Mosquitoes ????

Kanada

49 minutes ago, Tanomazu said:

It's really only an issue in the countryside. In metropolitan areas the chances of Dengue are very small.

I'm actually surprised how few mosquitos there are in the city sometimes.

I was surprised and slightly relieved (sorry) to read that the dengue carrying mosquito thrives and is more prevalent in the cities for some reason….that’s where the majority of dengue cases come from!

36 minutes ago, Kanada said:

I was surprised and slightly relieved (sorry) to read that the dengue carrying mosquito thrives and is more prevalent in the cities for some reason….that’s where the majority of dengue cases come from!

That's not what the science that I read says:

"They found that at low human population densities, mostly in rural areas, dengue risk is up to three times higher than in cities, presumably because the number of mosquitoes per individual is higher in low density areas."

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/08/110830193842.htm

• Like 1

image.jpeg.c379654567181a3ce3da78dcec5a8c14.jpeg
The Aedes Aegypti mosquito, or dengue mosquito, is dark coloured and has typical white markings on the legs and lyre like markings on the thorax. It is significantly smaller in size, being only 4 to 7 millimetres long. In this species, the female mosquitoes are longer than males.

Its always the little guys you have to watch out for…..supposedly for-two hours after sunrise and two hours befor sunset and mostly on your ankles and elbows but you can’t trust the little %#!£+*…..I  don’t think they’re much on telling time wouldn’t put it past one of them to drill you in the back around noon

1 minute ago, Tanomazu said:

"They found that at low human population densities, mostly in rural areas, dengue risk is up to three times higher than in cities, presumably because the number of mosquitoes per individual is higher in low density areas."

Just the opposite to what I read….your source sounds credible and I can’t remember where I read mine????
Mosquitoes aren’t known for their big brains and they just look untrustworthy to say the least so I’ll be wary either in town or country????

27 minutes ago, Kanada said:

Just the opposite to what I read….your source sounds credible and I can’t remember where I read mine????
Mosquitoes aren’t known for their big brains and they just look untrustworthy to say the least so I’ll be wary either in town or country????

Like you I am also wary of mosquitos. Have at the beginning always used long trousers, shirts, and high strength DEET sprays. However, when that became unpracticable I realised that it was not necessary as I mostly stayed in the cities. Longer period never had any issues with Dengue. Even if the risk in rural areas is 3 times higher, obviously by the nature of numbers there will be more cases in the cities, but as a total figure the number of cases is very small, even during outbreaks.

If I was in the countryside I would be more wary. So, you are right to raise this and be concerned. Horrible creatures.

for dengue is dengvaxia. For those living in tropics minimum 9 years or with confirmed infection.

3 doses every 6 month at 3k per dose. Probably protects for life. Tropical doctor from mahidol told me, to my surprise, that no booster needed - each infected bite will work as a booster. 

Humans are the only hosts for this virus. School kids spread it the most through communities. During covid times, when schools closed, dengue fall substantially 

Long term acclimation and accustomization are your greatest allies and defence.

....and overt consciousness of the little buggers is quite detrimental to your already imagined misery. 

1 minute ago, zzaa09 said:

Long term acclimation and accustomization are your greatest allies and defence.

....and overt consciousness of the little buggers is quite detrimental to your already imagined misery. 

Huh????

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, law ling said:

One of my "must haves" when looking for a room or condo to rent is insect screens on all windows (and balcony doors, if any) - and they're not easy to find, in my limited experience.

This is correct what you say. And a Farang guy who rents out a lot of rooms told me "Then they will open the windows and not use the aircon so much". And of course he charged 9 Baht for the kWh. More than 5 Baht of what he gets charged. And of course in his case with so many rooms it is against the law. But who cares...

6 hours ago, Tanomazu said:

Correct.

This has been my understanding forever - dengue thrives in rural and forested regions more so than urban situations.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, internationalism said:

for dengue is dengvaxia. For those living in tropics minimum 9 years or with confirmed infection.

3 doses every 6 month at 3k per dose. Probably protects for life. Tropical doctor from mahidol told me, to my surprise, that no booster needed - each infected bite will work as a booster. 

Humans are the only hosts for this virus. School kids spread it the most through communities. During covid times, when schools closed, dengue fall substantially 

Huge controversy about the drug “dengvaxia”….scary in the Philippines!

dengvaxia was politicised by duterte, as a tool against opposition.

approved in the EU some 3 years ago https://www.ema.europa.eu/en/medicines/human/EPAR/dengvaxia

also in the  USA 2019

I had first shot it in 2017, just after getting infected and knocked down for weeks. I had second shot a year later.

My second infection was very mild, just headache for a few days. After that I had my 3rd shot.

A month ago doctor refused to give me a booster..

There is a possibility, that 2 shots already give full protection. Even one shot might do partially

I mix my own repellent using a blend of citronella, lemongrass and eucalyptus oils. The last one cuts down the smell to a tolerable level. A very effective blend. Also works to keep flies away. All flying insects seem to hate the smell. Lasts a few hours, and is not toxic like the DEET stuff, which gets into the liver if used often. 

13 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

I mix my own repellent using a blend of citronella, lemongrass and eucalyptus oils. The last one cuts down the smell to a tolerable level. A very effective blend. Also works to keep flies away. All flying insects seem to hate the smell. Lasts a few hours, and is not toxic like the DEET stuff, which gets into the liver if used often. 

from my research, in that order of effectiveness:

Geraniol เจอรานิออล
is an alcohol, effective for two to four hours, depending on the species. Avoid use if you have sensitive skin

Citriodiol, p-Menthane-3,8-diol, para-menthane-3,8-diol, PMD, or menthoglycol. Lemon eucalyptus oil (eucalyptus citriodora, Corymbia citriodora) OLE extract 35% (not the essential oil) 10% percent, provided more than 95 percent protection against mosquitoes for three hours. Researchers from the University of Florida caution against using the mixture on children under 3 years of age.

Greek catnip oil Nepeta cataria (catnip, catswort, and catmint) repel mosquitoes effectively for two to three hours. "Not as effective as a repellent when used on the skin".

Lavender ลาเวนเดอร์สามัญ Lavandula angustifolia has analgesic, antifungal, and antiseptic qualities. This means that in addition to preventing mosquito bites, it can calm and soothe the skin.

Thyme oil 5% applied to the skin provided a 91 percent protection rate.

Cajeput (tea tree)

Neem Oil 70 percent protection for three hours. Can cause skin irritation. Organic, virgin.

Soybean oil, organic virgin

Cinnamon oil 1%

black pepper alcohol (ethanol) extract

Mint, Eucalyptus, Lemon Balm and or Lemon Grass, Rosemary, Clove, cinnamon, citronella provided little protection.

Edited by internationalism

13 hours ago, law ling said:

One of my "must haves" when looking for a room or condo to rent is insect screens on all windows (and balcony doors, if any) - and they're not easy to find, in my limited experience.

I've heard some mosquitos have an altitude limit, meaning if outside they won't fly above a certain height. Of course if they enter a building/condo below their "no-fly zone" they can work their way up the stairwells/elevators. 

On 8/4/2021 at 8:59 AM, Gottfrid said:

Just drink enough beer and they will not bite. Trust me, I have many years of experience.

Farang living in my village used to drink outside at night, wearing only shorts and T-shirt.  Claimed that if he was bitten enough he would develop immunity.

His legs were covered with mossy bites.   He contracted encephalitis, and died from it.  This should be a warning for everyone here.   No prophylactic's against Encephalitis, so cover up to avoid being bitten.  The only safe nd sure way.

mozzies have been that bad this year we have had to put a fan out for the dogs of a night to stop them being bitten, they both sleep in front of the fan too. We also have one of the mozzie traps that attract them(infa red) in their area, before we started using these methods dogs were covered in bites every morning, we just avoid going outside of a night unless we really have to

16 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Bangkok, an apartment in a high floor: No mosquitos 24/7. ????  

An apt on the 24th floor.    High speed internet.    Grab to deliver food .  sex delivered to your door.

You do live the life !   

All those chemicals !!!!!!!!    Look,  i get a few strange looks ,   but no bites .   Well, got one when i took a pee........ 

mosquito net clothing All products are discounted, Cheaper Than Retail  Price, Free Delivery & Returns OFF 61%

Edited by rumak

1 hour ago, internationalism said:

from my research, in that order of effectiveness:

Geraniol เจอรานิออล
is an alcohol, effective for two to four hours, depending on the species. Avoid use if you have sensitive skin

Citriodiol, p-Menthane-3,8-diol, para-menthane-3,8-diol, PMD, or menthoglycol. Lemon eucalyptus oil (eucalyptus citriodora, Corymbia citriodora) OLE extract 35% (not the essential oil) 10% percent, provided more than 95 percent protection against mosquitoes for three hours. Researchers from the University of Florida caution against using the mixture on children under 3 years of age.

Greek catnip oil Nepeta cataria (catnip, catswort, and catmint) repel mosquitoes effectively for two to three hours. "Not as effective as a repellent when used on the skin".

Lavender ลาเวนเดอร์สามัญ Lavandula angustifolia has analgesic, antifungal, and antiseptic qualities. This means that in addition to preventing mosquito bites, it can calm and soothe the skin.

Thyme oil 5% applied to the skin provided a 91 percent protection rate.

Cajeput (tea tree)

Neem Oil 70 percent protection for three hours. Can cause skin irritation. Organic, virgin.

Soybean oil, organic virgin

Cinnamon oil 1%

black pepper alcohol (ethanol) extract

Mint, Eucalyptus, Lemon Balm and or Lemon Grass, Rosemary, Clove, cinnamon, citronella provided little protection.

That may be from your clinical research, but often in the real world, things are quite different. It matters little to me what the studies say. What matters to me is how many mosquitos are biting me, and how many flies are pestering me. In my years of trying different oils, and blends, this is one of the best ones, one of the most effective ones, one that lasts the longest, and one that smells the most pleasant.

1 hour ago, Robin said:

Farang living in my village used to drink outside at night, wearing only shorts and T-shirt.  Claimed that if he was bitten enough he would develop immunity.

His legs were covered with mossy bites.   He contracted encephalitis, and died from it.  This should be a warning for everyone here.   No prophylactic's against Encephalitis, so cover up to avoid being bitten.  The only safe nd sure way.

Thanks for sharing. ????

The only possible explanation here must be that he didn´t drink enough.

2 hours ago, Robin said:

some less than 50 die in thailand yearly. In very rural areas.

For Japanese encephalitis there is a vax, about 1k.

All thai are vaccinated at birth

https://www.iamat.org/country/thailand/risk/japanese-encephalitis

2 hours ago, Robin said:

41D92FD5-B135-4711-B7F9-873E0B6FDC8A.jpeg

I use these bug zappers, Buy them at homepro for less than 1000 baht each. One under my desk, pictured. one in the downstairs bathroom under the sink cabinet. Work like a charm. Sounds like a lightening strike when a bug hits them. Especially effective at night. They are on 24/7

20210806_115313_resized.jpg

10 minutes ago, kwonitoy said:

I use these bug zappers, Buy them at homepro for less than 1000 baht each. One under my desk, pictured. one in the downstairs bathroom under the sink cabinet. Work like a charm. Sounds like a lightening strike when a bug hits them. Especially effective at night. They are on 24/7

Just wondering why you hide them away rather than a more prominent spot?

4 minutes ago, Kanada said:

Just wondering why you hide them away rather than a more prominent spot?

They are a UV light that I don't want direct eye contact with, and the mosquito's seemed to like congregating under my desk. Same with the one in the bathroom, wet and dark and that thing is a bug killen machine.

bathroom.jpg

31 minutes ago, kwonitoy said:

Yes, I'm sure it does kill a lot of bugs., but doubt many of them are mosquitoes. Pity that mosquitoes are not attracted to UV light, or indeed any kind of light.

They home in on their targets by sensing the carbon dioxide emanating from them.

• Like 1