Mosquitoes ????

Kanada

43 minutes ago, kwonitoy said:

They are a UV light that I don't want direct eye contact with, and the mosquito's seemed to like congregating under my desk. Same with the one in the bathroom, wet and dark and that thing is a bug killen machine.

bathroom.jpg

I get it….just thought there might be a tactic reason that I wasn’t thinking of!

we don’t have an issue with them in the house it seems….but trying to sit outside in the evening is miserable!

25 minutes ago, kwonitoy said:

If you look at the grid inside you will see it is full of dead mosquitoes. I clean it weekly and there are literally hundreds of dead and fried mosquitoes. I don't care if the UV is what attracts them or just random flying as long as they stop living.

Pretty obvious you’d know what bugs it killing!!

Some people are experts on everything aren’t they????

25 minutes ago, KarenBravo said:

Yes, I'm sure it does kill a lot of bugs., but doubt many of them are mosquitoes. Pity that mosquitoes are not attracted to UV light, or indeed any kind of light.

They home in on their targets by sensing the carbon dioxide emanating from them.

Actually they are, as are all other insects, attracted to UV light.  And used inside zappers can be effective (outside not a good choice as they will kill everything).  The downside is rather hard to sleep with one in bedroom.  And most of the cheaper versions have LED's which do not seem to work at all and those using blacklight bulbs require expensive replacement quite often.  

• Like 2

When we lived in a rural area, I would spray/fog once a week with the usual cans of mozzie stuff while they're down/hiding during the day (except the striped ones)  - garden and potted plants, under patio furniture, basically any dark, recessed area that's inviting to them, before they rise up for their evening feed.  Never get them all, or enough to put much of a dent in their breeding cycle, but it did thin them out quite a bit, for a while.  

Also noticed that when we were still abroad, coming to Thailand for holidays at the house,  I was a mozzie magnet, but after (roughly) 5 years living here full-time, not so much.  We live in a typical suburban moo baan now, so unlike the country house living, we keep the doors and windows closed during the day, which keeps the mozzies at bay, and also reduces the amount of plentiful airborne dust from getting in the house.

30 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Actually they are, as are all other insects, attracted to UV light.  And used inside zappers can be effective (outside not a good choice as they will kill everything).  The downside is rather hard to sleep with one in bedroom.  And most of the cheaper versions have LED's which do not seem to work at all and those using blacklight bulbs require expensive replacement quite often.  

I only use it in the bathroom, best spot, and under my desk, seems to work best at night. But I don't get bite anymore sitting at the desk.

Bedroom I keep closed up during the day and that seems to do the trick.

The UV bulbs last over a year and when something gives out I just buy a new one. Bug zapper that is.

On 8/4/2021 at 8:22 PM, law ling said:

One of my "must haves" when looking for a room or condo to rent is insect screens on all windows (and balcony doors, if any) - and they're not easy to find, in my limited experience.

Amazing to me that screens are not standard here in condos given the numbers of mosquitos. Looked at many over the years and can remember only one that was adequately screened. 

• Like 1

On 8/4/2021 at 8:30 AM, lopburi3 said:

We have been using Portoti brand light/fan/trap type for last six months and after first week or so almost no mosquitos.  It is not cheap at 900 baht each but low priced versions we used were a fire danger as cheap plastic becomes open flame from overheating fans.  This is very well made and easy to clean and almost all victims are mosquitos.  Have on indoor and another outdoor and they work great - fresh kill outside down to a handful a night from hundreds when started, (almost none inside) so keeping population down also.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/portoti-pr-25mb-mosquito-pest-killer-i174536187-s358395528.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.5.559367631N7Ksv&search=1&freeshipping=1

Thanks Lopburi,

i have tried the cheaper ones, and not one mosquito, but about 1- moths. Will try this one on your recommendation although at the moment Lazada are out of stock !!!

2 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

Thanks Lopburi,

i have tried the cheaper ones, and not one mosquito, but about 1- moths. Will try this one on your recommendation although at the moment Lazada are out of stock !!!

This seller on Shopee will accept orders at about 900 baht but 7 day delay for shipment.  

https://shopee.co.th/เครื่องดักยุง-portoti-(ปอโตตี้)-PR-25MBMosquito-PestKiller-โคมไฟดักยุงของแท้-100-จากผู้ผลิต-รับประกับ-1-ปีเต็ม-i.481540068.10116852817?position=1

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I left Thailand last year after 20 years there.

Barely a day goes by here where I don’t rejoice in the fact that I no longer have to deal with or think about mosquitos!! 

Even if I do get bitten by one here in Australia (rare anyway) I don’t have to think about Dengue (which I had in Koh Chang 15 years ago and was the sickest I have ever been).

It did always amaze me though how seemingly completely unaware of Mosquito minimisation Thais were…standing water everywhere and not a care in the world! And no shortage if Dengue among the Thais either.

10 minutes ago, Marvin Hagler said:

I left Thailand last year after 20 years there.

Barely a day goes by here where I don’t rejoice in the fact that I no longer have to deal with or think about mosquitos!! 

Even if I do get bitten by one here in Australia (rare anyway) I don’t have to think about Dengue (which I had in Koh Chang 15 years ago and was the sickest I have ever been).

It did always amaze me though how seemingly completely unaware of Mosquito minimisation Thais were…standing water everywhere and not a care in the world! And no shortage if Dengue among the Thais either.

Dengue, Ross River fever and numerous Mosquito born diseases are alive and well in Australia also mate. Do not let your guard down. 

48 minutes ago, sherwood said:

Dengue, Ross River fever and numerous Mosquito born diseases are alive and well in Australia also mate. Do not let your guard down. 

In addition to the most poisonous spiders and snakes in the world. 

On 8/6/2021 at 1:05 PM, lopburi3 said:

No they are not.

https://home.howstuffworks.com/do-bug-zappers-fight-mosquitoes.htm

https://insectcop.net/why-mosquitoes-attracted-to-light/

https://pointe-pest.com/mosquito-faqs/why-are-mosquitoes-attracted-to-uv-lights/

1 hour ago, KarenBravo said:

One might expect pest control web sites to say such.  They want your money to provide more expensive routes.  

4 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

One might expect pest control web sites to say such.  They want your money to provide more expensive routes.  

.....and the other two links I gave?

The three links supplied were just three of dozens of sites that say mosquitoes aren't attracted to light.

31 minutes ago, KarenBravo said:

.....and the other two links I gave?

The three links supplied were just three of dozens of sites that say mosquitoes aren't attracted to light.

I live in the mountains in Samoeng and have to partially disagree….I walk down the lane to lock the gate in the dark some nights and once out of the outside lights of the house and into the dark it’s seldom you’ll be bitten!

You can’t stand around under the lights of the house or they’ll eat you alive! My theory is that the odd bight I get in the dark is from a mosquito that followed me from the lights!

On the other hand….not nearly so bad in the town itself with all the lights etc.

I've been lurking in the background of this thread and bought one of the first mentioned zappers mentioned and here is the link:

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/portoti-pr-25mb-mosquito-pest-killer-i2446139267-s8486400578.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.22.11242510T69CT1&search=1&freeshipping=1

It just arrived about 30 minutes ago. I have no idea yet if it works or not but just wanted to mention how surprised I was at the small size and lightweight. I will admit to not reading the listing, I just went on the recommendation of the other posters and not calling them out at all. But just saying....it's about the size of a coffee can, but with an umbrella head. Just really small. And weights far less than that coffee can does. It looks like a little toy. Yeah, might be good for under your desk but can't imagine for much more given its size. It is not an industrial killing machine, I would think but happy to be proven wrong. It's just so tiny and cheap feeling. But again, this is all anecdotal and again, not complaining about it. Just pointing out the tiny size and cheap quality. Must weight about 250 grams.

Cheers, Bam

26 minutes ago, bamboozled said:

I've been lurking in the background of this thread and bought one of the first mentioned zappers mentioned and here is the link:

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/portoti-pr-25mb-mosquito-pest-killer-i2446139267-s8486400578.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.22.11242510T69CT1&search=1&freeshipping=1

It just arrived about 30 minutes ago. I have no idea yet if it works or not but just wanted to mention how surprised I was at the small size and lightweight. I will admit to not reading the listing, I just went on the recommendation of the other posters and not calling them out at all. But just saying....it's about the size of a coffee can, but with an umbrella head. Just really small. And weights far less than that coffee can does. It looks like a little toy. Yeah, might be good for under your desk but can't imagine for much more given its size. It is not an industrial killing machine, I would think but happy to be proven wrong. It's just so tiny and cheap feeling. But again, this is all anecdotal and again, not complaining about it. Just pointing out the tiny size and cheap quality. Must weight about 250 grams.

Cheers, Bam

Although it looks a bit different than what I ordered believe same unit but newer and indeed it is small and light - and best to hang rather than place on ground (instructions should point that out).  Give it a try and count the dead - believe you will be impressed (unless using in a mosquito free area).  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Although it looks a bit different than what I ordered believe same unit but newer and indeed it is small and light - and best to hang rather than place on ground (instructions should point that out).  Give it a try and count the dead - believe you will be impressed (unless using in a mosquito free area).  

Thanks, Lopburi. Yes, I absolutely wasn't trying to slam you in any way, nor the other poster, and appreciate the advice. I just didn't read at all the description (in Thai anyway!) and was expecting something that was bigger and more robust. Certainly seems quite expensive for some plastic and a cheap fan motor. What do you think justifies the price, if anything?

I don't know if it's a UV light....the 6 purple dots where the light is coming from look to me like LEDs but I suppose I might not know the difference. The plug is a USB plug, which I'm not all that happy about. How about your version, Lopburi!

Cheers, Bam

49 minutes ago, bamboozled said:

Thanks, Lopburi. Yes, I absolutely wasn't trying to slam you in any way, nor the other poster, and appreciate the advice. I just didn't read at all the description (in Thai anyway!) and was expecting something that was bigger and more robust. Certainly seems quite expensive for some plastic and a cheap fan motor. What do you think justifies the price, if anything?

I don't know if it's a UV light....the 6 purple dots where the light is coming from look to me like LEDs but I suppose I might not know the difference. The plug is a USB plug, which I'm not all that happy about. How about your version, Lopburi!

Cheers, Bam

Starting to sound fake - light is not LED and a thin/straight straw size lamp made in Japan - plug is 220v transformer (no USB) - fan is computer grade and replaceable.  And advertising and photos on that link seem to show same unit as mine as being sent to customers although advertised photo slightly different (long feet which is not on mine - and look of plastic on side openings which is mesh screen on mine).  

• Like 1

The children decided that the dog needs his "VIP treatment" at night while he sleeps on his cushion by the front door. This consists of a mosquito zapper with some sort of black or UV light on a ledge nearby and a small fan placed on the steps near his cushion. While the bug zapper does fill with insects over time, the fan seems to be more effective. Depending upon the time of year, the steps will be covered in the morning with literally hundreds of mosquitos that have been killed by being sucked through the fan.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

Starting to sound fake - light is not LED and a thin/straight straw size lamp made in Japan - plug is 220v transformer (no USB) - fan is computer grade and replaceable.  And advertising and photos on that link seem to show same unit as mine as being sent to customers although advertised photo slightly different (long feet which is not on mine - and look of plastic on side openings which is mesh screen on mine).  

I don't happen to have a lot of mosquitos buzzing around at the moment, strangely, so not the best time to test it. But looking at it and picking it up, seems like it should come out of a gumball machine. Maybe I'll return it, if possible. Thanks for your time.

On 8/4/2021 at 6:26 AM, bamboozled said:

You can have an operation (not cheap!) to become ethnically Thai after which the mosquitos will no longer bother you.

What I'm getting at, of course, is that, for example, I sit outside with my wife and she's got not a care in the world concerning the 'skeeters while I, on the other hand, actually, no, let me take that hand back, I need BOTH for swatting the buggers!

Mosquitoes need ATTRACTING - if you break any of the 3 stages, CO2, silhouette and body heat., you will have less problems.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Thunglom said:

Mosquitoes need ATTRACTING - if you break any of the 3 stages, CO2, silhouette and body heat., you will have less problems.

So when we stop breathing and body becomes cold in a casket we are safe?  

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

So when we stop breathing and body becomes cold in a casket we are safe?  

Yes - but when alive some people are more "visible" to mozzies than others - basically female mozzies have evolved a set of senses to find a buffalo in the dark ...so the less you look or behave like that, the better.

On 8/8/2021 at 1:27 PM, Kanada said:

I live in the mountains in Samoeng and have to partially disagree….I walk down the lane to lock the gate in the dark some nights and once out of the outside lights of the house and into the dark it’s seldom you’ll be bitten!

You can’t stand around under the lights of the house or they’ll eat you alive! My theory is that the odd bight I get in the dark is from a mosquito that followed me from the lights!

On the other hand….not nearly so bad in the town itself with all the lights etc.

you need to review your personal observations and replace them with critical thinking. Mosquitoes aren't attracted to light per se, they are attracted to CO2..... they may become disorientated in street lights which might affect their flying patterns. Of course some other insects ARE attracted to lights and you will see groups in the glow of street lights. with mosquitoes, after they sense your CO2 they begin to close in - then they "see" you, as a silhouette (against the light?) and finally they use a heat sensor to plunge in.

Remember that only the female bites and this is for protein to grow their eggs. When thy lay they like to be near a water source where they will lay eggs in or very close to. Dengue mozzies seldom fly more than a few hundred feet from their source. Removing standing water from a property will help reduce the numbers flying around.

Edited by Thunglom
  • Like 1

On 8/6/2021 at 7:05 AM, lopburi3 said:

Mozzies have never been shown to be attracted to light sources. (some gizmo manufacturers may erroneously or misleadingly claim this). other insects are and if a mozzie drifted in it might get killed.