Immunocompromised US teacher stuck in Thailand without access to vaccine

webfact

fox.jpg

by Sean Mahoney

CHARLESTON, S.C. (WCIV) — Elisabeth Williamson, 63, has had a troubling 18 months. She battled breast cancer, completing treatment in 2019, but now has stumbled upon a new fight: Making it back home.

“There is no better hug than when you come off a plane after being away for a long time and you get to hug your family. And I’m missing that,” Williamson said.

Williamson went back to Thailand to resume the teaching job she had before being diagnosed with breast cancer. However, when the pandemic hit, travel restrictions kept her there. Eighteen months, the restrictions have eased up, but she does not have access to an FDA approved vaccine.

Sinovac, the shot offered in Thailand, has a 50% efficacy rate. With Williamson’s immune system being compromised due to cancer, this has made it almost impossible to come home.

“That’s what it means to me to be able to get a vaccine is to be able to come home safely,” Williamson said. “I would like to be able to come home and see my family in person and get a hug.”

Thailand’s COVID-19 cases have skyrocketed over the last few weeks. Thailand currently averages almost 21,000 cases per day, shattering records internationally.

Full story: https://fox28media.com/news/local/immunocompromised-sc-teacher-stuck-in-thailand-without-access-to-fda-vaccine

lo.jpg

-- © Copyright FOX 28 2021-08-09

• Confused 4
  • Sad 2

2 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Does she require any vaccination to enter the USA and travel? I thought negative Covid tests was the only requirement. If it is purely her fear of the risk of traveling I can understand.

Before you arrive in the United States:
All air passengers coming to the United States, including U.S. citizens and fully vaccinated people, are required to have a negative COVID-19 test result no more than 3 days before travel or documentation of recovery from COVID-19 in the past 3 months before they board a flight to the United States.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/international-travel-during-covid19.html

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, tonray said:

In fact....there are no FDA approved vaccines in the USA as of yet. They are only used based upon an emergency use exemption.

Possibly by September as the big 3 have already applied with Moderna being the last one

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/05/18/covid-vaccines-what-full-fda-approval-means-for-you.html

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Saddic said:

Then it's her choice... and she should stop blaming everybody around her and the country which has allowed her to be a guest... gods, another "karen" in the making...

btw: I left 3 days ago... zero problems...  Got my shot the same day I landed...

Exactly right. She should have accepted that when she left home country there might be unforeseen complications arising from that decision.

She didn't know the vaccine would be available when it was, so she could have traveled back before it was, or is there more to the story?

If she is so concerned about her health and well being from Covid, why does she appear to be obese?

Sorry, just saying if she had cancer and is vulnerable why not try everything possible to stay healthy.

Hope things work out for her.

• Like 2

Not much sympathy on here for her predicament. Totally justified, IMO.

Way too many people wanting to travel and work in exotic places, but not being prepared to wear it when it goes wrong.

I doubt anyone forced her to move to LOS in the first place.

Not just her, of course. Also all those that chose to travel without insurance, and ended up wanting other people to give money to save them from the consequences of their decisions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1