Attempted Murder at the in ground water tank

Steve&mem

You can buy peppermint spray of Lazada. Rats hate it. Cheap at about 150 baht for 2 areosol cans.

I use it under my car bonnet as it was pointed out by my mechanic that I had rat foot marks all over the engine bay!

Screenshot_20210818-104239_Lazada.jpg

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bagwain said:

You can buy peppermint spray of Lazada. Rats hate it. Cheap at about 150 baht for 2 areosol cans.

I use it under my car bonnet as it was pointed out by my mechanic that I had rat foot marks all over the engine bay!

Screenshot_20210818-104239_Lazada.jpg

Now that's not a bad idea, I shall be be getting some of that.

On 8/16/2021 at 8:09 PM, driver52 said:

do you have a well?

Slightly off subject, but one would suggest using a well for drinking water is probably not recommended in Thailand considering their septic system (sewage leach tanks) are located in the same ground, often not far from the well..!

• Thanks 1

On 8/18/2021 at 11:08 AM, lopburi3 said:

Suspect, just as with us, if contact is just between same part of the body it is a jolt rather than death (the one finger rule - used to be a standard test for 120v back in the 50's - stick one finger into lamp socket while rest of body insulated from ground - this was before they had easy tester screwdrivers) - it is when current goes through the heart that most deaths occur.  

It is impossible for rats to be electrocuted because they are a protected by a natural rubber coating in their outer skin which completely insulates them from electric shock.

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, wavodavo said:

It is impossible for rats to be electrocuted because they are a protected by a natural rubber coating in their outer skin which completely insulates them from electric shock.

References please?

If I ever seriously thought my wife made an attempt to take my life, I'd be gone the same day, 555. 

It sure looks like rat damage to me,  I've had wires from my patio lights chewed up and wires in my washing machine chewed up.  I'm at the point now that I don't wait for rats to show up, I put those glue traps around my house even if I haven't seen one around and sure enough every few weeks catch one.

1 hour ago, wavodavo said:

nonsense....  rats get electrocuted all the time, i've seen them in underground sub-stations.   Why post a complete lie ?

Rats are no superpowers and hence they can be electrocuted if they chew on both wires at the same time. However, the main reason why they are less likely to be electrocuted is because they chew on one wire at a time. ... Also, you may protect electrical wires by placing covers around them

Edited by steven100
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, wavodavo said:

????????????

Almost fell for it

Edited by fabruer
  • Like 1

"No I'm lost on that. I'm pumping water from a sealed mains pipe. How is the buffalo going to contaminate water in a sealed pipe?"

Even head showers must have "one way valve" in the US. by plumbing codes. Head showers are including one way valve, but most people don't notice them or have no idea what it is for even if they notice it since they are built in at the end of the hose. 

• Sad 1

Not totally inline with the original post, but I've always been concerned about running 230VAC into my water tank.  I designed the attached circuit to warn me that the tanks aren't filling; the float switch runs on 6VDC and is set to activate when the tank is about 1/3rd empty (won't happen at my house if the mains are supplying water).  When all is normal the Green LED lights.  If the float switch activates, the Red LED lights and the pump(s) are shut off to let me know.  The override switch can be activated to restore operation and the Blue LED lights to remind me that the override is on.  230VAC never gets near the tanks.

Schematic, Water Pump Shut Off.pdf

2 hours ago, The Theory said:

"No I'm lost on that. I'm pumping water from a sealed mains pipe. How is the buffalo going to contaminate water in a sealed pipe?"

Even head showers must have "one way valve" in the US. by plumbing codes. Head showers are including one way valve, but most people don't notice them or have no idea what it is for even if they notice it since they are built in at the end of the hose. 

You are not sucking from a sealed mains system just look at all the threads explaining that.

What is the point in quoting us pluming codes? They aren’t universal and definitely not followed hear or in many countries 

1 hour ago, ducklas said:

Not totally inline with the original post, but I've always been concerned about running 230VAC into my water tank. 

Not a problem. You can put any voltage you like through the mechanical float switches and use a couple of low voltage actuated mains contactors to switch the main power.  Simple to design and install

19 minutes ago, The Theory said:

I did not quote you !!!! ????

I know you didn’t !

But as I mentioned you did quote US plumbing codes that are irrelevant in Thailand.

Also there is no relevance visible to this thread in shower head valves.

Edited by sometimewoodworker

6 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Also there is no relevance visible to this thread in shower head valves.

I'm sorry, my apologies.

But regarding US codes.
Los Angeles has the best sanitary system in the world (or at least that's what we were told while I took plumbing classes since I needed plumbing knowledge toward my major, architecture) located in El Segundo, CA. Plumbing codes are created for the best plumbing system possible and least health/property damages. If plumbers don't follow plumbing codes does not mean they do it right. I bet certified experienced plumbers are knowledgeable regarding codes in Thailand. Unlike those builders who fallow old fashion way that learned from another builder and love to make shortcuts and easy jobs. 
As a matter of fact Im going to manage a new plumbing system for a friend who owns an apartment building and watering system suffering from exact same problem, direct main to a pump as soon as restrictions are eased.

On 8/17/2021 at 9:38 AM, IvorBiggun2 said:

An inline pump from the mains will do the same thing without the need to have a tank surely?

Most still need storage tanks, due to drought or opposite for me more often very heavy rain causes blockages to our town water, that comes from the klong, brown <deleted> and blockages, I can simply turn off the town water till it is running clear again or mains have been unblocked somewhere up the line. but I would say any damage as shown here to wiring would knock my RDC off immediately.  

On 8/17/2021 at 12:50 PM, Crossy said:

Neighbour has a hose in the pond, doesn't turn off the tap when the supply goes off or just low pressure, water from pond sucked into the mains.

Any leak in the mains could become a "negative leak" drawing in whatever "water" is surrounding the pipe, again contaminating the supply.

He should fit a non-return valve.

1 hour ago, brianthainess said:

He should fit a non-return valve.

What about everyone else with a hose into wash water or worse or cracks in pipes?  Do not pump from mains - ever - a tank is not that expensive and only requires a float valve to keep full.  If you want mains pressure after pump that is when you need a non-return valve (or just an on/off to do manually if normally use pump).