One dose of AstraZeneca “highly effective” against different variants, study shows

webfact

What I have seen now with Thai friends is that they are now getting scheduled for a first shot of Sinovac or Sinopharm and then AZ for the second shot.

I believe the reason for this is that all those that have got AZ as their first shot the last couple of months will start getting their second shots next month.  Meaning there will not be AZ available to give people for their first shots unless they start producing more than they have been.

• Like 1

I guess Mrs Dog's friend was just unlucky.  Five people in his family who had had their first shots of AZ 3 weeks earlier got sick enough to be hospitalised and one of them died and another was in the ICU.  The deceased and the ICU patient had diabetes, but and were overweight even so, it seems a fairly poor record.  (Two young unvaccinated kids in the household also had to be hospitalised for good measure.) 

Edited by Dogmatix

3 minutes ago, Dogmatix said:

I guess Mrs Dog's friend was just unlucky.  Five people in his family who had had their first shots of AZ 3 weeks earlier got sick enough to be hospitalised and one of them died and another was in the ICU.  The deceased and the ICU patient had diabetes, but and were overweight even so, it seems a fairly poor record.  (Two young unvaccinated kids in the household also had to be hospitalised for good measure.) 

Sick from the vaccine or they all got Covid

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nojohndoe said:

Made where? It has been nobbled in the US. Funding "paused" . Was being produced in same site as AZ and J&J but  now only making J&J. Contamination issues cited in production . So is J&J somehow not despite being from same plant?

I read something earlier today (here on AN) that said N had passed some initial performance tests IN UK. Further tests to follow.

2 hours ago, CANSIAM said:

I guess at your first jab, AZ was not available. Its quite possible with the Thai  Sino/AZ cocktail your vaccination status if arriving in other countries may not be accepted. 

Yes, that was the case, Sino then Astra. I had been made aware that some countries may not accept a mix of vaccines, but I wanted some protection for now. I purchased 2 doses of Moderna to be administered at Lanna Hospital in Chiang Mai. Supposed to be October but may be set back until January and I felt that I would be too long without protection if I waited. McCormick hospital in Chiang Mai offered these two jabs for free so I took advantage.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Another one who believes the fake news stories about it all being false and Covid not being real.

People have a choice in what they believe in , when a percent of  the population starts thinking its quite alright to say no and those who oppose start thinking they have a right to harm or ostracize then we have real problems . Google the 10 steps to genocide and see where we currently are . Thats if you can be arsed to look at something you think is " fake " 

5 minutes ago, greg71 said:

People have a choice in what they believe in , when a percent of  the population starts thinking its quite alright to say no and those who oppose start thinking they have a right to harm or ostracize then we have real problems . Google the 10 steps to genocide and see where we currently are . Thats if you can be arsed to look at something you think is " fake " 

So are you also saying the pandemic is fake just because someone believes it is, especially with all the proof it's not fake? Then add in vaccines to help and then your saying its fake also? Hard to understand those who believe it's a conspiracy and fake.  To choose not to have a vaccination that's fine but to say they are also not real is another conspiracy.  Enjoy.

6 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

So are you also saying the pandemic is fake just because someone believes it is, especially with all the proof it's not fake? Then add in vaccines to help and then your saying its fake also? Hard to understand those who believe it's a conspiracy and fake.  To choose not to have a vaccination that's fine but to say they are also not real is another conspiracy.  Enjoy.

I didnt say its not real . My wife had it 3 weeks ago and was forced in quarantine , i myself had symptoms like no smell and taste which has come back this week, slight fever and loss of appetite , other than than i was fine and didnt take anything other than a multi vitamin and fish oil which ive done for the past 10 years &  continued to do my weight and cardio training each day .No i didnt get tested as i preferred not to be forced into a private hospital at great expense . Oh by the way she was given invermectin 2 tabs x 3 times per day and favipiravir 400 2 tabs x 2times per day . Both of us are well have now have antibodies to whatever we had ,im in no rush to put these solutions into my body until 2023 when the clinical trials wrap up .

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, greg71 said:

I didnt say its not real . My wife had it 3 weeks ago and was forced in quarantine , i myself had symptoms like no smell and taste which has come back this week, slight fever and loss of appetite , other than than i was fine and didnt take anything other than a multi vitamin and fish oil which ive done for the past 10 years &  continued to do my weight and cardio training each day .No i didnt get tested as i preferred not to be forced into a private hospital at great expense . Oh by the way she was given invermectin 2 tabs x 3 times per day and favipiravir 400 2 tabs x 2times per day . Both of us are well have now have antibodies to whatever we had ,im in no rush to put these solutions into my body until 2023 when the clinical trials wrap up .

Thanks for the clarification.  Not sure how she was given ivermectin here in Thailand as I have not heard of it being given as a medical regime here. She must be part of the trial listed in the link below. 

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.nationthailand.com/in-focus/40002679&ved=2ahUKEwjjk_rM8J7yAhW0xzgGHatPCe4QFnoECAwQAg&usg=AOvVaw1nawnvbidxRExg_DIRk9lo

Edited by ThailandRyan

28 minutes ago, greg71 said:

Interesting ! So if your wife was forced into quarantine I am interested to understand how if you had symptoms yet avoided contact trace and track?

Was your weight and cardio  routine  in private or undertaken in a public place exposing others to your self presumed infectious condition  ?

Edited by Nojohndoe
typing correction

4 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Thanks for the clarification.  Not sure how she was given ivermectin here in Thailand as I have not heard of it being given as a medical regime here.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.nationthailand.com/in-focus/40002679&ved=2ahUKEwjjk_rM8J7yAhW0xzgGHatPCe4QFnoECAwQAg&usg=AOvVaw1nawnvbidxRExg_DIRk9lo

Why dont you call Ramkhamhaeng hospital and ask them yourself . Dont believe everything you read in the media mate .

8 minutes ago, greg71 said:

Why dont you call Ramkhamhaeng hospital and ask them yourself . Dont believe everything you read in the media mate .

The only use of ivermectin in Thailand now is a trial they are doing, so she must be a test subject then is all I am saying. Read the last part of the article to understand as there are two test groups. 

Edited by ThailandRyan

1 minute ago, Nojohndoe said:

Interesting ! So i our wife was forced into quarantine I am interested to understand how if you had symptoms yet avoided contact trace and track?

Was your weight and cardio  routine  in private or undertaken in a public place exposing others to your self presumed infectious condition  ?

I asked her to say she lived alone as your fully aware once a westerner comes into the equation then its fair game when it come to pricing especially for medical care ( which wasnt needed) , and yes i have a gym and a air assault bike .Yes presumed yes but when you live in the same house sleeping in the same bed the chances i had it a rather high . Didnt go out as i cook at home by the way with a freezer stock with meats and make my own bread ,have 10 kgs of rice and enough legumes to feed a large village .

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

The only use of ivermectin in Thailand now is a trial they are doing, so she must be a test subject then is all I am saying. 

She was also given 2 boxes to take home as well . 

inv.jpg

2 minutes ago, greg71 said:

She was also given 2 boxes to take home as well . 

inv.jpg

Then read the last part of the article I linked as she must be in the second group of the clinical trial which is ongoing. I find it funny that you reject the vaccines as unproven yet you allow your wife to be a test subject.  

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, greg71 said:

I asked her to say she lived alone as your fully aware once a westerner comes into the equation then its fair game when it come to pricing especially for medical care ( which wasnt needed) , and yes i have a gym and a air assault bike .Yes presumed yes but when you live in the same house sleeping in the same bed the chances i had it a rather high . Didnt go out as i cook at home by the way with a freezer stock with meats and make my own bread ,have 10 kgs of rice and enough legumes to feed a large village .

Fair enough on all accounts as told.

You can probably understand my questions were based on the wider question of social responsibility....which too many selfishly ignore.

However I do wonder if you have a return of symptoms without knowing what time frame you refer to overall that you may need consider the possibility of "long covid" and all the ramifications of it?

1 minute ago, Nojohndoe said:

Fair enough on all accounts as told.

You can probably understand my questions were based on the wider question of social responsibility....which too many selfishly ignore.

However I do wonder if you have a return of symptoms without knowing what time frame you refer to overall that you may need consider the possibility of "long covid" and all the ramifications of it?

Yes i know of the possibility of long covid , as of now nothing but good health and back running 10km per day and continuing of with exercising and enjoy life as best i can . Cant do more than that .

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Then read the last part of the article I linked as she must be in the second group of the clinical trial which is ongoing. I find it funny that you reject the vaccines as unproven yet you allow your wife to be a test subject.  

What wife? She declared living  alone when required to be quarantined plus who knows what said detainees are further "required" to comply with?

3 minutes ago, Nojohndoe said:

What wife? She declared living  alone when required to be quarantined plus who knows what said detainees are further "required" to comply with?

Not buying that a Thai would be forced into a clinical trial.

Edited by ThailandRyan

10 minutes ago, Nojohndoe said:

"Required" to eat the following haha

food1.jpg

food2.jpg

food3.jpg

23 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

It would be verging on domestic abuse if he told his wife what she may or may not do, that's her choice.

19 hours ago, club said:

I googled this and Canadian Immunization research network article that made this claim. 30 to 40 other articles that came out around the same time disputed the one jab theory. All articles do say 2 jabs of AZ give you around 90% protection against severe infection and is right up there with Pfizer and Moderna against Delta. Before believing you only need 1 jab I would need to see more data and articles. I still consider 2 jabs of Astro Zeneca to be full vaccination and its to bad Thailand cant get more of it  

It is also a preprint and not peer-reviewed. It didn't such glowing stuff about AZ. It was consistently less effective than the two mRNA vaccines. Interestingly, Moderna outscored the Pfizer vaccine consistently as well.