Rising prices ? what have you observed ?

CharlieH

On 8/18/2021 at 9:39 AM, Neeranam said:

My monthly Macro, delivered to my house, used to be about 7k baht, now it is 8 or 9. Also, they are out of blueberries and strawberries.

Must just be your local Makro.  I bought 4 containers of Blueberries at 75 baht a container and then strawberries for a large container were 140 baht.  No shortage at the Makro on Rama 3, and that was 4 days ago.  Had plenty of veggies, yet the onions had gone up in price as well as the potatoes.  Noticed that the Pork prices had gone up as well, and of course the western food prices had also increased.

39 minutes ago, Colabamumbai said:

Ayam Brand is better. 

Yeah, the reduced-sugar ones are even slightly healthier.

I admit to putting in a good splash of Lea and Perrins to give them a bit of extra bite, but I did that with Heinz too.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Yeah, the reduced-sugar ones are even slightly healthier.

I admit to putting in a good splash of Lea and Perrins to give them a bit of extra bite, but I did that with Heinz too.

Try the Garlic Tabasco, or a teaspoon of curry powder. Mmmmmmmmmm.

• Like 1

On 8/18/2021 at 4:19 AM, CharlieH said:

Have you noticed anything with a substantial increase or just a feel of inflated prices ?

Chicken meat is up from just under 50 baht a kilo to about 70 baht a kilo - actually as much as 56 percent up from 46 baht to 72 baht for chicken breast - it's said to be caused by closure of some "chicken meat factories" due to Covid.

Gasoline is up about 50 percent compared to it's lowest price during Covid-lockdown - almost like the price I paid per liter 20 years ago, however now mixed with little ethanol - but gasoline follows international market prices.

Thailand's consumer price index per end of July 2021 is 99.81 - it's been variating between 98.88 (February 2021) to 100.64 (April 2021) during the Covid-period - end of June it was 99.93, but might be more end of August, due to higher prices for sweet potatoes and chicken meat. The index has been circulation around magical 100 since 2019, so in average not much change in consumer prices, in average plus/minus one percent.

The (year-to-year) inflation rate is 0.45 percent, and core inflation 0.14 percent (end of July), end of June inflation was 1.25 percent, and core inflation was 0.52 percent; so actually lower now. Back in February 2021 the inflation rate was -1.17 percent.

But if you select individual items you can always find changes, and imported items are furthermore dependent of currency exchange rates. Some products seems to increase a lot - I noticed Greek yoghurt has gone up by about 10 percent - whilst others are little cheaper. There are for example lots of milk brands at lower than usual price, and sweet soda like Coke and Pepsi are cheaper now than 10 years ago, whilst eggs for a very short period about a month ago were up by more than 10 percent, also pork meat were temporary up, and now little down again, but to my memory almost doubled in price during a 15-years period.

For the mix of products I buy it's between unchanged, when I compare within the last five years, and that I can fill little more in the shopping cart for little less money. However, I don't buy sweet potatoes, so you cannot compare with my total shopping value, or with how much stuff I load into to my shopping cart, your product selection might well have gone up in price...????

• Like 2

On 8/19/2021 at 7:54 AM, vandeventer said:

Who eats baked beans these days when you can buy S&W Chili Beans that taste so good and yes you can buy them at Makro for a little bit more.

Just make a big pot in a slower cooker some smoke bacon or smoked pork from makro two tablesppon of molasses from Glabal coast you 70 baht.. Burp

On 8/19/2021 at 12:02 PM, david555 said:

Reading the tread it seems Makro is the one most with higher prices , my Lotus & Big C not exaggerated , much ...up's and down's .... small differences 

Lotus has the biggest hike in prices.. 

On 8/18/2021 at 11:35 AM, JWRC said:

I just purchased a 10kg box of Imported potatoes this morning at my local Macro, 35 Baht a kilo for bulk buy. I am interested to know what shop had them for 238 thb per kilo, I am thinking you read it incorrectly also I cannot see anyone buying them at 238. 

Just to add, those Sweet potatoes that were 238 ? They are now  269 !