Thailand reports 20,571 new COVID-19 cases and 23,159 recoveries

webfact

COV21.jpg

REUTERS file photo for reference only

Thailand on Saturday (August 21) reported 20,571 new COVID-19 cases and 261 additional deaths over the past 24 hours.

● 20,336 new infections
● 235 prison / prison infections

● 23,159 recoveries

Saturday’s cases bring the total number of COVID-19 infections in Thailand to 1,030,281 with 9,087 deaths. (Total infections since April 1: 1,001,418)

The news comes as Deputy Prime Minister Anutin Charnvirakul has reaffirmed that all expats in Thailand will soon be able to receive a COVID-19 vaccination.

Mr Anutin said that expats have been receiving vaccines at a number of vaccination centres in Bangkok with great success. 

He said that over 300,000 expats had received jabs at the vaccination centres located at MedPark, the vaccination centre at the Bang Sue Grand Station, as well as at Vimut and Bangrak hospitals.

Discover Cigna’s range of health insurance solutions created for expats and local nationals living in Thailand - click to view

Asean-now_Covid-Dashboard-Stats-Graphic-Template-Thailand-(update21AUG).png

asean_now_BB.jpg
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 2

42 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Official numbers leveling off which is a good sign, testing numbers low which is not a good sign, rapid tests at second highest level, very disturbing indication that an improvement is not underway yet. Positive news is those on ventilators have dropped to 1,123, down from 1,161 yesterday.

PCR tests, total of 20,571 official new infections, with 261 of those from prison and 20,336 from community. Covid deaths last 24 hours is 261.

Rapid tests positive cases from rapid tests 7,094

https://ddc.moph.go.th/covid19-dashboard/

Rolling 7 day average (up to 19th Aug) which includes prison cases and bar chart of community cases and rapid tests from daily official announcements.

https://ourworldindata.org/coronavirus/country/thailand

data 21 aug.png

data 21 aug 3.png

I am a bit confused. How can this be positive?"Positive news is those on ventilators have dropped to 1,123, down from 1,161 yesterday." The number of patients dropped for 38 in one day. There are only two reasons possible for this, 1. Recovery 2. Death. There were 261 fatalities reported for yesterday. Meaning that vast majority died before even getting ICU treatment on ventilators (final stage). I must be missing something here. Sorry but I just can not get my head around this. Thanks for your daily input. You're doing a very good community job.

Edited by nowhereman
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

Now over 8% received double dose and on schedule to complete 70% of people by Mid Feb at current rates of vaccination. 

Excellent news and great effort by all those Nurses and front line volunteers. 

https://covidvax.live/en/location/tha

I'm still struggling how to get my 31-year-old (non-Thai) wife vaccinated.  Bumrungrad (where I was vaccinated) will only register the over-60s or those with medical conditions, and Sukhumvit Hospital could only offer the Moderna vaccine in January 2022, with no guarantee but payment required up-front.  Any suggestions?

15 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

I'm still struggling how to get my 31-year-old (non-Thai) wife vaccinated.  Bumrungrad (where I was vaccinated) will only register the over-60s or those with medical conditions, and Sukhumvit Hospital could only offer the Moderna vaccine in January 2022, with no guarantee but payment required up-front.  Any suggestions?

It obviously varies from region to region. The area where I am familiar in your wifes age bracket are having no problem getting vaccinated ( Thai and non Thai Incl older males) and in fact many have already been double jabbed. 

Edit. Apologies. Never realised you were referring to BKK

Edited by Kadilo

12 minutes ago, anchadian said:

You must be in the same boat as Ryan who is trying to get his non-Thai wife vaccinated

Indeed from Myanmar and seems very difficult situation. I wonder if anyone in similar situation has had success. R has been very active trying but without luck.

Edited by DrJack54

25 minutes ago, anchadian said:

Deaths linked to Covid-19 among unvaccinated patients were over 100 times higher compared to those who have been inoculated, the Department of Disease Control (DDC) said

DDC deputy director-general Dr Sophon Iamsirithavorn said on Friday that from July 25 to August 19, 63.8 per cent of total Covid-19 deaths -- 2,969 people -- were those who had not been vaccinated against Covid-19.

“Only 26 deaths, or 0.6 per cent of total fatalities, were patients who had got two vaccine doses, which are significantly lower,” he said.

https://www.nationthailand.com/in-focus/40005043

Is that an indication that the Sinovac vaccine may be providing a higher protection against the Delta variant than was first thought.? 

Edited by Kadilo
  • Haha 1