentials.

I was crushed last weekend when I was unaware of "no alcohol day" and had a good selection turned back at the checkout! Felt a little better when the  checkout operator was confused when the scanner would not register until the next one over quietly reminded her of why .

• Like 2

No. Food in Thailand is abundant and I don't see any problems there. The only thing is some beer in case they might think that banning alcohol is going to help. But even if that is banned there is always a mom & pop shop. It's Thailand after all.....

6 hours ago, BigStar said:

Sounds like your freezer and shelves have too much unneeded <deleted> taking up precious space. Most of the canned stuff, like Ayam Baked beans, can be thrown out, along with the potatoes, pasta, rice, and bread. That would leave plenty of room for nutritional food, like more meat and frozen fruits and veggies. Makro has quite a lot in stock and can deliver. You may come out of this much healthier.

When I need your advise what i should eat I will ask, I have been eating the

same sh^t for the last 70 odd years, and I am healthy enough, I enjoy what

i eat, and that's the main thing, You'll always have a meal if you have a tin of 

beans in the house. take care

regards worgeordie

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, Thingamabob said:

No, certainly not. I am intrigued by the obsession so many westerners have with toilet paper. Bidets, or the simplified version of them found everywhere in Thailand, are surely cleaner and more convenient.

I just got tired of wet socks.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Crossy said:

People food no problem, but we are running out of doggie treats (Tesco, sorry Lotus's were nil stock today) and our two rottweilers will kill me if they don't get their treats.

OK, they're chihuahuas, but in their minds they are rottweilers ???? 

If you're not vegan, can even eat them in a pinch! Not much meat, though.

20 hours ago, Crossy said:

People food no problem, but we are running out of doggie treats (Tesco, sorry Lotus's were nil stock today) and our two rottweilers will kill me if they don't get their treats.

OK, they're chihuahuas, but in their minds they are rottweilers ???? 

Are you far from Makro?? They stock Kgs+++++++

4 minutes ago, jomtienisgood said:

Are you far from Makro?? They stock Kgs+++++++

We use Makro for doggie food (Pedigree small adult) but our creatures are fussy over treats. Takumi Dogaholic Chicken Jerky required, panic over as a different Lotus's had the relevant stuff today.

13 minutes ago, Crossy said:

We use Makro for doggie food (Pedigree small adult) but our creatures are fussy over treats. Takumi Dogaholic Chicken Jerky required, panic over as a different Lotus's had the relevant stuff today.

That's what you get with HiSo animals. 5555555

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Nojohndoe said:

I am in full agreement with your plan. That form of grape juice is one of my primary essentials.

I was crushed last weekend when I was unaware of "no alcohol day" and had a good selection turned back at the checkout! Felt a little better when the  checkout operator was confused when the scanner would not register until the next one over quietly reminded her of why .

Felt a little better or bitter?? LOL

On 7/29/2021 at 11:45 PM, worgeordie said:

When I need your advise what i should eat I will ask

You were relating a space and food selection issue and therefore a need for advice about it. And so, being ever helpful, I advised you how to resolve that issue intelligently. No good deed goes unpunished, eh? ????

1 hour ago, BigStar said:

You were relating a space and food selection issue and therefore a need for advice about it. And so, being ever helpful, I advised you how to resolve that issue intelligently. No good deed goes unpunished, eh? ????

No I was not....and you were no help at all,sorry , you were telling me what I should eat.

regards Worgeordie

Have been relying for a while now on online orders from 2 or 3 websites as the wife and I wanted to avoid the Makros and BigC in this covid time. Not keen on a 3 hour drive each way to shop for essentials either, though we used to do that once a month.

I get everything I need home delivered and the wife gets all she needs locally. The closed markets have transformed to individuals setting up their stalls in front of their house. Same produce, same faces, just not all in the one place.

I see no sign of shortages and am pretty confident, at least the rural villages will never run out of pork or veg.

I have no plan to turn vegetarian but it's a possibilty long term.

On 7/26/2021 at 6:48 AM, worgeordie said:

In the West there seems to be a shortage of foods on Supermarket

shelves,mostly due to shortage of HGV drivers, but must also be

because of Covid 19 affecting  producers of food stuffs.

"in the West"? - No in the Uk.

The main cause of the shortages in th UK is Brexit which has resulted in the disappearance of truck drivers and shippers.

Covid has affected the UK more tan the EU and many workers are off work in isolation ....

but in the EU supermarket shelves are still fully stocked.

so will covid affect Thai production of food stuffs and imports thereof? Most countries are unaffected seriously in this way.

BTW - it isn't only food in the UK that is not getting through.....other consumer goods are running low too.

Villa and Tops in Bangkok both seem to have a huge number of items out of stock for long periods.  And basics as well such as eggs, chicken, pork, milk.

I just checked eggs on Villa Market online and they have 19 selections, which is much lower than usual, with 16 showing in stock, but when you try to add to cart you find only 3 out of the 19 is in stock

I'm actually wondering whether I should be concerned, which is why I searched and found this thread.

Wondering if its a distribution or a production problem caused by covid