My Kids 19 and 20 coming to live in UK. How do they leave Thailand as duel Nationals and how to get their NI numbers

The have seen the light in Thailand and they will coming to the to UK to  live within the next few months. What passport do they present at Thai immigration ?. As for their NI numbers my daughter was born in the UK my son in Thainland

Thanks in advance

Edited by Dave67

2 hours ago, blackcab said:

Your children can apply for their NI number here:

https://www.apply-national-insurance-number.service.gov.uk/

The website will not work unless they are in the UK (or they use a proxy). This is because the rules state that you need to be in the UK and looking for work in order to be eligible to apply.

Thank you

1 minute ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

If they entered Thailand on a foreign passport

My Thai wife and I moved to CM in late Sep. '20.  Her Thai passport had expired in July '20.  During our application process for COE, Non-Imm "O" visa, etc.  we asked Los Angeles Thai Consulate if my wife could travel on her newly minted US passport.  Yes, it would be possible ... but she would need to get a visa.  Presumably if that route was taken she could end up on overstay.  LOL.

Since she had her expired Thai PP she could easily (relatively) get a temporary travel document valid only for the one way trip home.

• Like 1

If you leave Thailand on your Thai passport and then enter UK on the British Passport all is well for UK

However, if you return to Thai and try and use your Thai passport for entering surely Immigration are going to ask where have you been as you have no other stamps in your passport after leaving Thailand.

A British friend who had got Thai citizenship, Passport, ID etc used to get a Visa from the British Embassy easily done as he held dual nationality  and held a valid  Brit passport, he left Thailand on his THAI passport and entered UK on his Thai passport, if he went to another country from UK he left on his Brit passport and returned on his Brit passport.

( This was solely as it was much easier to travel around Europe USA using the Brit Passport)

He only used his Thai passport to leave the UK on his final return to Thailand,

Convoluted but he was always legal this way.

This was at least 10 yrs ago and things do change.

1 hour ago, Siam Bruce said:

If you leave Thailand on your Thai passport and then enter UK on the British Passport all is well for UK

However, if you return to Thai and try and use your Thai passport for entering surely Immigration are going to ask where have you been as you have no other stamps in your passport after leaving Thailand.

A British friend who had got Thai citizenship, Passport, ID etc used to get a Visa from the British Embassy easily done as he held dual nationality  and held a valid  Brit passport, he left Thailand on his THAI passport and entered UK on his Thai passport, if he went to another country from UK he left on his Brit passport and returned on his Brit passport.

( This was solely as it was much easier to travel around Europe USA using the Brit Passport)

He only used his Thai passport to leave the UK on his final return to Thailand,

Convoluted but he was always legal this way.

This was at least 10 yrs ago and things do change.

I do it with my kids, both passports are clean. Never been asked anything.

• Like 2

On 8/8/2021 at 10:09 AM, Liverpool Lou said:

How could a Thai nationals be "on overstay" in their own country?

If the dual national enters Thailand on his foreign passport they are treated by Immigration as being a foreigner.  They must leave Thailand when their permission to stay expires.  They can go to Immigration and purchase for 1,900 baht an annual extension of stay due to being a Thai national, during which time they must file 90-Day Reports.  The only way to fix this is to leave Thailand and re-enter on their Thai passports.

It's never a good idea to enter a country on another passport if you have a passport from that country.  In some countries (e.g., US) it is illegal, it's not in Thailand, just foolish.

Question what if you have a US passport and then Israeli passport you enter Thailand on your Israeli passport you got a retirement Extension to stay when you leave Thailand on your Israeli passport then you can enter America and your US passport in your US passport has no stamps in it is that acceptable

1 minute ago, TheFishman1 said:

Question what if you have a US passport and then Israeli passport you enter Thailand on your Israeli passport you got a retirement Extension to stay when you leave Thailand on your Israeli passport then you can enter America and your US passport in your US passport has no stamps in it is that acceptable

Where were you when you received your US passport?