Covid response from 2 different countries: NZ vs Thailand

bbabythai

Recently in New Zealand it was reported that there was around 4 new infections and the PM locked down the whole country. 

Thailand has around 17,000 to 20,000 infections a day and they are talking about relaxing restrictions:

Is anyone in the Thai government observing other countries around the world and their decisions being made? Welcome to fairy land.

3 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Maybe you should go and live in NZ, if you don't like the way Thailand is doing things.

No. I will just stay here. 

I hope that this lack of control that you have over me doesn't impact your mood today. 

cheers

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, bbabythai said:

Is anyone in the Thai government observing other countries around the world and their decisions being made? Welcome to fairy land.

As with all things, Thailand's government only follows the examples of ...

1. Thailand

2. our country

3. us

4. big brother (China)

5. see #1

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, wprime said:

NZ is an island, it has a reasonable chance of eliminating the virus. Thailand has porous land borders, it does not have such a chance.

That would be true unless the government went crazy and allowed people from Australia in without quarantine, and what do ya know she did and we are now in lockdown again. Sigh.

Talk about snatching defeat from the jaws of victory!

• Sad 1

I'm with Morrison on this.

IMO, it's time to accept that elimination is impossible and we have to learn to live with it, just like with flu.

IMO even the sheeple are muttering.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/siladityaray/2021/08/24/as-new-zealand-fights-delta-outbreak-australian-pm-morrison-says-its-zero-covid-strategy-is-absurd/?sh=2756e4727090

A day after New Zealand authorities extended their strict nationwide Covid-19 lockdown to fight a delta variant outbreak, the leader of neighboring Australia dismissed the island nation’s Covid elimination strategy as “absurd” even as his own country witnesses its worst infection outbreak since the start of the pandemic.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Australia seems to be trying to out-extreme its neighbour!  Shooting ex-rescue dogs to stop people travelling to pick them up for adoption.  Unbelievable.  Didn't Australia use to be a civilised country?

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-rescue-dogs-shot-dead-in-australia-over-coronavirus-restrictions-12388537

I haven't been in Oz for a long time, but from what I read it seems to be going full on woke. IMO it started with that red head PM.

At the time she was PM I used to watch a lot of Oz tv as they showed it on Thai cable tv, but some time back they stopped doing so. I enjoyed that QA program, and was sorry it was no longer available.

• Haha 1

I'd take New Zealand any day over Thailand. For the most part, life has been normal there. A few lockdowns, but restaurants are open, malls, beaches, etc. Thailand is mostly a ghost town with hospitals starting to overflow.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/health/coronavirus/124957464/covid19-life-is-very-much-normal-in-new-zealand-much-of-the-world-is-on-fire

At the end of March, thousands of art and music-loving fans flocked to Wellington’s iconic street festival Cuba Dupa. In April, homegrown band Six60 played to 50,000 cheering fans at Eden Park. And just over a week ago the Crusaders sold out Orangetheory Stadium in their clash against the Blues.

On April 30, there were just 23 active cases in managed isolation, the lowest total in almost 9 months.

This is New Zealand in 2021. Yet, much of the rest of the world is on fire. Covid-19 infections have continuously multiplied and bodies are piling up.

Edited by Jeffr2
  • Like 1

On 8/24/2021 at 10:50 AM, BritManToo said:

Maybe you should go and live in NZ, if you don't like the way Thailand is doing things.

A rather small minded answer to a constructive suggestion earlier. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, StevieAus said:

Totally agree I was the same you don't realize how controlled you are by the three levels of government until you leave.

I think the local councils are the worse, I had to pay for the privilege of them coming to the house to see if I could prune a tree  that was affecting the house and couldn’t be seen by neighbors.

I wanted to replace a timber window and the new one was slightly different than the old one, not only did I have to seek permission but the council wrote to the neighbors asking if they objected, the list is endless.

Anyone who complains about Thai government departments should spend a few years there.

The way I see it is that Australia and New Zealands governments have brains and education and know exactly what they are doing. Like the governments of all the major countries, they put themselves first.

That's the only thing they have in common with Thailands unelected PM and his soldiers, who are poorly educated and have very little brain power.

On 8/26/2021 at 2:03 PM, possum1931 said:

The way I see it is that Australia and New Zealands governments have brains and education and know exactly what they are doing.

Seriously?

They may know what they are doing, but as to whether that is the right thing is open to debate.

Not exactly clever having all the immigrants landing and being quarantined in Auckland so infection outbreaks happen there, and Aucklanders ( the largest city in NZ ) being locked down much more than the rest. As of Tuesday next, Auckland will remain at highest level lockdown while elsewhere goes down a level. How hard is it to get quarantine sorted when no one is coming over the land borders?

BTW, alternatives to Auckland as point of entry are available.

On 8/25/2021 at 6:22 PM, Jeffr2 said:

A few lockdowns,

Do tell. As they couldn't even keep the border secure the entire country is locked down for 2 weeks and while the rest of the country will go down a level ( level 4 with takeaways ) next Wednesday for an as yet unknown length of time. Should a single case of delta be found elsewhere I'm assuming everywhere goes back into level 4.