The Older I Become, the Less LIFE, as we know it, Makes Sense to Me. Do you feel the same as I? Like Vonnegut, do you yearn for life on Saturn, someday?

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

working on a big sheep station would have come close ( that was my dream job in school )

So it's true what they say about Kiwis (hope the Welsh don't get jealous)????

Edited by Salerno
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

No thanks. As a mere male I'm more likely to be accused of some nefarious reason for wanting to be around kids than thanked for helping them.

Not going to disagree.  I was just answering the question as to meaning on life when you are old.

9 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Reaching age 62 and still needing to work isn't all that successful IMHO.

Laugh all you want. I was making over 100k per year, but I said I walked away. I don't need your approval.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, sanooki said:

Laugh all you want. I was making over 100k per year, but I said I walked away. I don't need your approval.

Almost everyone on the forum walked away ........ with a lot more.

While there's a few members trying to scrape a living, most are fully financed.

The art of boasting is to claim MORE than everyone else, or a LOT less.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Almost everyone on the forum walked away ........ with a lot more.

Is that why the internet is nearly broken when the price of a beer goes up or a taxi levy of 10 Bht is imposed?

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, 1FinickyOne said:

so, you have reformed your ways? repented?  or believe you have... 

We all have our baggage, but yes, I saw that things were really not right in those places. It's taken a while, and observation from afar while putting together puzzle pieces. I can see what's going on, and it is pure, out of control, evil. I live like a monk. My thoughts might not be pure, but my life is simple, and I consider, more Buddhist in principle than most Thai people. Whatever it's worth. 

9 hours ago, 1FinickyOne said:

I hate to say it, and I am older than you and out of the business world much longer, but the world has changed so much, and exponentially so over the last decade, that it might be arrogant if I thought I could help young people... people used to come to me regularly for business advice, which I can no longer offer...

And so my purpose remains restricted to helping those around me, family and friends, to enjoy each day..

eat well, enjoy each miserable day [as they say] don't live too long and... [fill in the blank according to your individual taste ] 

good luck w/your future endeavors and barking up the right tree... 

Thanks, and you too.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I think Thailand cured me of most of my values.

In my previous life I was a very moral and righteous person.

All gone now.

Everyone has values. But, they don't necessarily equate to the stock ideas of morality and righteousness. Mine sure don't. ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Caldera said:

People who are looking for purpose or meaning invariably seem to end up disappointed. It is what it is, end of.

It is what you make it , at least for you personally ?

I am disappointed by a lot of things happening now , but it might all be necessary , depends on what the final aim is ...

The problem is , that in the meantime some things happen on a much larger scale ( climate , pollution etc ) , that will take away a lot of ' quality of life ' from future generations . That is a process that cannot be stopped anymore .

So , even if the world's population comes down to a healthy level , the environment will be much more hostile .

But , before that happens , a lot of sh-t does .

it's starting already now .

7 hours ago, sanooki said:

My thoughts might not be pure, but my life is simple, and I consider, more Buddhist in principle than most Thai people. Whatever it's worth. 

Though simplicity is relative, the 2nd part of this sentence shows quite a bit of competitiveness... as is apparent in your OP as well... I am not judging that, just mentioning it... I don't think it is part of Buddhism to boast of being more Buddhist... but I understand, you are feeling down at the moment... hope things get better for you.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, swissie said:

Back on topic: Give back something to society.

I did. With no wife or children, I am free to give what I have to whomever I want to. It took me a lot of effort to find the Thai-People that have been good to me during my 5 year stay in Thailend. All "poor-suckers", devastated by "life in Thailand" before and now by Corona. Mostly already impoverished Farmers in the Ratchabury province.

They will be surprised, what "windfall" profit will end up on their Bank-Accouts upon my demise. My distant relatives, that can't wait for me dying will also be surprised: They will get absolutely nothing.
As said, back on topic.

You might want to check the legal situation on giving nothing to those that think they are entitled. I saw a doco that said giving nothing is grounds for a court appeal. Apparently, if you give something they don't have a case. Doesn't have to be much, and I'm pretty sure only applies in woke countries. I doubt Thailand would be part of that.

Up to you.

8 hours ago, nobodysfriend said:

It is what you make it , at least for you personally ?

I am disappointed by a lot of things happening now , but it might all be necessary , depends on what the final aim is ...

The problem is , that in the meantime some things happen on a much larger scale ( climate , pollution etc ) , that will take away a lot of ' quality of life ' from future generations . That is a process that cannot be stopped anymore .

So , even if the world's population comes down to a healthy level , the environment will be much more hostile .

But , before that happens , a lot of sh-t does .

it's starting already now .

Climate change might result in perpetual summer where I live, which I would enjoy.

IMO, the real problem for humans is overpopulation, leading to pollution, toxic cities, jammed roads, destruction of environment on a massive scale and wars over water and resources.

All the emphasis on climate change, gender identity, CRT and other such are distractions from the above problem, and it is a problem.

IMO, unless humanity solves the population bomb, everything else is just delaying the inevitable end of humanity on planet earth.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/29/2021 at 1:10 AM, GammaGlobulin said:

As we age, the tougher it gets, simply because we rarely engage in the things that we once loved to do, such has humping and flirting, and combing our hair, which is not so easy to comb when you might not have any hair.

As I aged and came to Thailand (52 up) humping and flirting went through the roof. I'm not sure if I'm losing interest now (65 up) because I'm old or I've done it too much.

Edited by BritManToo

3 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I don't know that I have an answer that makes sense, but IMO humans tend to lose interest in things they once enjoyed. I don't know why that is, but seems to be true.

I must be different because I still want to do the things I used to enjoy, but given no one else I know does, it's not possible.

Eg, a group of us used to go to a certain beach at Christmas time every year for many years, but eventually the rest decided they didn't want to anymore. I could go by myself, but the attraction was mainly the group.

If you went to the beach every day for a year, you'd probably lose that interest.

You still have an interest in women because you're living where none are available.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Climate change might result in perpetual summer where I live, which I would enjoy.

People like to think that global warming just leads to higher temperatures ... but that is not the case .

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-24021772

" As the world warms, more water evaporates, leading to more moisture in the air. This means many areas will experience more intense rainfall - and in some places snowfall. But the risk of drought in inland areas during hot summers will increase. More flooding is expected from storms and rising sea levels. But there are likely to be very strong regional variations in these patterns. "

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-57867773

BtW , Climate change affects the Gulf stream  ,( weakens it ) , That might lead to cooler temperatures where you live .

Edited by nobodysfriend
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, nobodysfriend said:

People like to think that global warming just leads to higher temperatures ... but that is not the case .

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-24021772

" As the world warms, more water evaporates, leading to more moisture in the air. This means many areas will experience more intense rainfall - and in some places snowfall. But the risk of drought in inland areas during hot summers will increase. More flooding is expected from storms and rising sea levels. But there are likely to be very strong regional variations in these patterns. "

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-57867773

BtW , Climate change affects the Gulf stream  ,( weakens it ) , That might lead to cooler temperatures where you live .

All BS based of fraud.

Mann started this with his faked Hockey Stick ........ he should be in jail for the rest of his life for the damage he's caused with his fake climate alarmism.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

All BS based of fraud.

Mann started this with his faked Hockey Stick ........ he should be in jail for the rest of his life for the damage he's caused with his fake climate alarmism.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-57788118

http://spaceref.com/earth/earths-vital-signs-worsen-amid-business-as-usual-mindset-on-climate-change.html

https://theconversation.com/the-north-american-heatwave-shows-we-need-to-know-how-climate-change-will-change-our-weather-163802?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Latest from The Conversation for July 2 2021 - 1992119572&utm_content=Latest from The Conversation for July 2 2021 - 1992119572+CID_22b376673499252f8c19e3996cb14496&utm_source=campaign_monitor_uk&utm_term=The North American heatwave shows we need to know how climate change will change our weather

https://www.bangkokpost.com/world/2102027/world-running-out-of-time-to-tackle-climate-crisis-un?utm_campaign=enewsletter regular&utm_source=enewsletter_alert&utm_medium=World&_extid=subscriber379887

https://www.bangkokpost.com/world/2097495/biodiversity-hot-spots-devastated-in-warming-world?utm_campaign=enewsletter regular&utm_source=enewsletter_alert&utm_medium=World&_extid=subscriber379887

https://www.aljazeera.com/economy/2021/2/2/nature-is-our-home-new-uk-report-urges-big-economic-rethink

https://www.bangkokpost.com/world/2001327/climate-change-spurs-doubling-of-disasters-since-2000-un?utm_campaign=enewsletter regular&utm_source=enewsletter_alert&utm_medium=World&_extid=subscriber379887

You still do not believe in what is happening now ?

Come on , wake up , man ...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, nobodysfriend said:

You still do not believe in what is happening now ?

Come on , wake up , man ...

Personal experience, in the past 60 years the climate hasn't changed in any way I can see.

I have no reason to believe it will change in the next 60 years .....

But have little personal interest in changes happening after the next 10 years (or less).

There are sudden floods ........ as there have always been.

The are forest fires ........ as there have always been.

The sea level hasn't changed in any way I can measure.

It doesn't seem any hotter or colder or wetter or drier in any of the places I've lived.

People I've known don't appear to be dying with greater (or lessor) frequency.

Diseases don't appear to be more or less frequent/severe than they ever were in my lifetime.

The world is suddenly full of fearmongering BS, which I just ignore as much as possible.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2