Visa extension : overcrowd coming, or am I missing something?

4 hours ago, Misty said:

Based on my experience, I would say that no extensions are being processed, or at least for Non Imm B work related (John Drake posted that his retirement extension was processed).

My experience:  In June, I scheduled online an appointment for my extension to be processed on 13 August at CW.  I called the Immigration hotline x1178 prior to the appointment to confirm that it would be honored.  I showed up ontime, and was the first person in the door at 1pm.  After 3 hours of passing my paperwork around, it was returned to me saying they wouldn't process it, I needed to come back 3 days prior to the stamp date, 26 Sep.

I might add that the day I was there the L1 counter for retirement extensions was quite busy. Two desks were processing people with agents and the other two that were open were taking regular individual applications. When I went there last Friday I would not have been surprised to be turned away. But I wasn't. The place was even set up for getting copies. The stalls downstairs but one with a copy machine were closed, but some people had set up copy machines outside the building just up from the taxi ramp. You couldn't miss them: they said COPY COPY COPY.  So I would guess those people must have had word that regular immigration applications were taking place.  I don't know. And I sure wouldn't urge anyone to go up there if they didn't have a good chance of getting extended or had a day to waste. For me the trip was 43 kilometers from my house to CW, a long way. Funny thing. The Nakhon Pathom immigration office, which I once used through my employer, is just 8 or 9 kilometers from my house. (I wonder if it has occurred to them that the 26 September deadline will mean a crush of last year's extensions coming in on just a few days? Maybe. Things have a silent way of being changed around here, especially if someone doesn't want to take a notice off their FB page and make it look like they had to backtrack.)

Edited by John Drake
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, John Drake said:

I might add that the day I was there the L1 counter for retirement extensions was quite busy. Two desks were processing people with agents and the other two that were open were taking regular individual applications. When I went there last Friday I would not have been surprised to be turned away. But I wasn't. The place was even set up for getting copies. The stalls downstairs but one with a copy machine were closed, but some people had set up copy machines outside the building just up from the taxi ramp. You couldn't miss them: they said COPY COPY COPY.  So I would guess those people must have had word that regular immigration applications were taking place.  I don't know. And I sure wouldn't urge anyone to go up there if they didn't have a good chance of getting extended or had a day to waste. For me the trip was 43 kilometers from my house to CW, a long way. Funny thing. The Nakhon Pathom immigration office, which I once used through my employer, is just 8 or 9 kilometers from my house. (I wonder if it has occurred to them that the 26 September deadline will mean a crush of last year's extensions coming in on just a few days? Maybe. Things have a silent way of being changed around here, especially if someone doesn't want to take a notice off their FB page and make it look like they had to backtrack.)

They could always use "1 Sep Thailand reopens" as the impetus if face saving is needed ... after all, "Interprovincial transport services, malls, foot massage shops, and dine-in services in the dark-red zone" can all resume operations today ...https://www.tatnews.org/2021/08/thailand-eases-covid-19-restrictions-from-1-september-2021/

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Misty said:

They could always use "1 Sep Thailand reopens" as the impetus if face saving is needed ... after all, "Interprovincial transport services, malls, foot massage shops, and dine-in services in the dark-red zone" can all resume operations today ...https://www.tatnews.org/2021/08/thailand-eases-covid-19-restrictions-from-1-september-2021/

I hope you're right about that. Even without "reopening" they must be thinking that there has been enough time to rescind that original order. Would be nice if they could get the appointment system back up and running, too.  That would give people some confidence.  It's just unfair it seems to me that the only place to find out about the changes made was their FB page.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, John Drake said:

I hope you're right about that. Even without "reopening" they must be thinking that there has been enough time to rescind that original order. Would be nice if they could get the appointment system back up and running, too.  That would give people some confidence.  It's just unfair it seems to me that the only place to find out about the changes made was their FB page.

Here is a Machiavellian explanation of what their thinking might have been (if they are brighter than we think). Perhaps, they expect most people not to look at the FB page. On that basis, the number of people turning up for extensions will not decrease by much, but they have an excuse for turning people away on days when they want to process fewer people.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, BritTim said:

Here is a Machiavellian explanation of what their thinking might have been (if they are brighter than we think). Perhaps, they expect most people not to look at the FB page. On that basis, the number of people turning up for extensions will not decrease by much, but they have an excuse for turning people away on days when they want to process fewer people.

That would make sense.  However, if that were possible, when I went on 13 Aug for my appointment they could have asked me to just come back the following week, or a future date of their choosing. At least one of the IOs seemed to be trying to help, and I did try to get a "come back next week" as an option. But after three hours, my paperwork was returned.  The IO gave me a copy of the 3 day announcement and said I needed to come back then.

• Like 1

Forgot to mention the paragraph on 90 day reporting...

90 days reporting and accommodation notification (counters A,B at the temporary office of Muang Thong Thani Open during business hours and will open for additional services on Saturday, starting from September 4, 2021 onwards or until there is a change

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Based on a Facebook post this evening by Bangkok Immigration Div. 1 it seems like:

They've rescinded the 3-day rule for counters J, L, M, N at CW and K at MTT.

They've reverted to the 45-day rule. "Foreigners can apply for all type of extensions up to 45 days before expiration." <roughly correct translation?>

They'll be open on Saturdays beginning 4 Sep. (Not sure about 25 Sep?)

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=402119667995522&id=107493450791480

240591356_402113407996148_6061586702688939622_n.jpg

Very good news, thank you for posting this!

10 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Based on a Facebook post this evening by Bangkok Immigration Div. 1 it seems like:

They've rescinded the 3-day rule for counters J, L, M, N at CW and K at MTT.

I don't read it that way. This is a Google translation of the Thai text at the top of that post.

"????????public relations notice????????
to reduce congestion in receiving services Immigration Division 1 therefore provides additional services as follows:
theAll types of requests for extension (counters L,M,N,J at Chaeng Watthana Government Center and counter K at Muang Thong Thani temporary office) are open during government days and hours. and will open for additional services on Saturday, starting from September 4, 1964 onwards or until there is a change
the90 days reporting and accommodation notification (counters A,B at the temporary office of Muang Thong Thani Open during business hours and will open for additional services on Saturday, starting from September 4, 1964 onwards or until there is a change"

It does not mention the 3 days being eliminated at Chaeng Wattana. The 3 days was never in effect at MTT (300 queue number limit for counter K)
The only change is that they will be open Saturdays for all services at CW and MTT.

9 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I don't read it that way. This is a Google translation of the Thai text at the top of that post.

Yeah, I made that same mistake, copying and pasting the text in Google Translate.

Unfortunately the text omits the underlined headline of that paragraph in the graphic, so you can use Google Translate on your phone with the camera option to confirm this.

I had a Thai friend translate and confirm this.

headline.jpg

translate.jpg

9 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

"????????public relations notice????????
to reduce congestion in receiving services Immigration Division 1 therefore provides additional services as follows:
theAll types of requests for extension (counters L,M,N,J at Chaeng Watthana Government Center and counter K at Muang Thong Thani temporary office) are open during government days and hours. and will open for additional services on Saturday, starting from September 4, 1964 onwards or until there is a change
the90 days reporting and accommodation notification (counters A,B at the temporary office of Muang Thong Thani Open during business hours and will open for additional services on Saturday, starting from September 4, 1964 onwards or until there is a change"

It does not mention the 3 days being eliminated at Chaeng Wattana. The 3 days was never in effect at MTT (300 queue number limit for counter K)
The only change is that they will be open Saturdays for all services at CW and MTT.

The infographic under the text entry though does refer to foreigners being able to apply for all types of extensions 45 days in advance from 4 September 2021.

• Like 1

Just now, Hamus Yaigh said:

Sorry if asked before and thanks for 45 day info update.  But serious question: If the Bangkok Immigration is here to serve the foreign community why don't they post these updates in English as well? Even @UbonJoe  was thrown by this one?

Normally they do provide the full text in Thai and English. But this time? Haste to get the info out, and someone forgot all the text? FWIW, I hate the reliance on cartoons and infographics here, but the camera  translate option remains. (Although I think FB translations are still verboten?)

I missed the headline on this one COMPLETELY, only when a friend kept telling me you can go 45 days before did I see the "45" in the headline. Ooops.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, John Drake said:

The stalls downstairs but one with a copy machine were closed, but some people had set up copy machines outside the building just up from the taxi ramp.

How is the situation downstairs? Are the banks still operating normally? I need to get a bank (KBank) letter same day for an extension.

Just now, Hamus Yaigh said:

How is the situation downstairs? Are the banks still operating normally? I need to get a bank (KBank) letter same day for an extension.

Last Friday only Bangkok Bank was open. Need for someone who has been there this week to find out about Kbank.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, John Drake said:

Last Friday only Bangkok Bank was open. Need for someone who has been there this week to find out about Kbank.

It is not on the list of closed KBank branches. I researched it for a post in another topic earlier this week.

See: https://kasikornbank.com/en/announcement/Pages/covid2019_temporarily_closed_branches.aspx

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Hamus Yaigh said:

I saved the graphic you posted (thanks) on my phone and Google (the camera icon on the Google search app) has an option to read the translation out in English aloud to you.

Thanks for this.

The mobile version of Translate allows you to IMPORT a photo, scan it and translate it.

Did not know that.

result:

20. THAI Porce Immigration Division 1 WIWGRATION BUREAU IMMIGRATION DIVISION 1 Announcement of public relations for applying for temporary stay in the Kingdom of foreigners due to the epidemic situation of Corona 2019 (Covid-19) ) In order to reduce congestion in receiving services, Immigration Bureau 1 therefore provides additional services as follows: All types can be obtained 45 days before the end of the authorization date. You can contact for service at Counters L, M, N, J, Chaeng Watthana Government Center and Counter K, Muang Thong Thani Temporary Office on official days and times and provide additional services on Saturdays. (Every Saturday until notice of change) However, from September 4, 2021 onwards, 90 days reporting and notification of accommodation can be requested at Counter A, B, Muang Thong Thani Temporary Office on official days and times. Additional service on Saturday (Every Saturday until further notice) starting from September 4, 2017 onwards.

2 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Yeah, I made that same mistake, copying and pasting the text in Google Translate.

I only had to do a right click for translate.

Still not on their website. It only has the previous announcement.

Maybe they are hoping that being open on Saturdays will reduce the crowds.

It will be interesting learn what they are doing today at CW. And on Saturday.

For MTT I would be willing to bet they will not do 30 day or 60 day extensions up to 45 days early.

5 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I only had to do a right click for translate.

Same-same as copy and paste, you still omit the headline, which of course has the most important bit. Translate works for me on the permalink, but not live on FB (for me anyway)? I think there is still a ban on FB/IG translations here?

8 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

It will be interesting learn what they are doing today at CW.

No effectivity date mentioned in the extension/CW portion but would assume it is effective as of today? YMMV of course as with all things here.

I went to CW this morning to obtain a 60 day Covid extension with 3 working days left on my Visa.  I got there at 7.30am (an hour before opening) and was first in the J queue and out within 15mins of opening.

Maybe worth saying that the 60 days commence from the date you go to the immigration office and not from the end of the original visa. 

34 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

I think there is still a ban on FB/IG translations here?

I works for me all the time on Facebook. Since I already had Facebook open on my browser it opened it using my page info at the top of the page.

39 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

No effectivity date mentioned in the extension/CW portion but would assume it is effective as of today? YMMV of course as with all things here.

I would think it would be for today if everybody there was informed about the change.

I never even been close to CW. I live far away from Bangkok.

So, I take it all our immediate problems with Chaengwattana immigration are solved. I hope we never need go through a closure like this again. Now, if only I can switch from mail to online for the 90 day. I'll see if that 90 day reset they did with my extension last week works for online.

12 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Pinned post on Bangkok Immigration FB page now, replacing the old 3-day pinned post, so I think it's safe to say this is official?

It is also on their website now. But the infographic is in Thai.

https://bangkok.immigration.go.th/en/courses/แจ้งประชาสัมพันธ์-การย-2/

• Like 1

So it appears somewhat safe to assume... the short-lived "three days in advance" rule for extension applications at BKK CW Immigration is no more.....

"IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT
In order to reduce the risk of contracting COVID-19, the immigration division 1 will providing additional service days by openings on every Saturday from now on ( 4th, September ) until further notice.
the services which going to open on Saturday are;

The visa extension in every type
– Counter L,M,N,J located in building B, government complex, Chaeng Wattana Rd.
– Counter K located in temporary center, Muang Thong Thani.

The foreigner can submit an application to stay before the expiration date 45 days in advance."

https://bangkok.immigration.go.th/en/courses/แจ้งประชาสัมพันธ์-การย-2/

6 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

So it appears somewhat safe to assume...

Yes. Confirmed by first-hand posts on FB.

Did see some issue with Saturday service at CW but this could have been a start-up hiccup?

Although this page at the Div. 1 website prematurely announcing the re-opening of the on-line appointment system is INCORRECT. Or at least the link is dead. The developer (bizpotential) is busy working on other thai apps, like thai save thai.

https://bangkok.immigration.go.th/en/queue-online_en/

4 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Yes. Confirmed by first-hand posts on FB.

Did see some issue with Saturday service at CW but this could have been a start-up hiccup?

Although this page at the Div. 1 website prematurely announcing the re-opening of the on-line appointment system is INCORRECT. Or at least the link is dead. The developer (bizpotential) is busy working on other thai apps, like thai save thai.

https://bangkok.immigration.go.th/en/queue-online_en/

The header title "Queue Online" on BKK Div. 1's website for online appointments still points, as of now, to the announcement page saying the online booking system is shut down...

https://bangkok.immigration.go.th/en/courses/we-will-closed-our/