I think I know why Pfizer became available for foreigners

BestB

Received my first Pfizer shot; hardly any side effects, except feeling a bit sleepy the same day, and getting very slight and short headaches (barely noticeable) on the second day. I'm a bit worried that the vaccine was perhaps 'wrongly' handled or 'not working' due to being nearly expired. 

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Like 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 3
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, BestB said:

1 paper had the sticker with batch number, serial number and exp date.

Can you post an image of this?

Some portion of Pfizer vaccines were meant to go to foreigners over 60.

I'm not certain expiration date factored into anything, but have I heard crazier theories? Yep.

24 minutes ago, Orac said:

If the second dose of pfizer is in 3 weeks that is possibly the date they are working to - need to do first dose at least three weeks before expiry date and hold second doses if no guarantee of further supply before then.

Second shot 14 September and bookings ended on 29 Aug for the first shot, which would make it precise 1 day before final expiry.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, couchpotato said:

Actually 10 days before expiry (if 2nd shot is 3 weeks after first shot).

do not follow you, today was first, next is on 14th

first shots closed on 29, so they be getting their second on 19t-20th

Expiry is 21st

Did US donate vaccine with short shelve life? I am inclined to think so. Saying that, it worked out well for me, I am happy and I am under 60.

Good news. As a US citizen, it would be great some of my own vaccine (short shelf life or not). How did you book with Bangkok Hospital being under 60? I assumed ExpatVac only scheduled vaccines to those over 60 or with special health conditions. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, bangkokgalaxy said:

Did US donate vaccine with short shelve life? I am inclined to think so. Saying that, it worked out well for me, I am happy and I am under 60.

Good news. As a US citizen, it would be great some of my own vaccine (short shelf life or not). How did you book with Bangkok Hospital being under 60? I assumed ExpatVac only scheduled vaccines to those over 60 or with special health conditions. 

Can book thru their website/google forms for 40 years up now. Do it tomorrow and you'll probably have an appt for one or 2 days after. Good luck

38 minutes ago, bangkokgalaxy said:

It is 40 now

https://www.bangkokpattayahospital.com/en/hospital-news-en/press-release-en/item/3046-covid-vaccine-non-thai-residents-en.html

• Like 1

9 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Received my first Pfizer shot; hardly any side effects, except feeling a bit sleepy the same day, and getting very slight and short headaches (barely noticeable) on the second day. I'm a bit worried that the vaccine was perhaps 'wrongly' handled or 'not working' due to being nearly expired. 

The second Moderna knocked us on our butts. First shot barely anything. Same for daughter with Pfizer.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bangkokgalaxy said:

On the website 

It is well known that the US stockpiled loads of vaccines and then realize they were being used and started donating them because they were coming up to the  expire date.  Canada did the same with AZ. Canada ordered 5 doses per residence.  Also if phifzer has to be stored at ultra low temp. Both vaccines can last up to six months frozen. Once thawed, Pfizer's can be kept in a refrigerator for five days and Moderna's for 30 days.

• Like 1

On 8/16/2021 at 8:17 PM, burner2014 said:

12 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

I'm curious how you even managed to register being their website only accepted people over 60 or with the 7 underlying conditions. 

• Like 1

You said you are under 60 do you have underlying conditions? I'm diabetic but was scared to get a certificate at my hospital.When i tried to sign up for pfizer I couldn't finish the form, because no certificate and I'm under 60.So after all I got Sinopharm 2 shots.Yesterday I checked and now it's open for everyone but not if you got a covid vaccination already.I prepaid moderna for October but not sure if they want to vaccinate me since I got Sinopharm already

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

You should be. Human error is commonplace.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

You should be. Human error is commonplace.

If you check after the vaccine is taken out of ultra cold storage  and is refrigerated it expires in 1 month.  Once it is diluted for injections it can be kept at room temperature for 6 hours.

So the expiration date you saw is probably normal.

Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine Storage and Handling Summary (cdc.gov)

Edited by rwill
  • Like 2