Jump starting a Ford Fiesta/Focus

Henryford

2 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

Care must be taken around any computer controlled vehicle. Especially these days where there are numerous modules controlling everything.

One spike - bye bye

That's why I like my basic diesel truck just a Smartcab not a lot to go wrong. 

My Carb bike has only what is needed. ????

• Like 1

8 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Never heard of this being possible, but bare in mind most auto transmissions now are not the simple torque converter type which was quite simple to replace, but now with these dam CVT transmissions with steel belts inside its a whole new ball game and an expensive extensive repair. As for jump starting a flat battery, one should always just hook up and not try to start until the 'flat battery' has charged somewhat from the other car, but better still change over the battery from the good car, start, then swap the battery's while the engine is still running IMHO. And while i'm at it always disconnect battery if any electric welding is done.

+1 and the fact most average people do not know how to correctly Jump start a vehicle (they just throw leads on Bat to Bat live to live/earth to earth) when in fact should attached the dead vehicle to a good earth (Ground) and not to Earth side of donor vehicle, if carried out correctly it should not cause any issue to the dead vehicle... and I would not be letting any nutter attemept to Bump start my automatic lol...

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Lokie said:

+1 and the fact most average people do not know how to correctly Jump start a vehicle (they just throw leads on Bat to Bat live to live/earth to earth) when in fact should attached the dead vehicle to a good earth (Ground) and not to Earth side of donor vehicle, if carried out correctly it should not cause any issue to the dead vehicle... and I would not be letting any nutter attemept to Bump start my automatic lol...

Maybe correct but there is NO earth on a battery or car........ Only Pos and Neg.... How on earth could a car standing on rubber wheels be earthed??????? 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, jomtienisgood said:

Maybe correct but there is NO earth on a battery or car........ Only Pos and Neg.... How on earth could a car standing on rubber wheels be earthed??????? 

Earth is the English peoples term for Negative - just a question of semantics

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jomtienisgood said:

Earth/Ground is a colloquial term used for the opposite of positive. As the whole of the steel portion of a car body is at the same potential.

• Confused 1

On 8/15/2021 at 3:45 PM, Daffy D said:

Again I don't understand how the transmission could cause a problem, presumably it was in neutral or park?

Bump starting is to get a car rolling then engage a gear to turn the engine to start. This is not possible with an automatic.

Any auto electricians out there? 

You are not quite right some vehicles made in the 60's either Holden or Ford can't remember. had the transmission pump on the driveshaft side of the transmission they could be towed started but had to be at speed. Also jump starting most new vehicles can do damage to the electrical system if done incorrectly

5 minutes ago, In Full Agreement said:

Did your battery last 6 years?

I get about 1 week after the warranty runs out 2/3 years tops, but a year ago i had a bigger battery and tray fitted (Navara) due to the OEM being woefully small, so we will see.

2 minutes ago, Almer said:

I get about 1 week after the warranty runs out 2/3 years tops, but a year ago i had a bigger battery and tray fitted (Navara) due to the OEM being woefully small, so we will see.

I need to check my battery to see if it's two years old.    I'll simply replace it if it is.

Just now, Almer said:

I had a GS heavy duty battery last over 5 years in a Vigo.

Had a Panasonic battery in my new Isuzu at it lasted 1•5 years wasted no time put a GS Heavy duty battery as a replacement. 

31 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Monocoque Chassis.

Just sayin.

Nice try except monocoque is French for "single shell" where the stresses are supported by the skin of the vehicle with no load bearing "frame"

Even modern cars have a frame to absorb stresses from engine or to mount suspension

They are know as Unibody.

You'll have to get up a bit earlier?

Edited by VocalNeal

As I understand it, the ground refers to the polarity of the body and or chassis. A lot of vehicles used to be positive ground but I think most all are negative ground now. 

I think the best way to jump-start is with the ignitions both off, then connect the ground last, to avoid the possibility of shorting the the positive lead to the chassis/body.

Leave the ignition off on the car being jumped.

Start the car being used to jump, run the idle up to charge the dead battery, then disconnect the ground cable.

Try starting the dead vehicle. If it does not start, turn the ignitions off, reconnect and charge it some more.

You can jump a car off with a coat-hanger this way in a pinch if you have steel bumpers....

28 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

I had a GS heavy duty battery last over 5 years in a Vigo.

Had a Panasonic battery in my new Isuzu at it lasted 1•5 years wasted no time put a GS Heavy duty battery as a replacement. 

Which is what i did in the Navara, bigger tray and bigger battery and fingers crossed

56 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Nice try except monocoque is French for "single shell" where the stresses are supported by the skin of the vehicle with no load bearing "frame"

Even modern cars have a frame to absorb stresses from engine or to mount suspension

They are know as Unibody.

You'll have to get up a bit earlier?

bwahahahahaha..

Ok..

Bwahahahahaha..

https://gomechanic.in/blog/types-of-car-chassis/

• Monocoque Chassis

Types of car chassis Monocoque

A unibody structure, it too gets its name from its structural look. Monocoque being french for ‘single shell’ or a ‘single hull’. The monocoque was first used by ships and then by aeroplanes. It took quite some time to figure out that they can be used in cars as well. A monocoque is a shell around the car made by using both chassis as the frame in a single construction. This is the most commonly used chassis right now due to the number of advantages of has over the other two chassis.

Advantages

•  It’s safer than both the other chassis due to its cage-like construction.
    • The chassis is easy to repair as well.
    • It has superior torsional rigidity.

Disadvantages

• The chassis is obviously heavy as it’s both the frame and chassis as one single entity.
    • Producing it in small quantities is not financially feasible and thus it cannot be used for cars that are not mass-produced.
Edited by Ralf001

On 8/17/2021 at 10:42 AM, VocalNeal said:

I know where I play the tires at at 40 PSI when the recommended is about 20. 

Most modern cars don't have a chassis anymore.

If the recommended tyre pressure is, say, 26psi and you run them at 40 you can expect:

A harsh ride.

Very poor stopping ability in the wet.

Premature wear across the central band of the tread.