Second shot how soon?

bubblegum

I have gotten a Sinovac shot 11 days ago and now I'm offered Phizer tomorrow, can I take it?

16 hours ago, bubblegum said:

I have gotten a Sinovac shot 11 days ago and now I'm offered Phizer tomorrow, can I take it?

The standard method here appears to be an interval of 3 weeks for an initial Sinovac shot followed by either AZ (I have a Thai friend in Phuket who got this) or Pfizer. I think this is loosely based on the standard 3 week interval between two Sinovac shots. As one shot of Sinovac reportedly offers very little protection I think you should be OK. However, did you inform whoever is given the Pfizer shot that you had the Sinovac less than two weeks ago?  They could/should have better advice, don't hide the details of a previous shot! 

Edited by cormanr7
add sentence
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Eaglekott said:

You should ask a doctor or at least the place that offered you Phizer.

Exactly.. 

There are too many "bush doctors", out there, who profess to know far more than those in the medical profession.. 

• Like 2

Am I glad I turned down sinovac a couple of weeks ago at local clinic (and dragged the missus away too) - a week later offered Pfizer in Bangkok at major hospital which I got on Tuesday. Subsequent reports of doctor and the local administrator who contacted us contracting COVID-19 AT the clinic itself! ???????? phew ! 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, bubblegum said:

Sure, take it, I would, especially considering how poorly sinovac seems to perform.!

And then in 6 months time another, of any, AZ, Pfizer, Moderna, Novavac, Johnson, as it looks like boosters will be needed.

Israel is looking at boosters now, they are finding the vaccine is 'wearing off' a bit after 6 months.

do the people who said you could get a Pfizer vac, know that you already have had a covid vac, every site that I have seen that offers Pfizer say that is only for people who have not had any vaccination for Covid

• Like 1

10 hours ago, cormanr7 said:

The standard method here appears to be an interval of 3 weeks for an initial Sinovac shot followed by either AZ (I have a Thai friend in Phuket who got this) or Pfizer. I think this is loosely based on the standard 3 week interval between two Sinovac shots. As one shot of Sinovac reportedly offers very little protection I think you should be OK. However, did you inform whoever is given the Pfizer shot that you had the Sinovac less than two weeks ago?  They could/should have better advice, don't hide the details of a previous shot! 

I would be very careful about providing medical advice if you are not qualified….

• Like 1

As far as I know Pfizer is currently restricted in Thailand to people who have nto received any other vaccination.

So I don't think you have a chance to get it now.

For "mix and match" vaccine combos the usual guidance is to wait the designated time of the first vaccine. For Sinovac that would be 2-4 weeks.

8 hours ago, ronjomtien said:

USA says wait one month between and can do AZ and Pfizer second. If you tell you had Sinovac recently, they will cancel you. I had AZ one month ago and Pfizer yesterday at CF. Sinovac is useless sorry, do some research.

there is no "USA" (presumably: CDC )  guidance regarding Sinovac or AZ as neither is currently  used in the US.

Sinovac is  not "useless". It is less efficacious than other vaccines.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, ronjomtien said:

USA says wait one month between and can do AZ and Pfizer second. If you tell you had Sinovac recently, they will cancel you. I had AZ one month ago and Pfizer yesterday at CF. Sinovac is useless sorry, do some research.

I did some research, and it said that you will get better protection if you wait 12 weeks between doses of AZ. 

A study published earlier this year in  The Lancet found that a single dose of AstraZeneca is 76 per cent effective in the first 90 days.

Receiving a second dose 12 weeks or more after the first can kick this protection up to around 81 per cent.

But this efficacy dropped to around 55 per cent if the second jab was given less than six weeks after the first, the study found. 

Source: https://www.abc.net.au/news/health/2021-07-05/astrazeneca-vaccine-timing-doses/100259926

12 hours ago, Sheryl said:

As far as I know Pfizer is currently restricted in Thailand to people who have nto received any other vaccination.

So I don't think you have a chance to get it now.

For "mix and match" vaccine combos the usual guidance is to wait the designated time of the first vaccine. For Sinovac that would be 2-4 weeks.

700,000 Thai Medics got a choice of Pfizer as a 3rd (Some 4th) dose booster. The millions with one or more of the 7 diseases got no choice of Pfizer as a 2nd dose.

8 hours ago, b17 said:

I did some research, and it said that you will get better protection if you wait 12 weeks between doses of AZ. 

A study published earlier this year in  The Lancet found that a single dose of AstraZeneca is 76 per cent effective in the first 90 days.

Receiving a second dose 12 weeks or more after the first can kick this protection up to around 81 per cent.

But this efficacy dropped to around 55 per cent if the second jab was given less than six weeks after the first, the study found. 

Source: https://www.abc.net.au/news/health/2021-07-05/astrazeneca-vaccine-timing-doses/100259926

The long 12 week delay applies to AZ followed by AZ.  This is because you body becomes slightly immune to the AZ vaccine particle itself. You must wait until that wears off. Oxford now says a 45 week wait is best.

Oxford paper: "A longer delay of up to 45 weeks between the first and second dose of the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine leads to enhanced immune response after the second dose."

This long wait does not apply if one of the shots, first or second, is not AZ. 

If the government process works I'd say you'd be denied the Pfizer once they check your vaccination record (tied to your Thai ID number).

Unless this is a newly approved two-tone, mix and match vaccine protocol in Thailand.

I mean, some older woman got two doses of AZ in a matter of minutes, so anything is possible.

On 8/27/2021 at 5:21 AM, bubblegum said:

Gotten the phizer and doing well thank you.

That's good. However, I read that Pfizer didn't recommend taking any vaccine within 14 days (before taking the Pfizer vaccine), meaning any vaccine, Covid vaccines or any other vaccines.

That being said, I found it odd that the time between the two Pfizer doses in Thailand is just 3 weeks as 6 weeks has been recommended for months and several countries are now talking about 3 doses with 12 weeks intervals to build up maximum amount of antibodies.

After 2 weeks immunity starts kicking in where T and B cells starts working together to produce antibodies. These antibodies is what "attacks" the second Pfizer dose, hence why people get more sick from the second dose, but increases the immunity.

According to a study (not peer-reviewed) from May, suggests the levels of antibodies was 3,5 times higher in those who waited 12 weeks than in those who waited 3 weeks, in people over 80.

While a 12 weeks interval suggests stronger immunity, 3 weeks generates a higher peak in T-cells, which is believed to be a marker for longer immunity. 6-9 weeks seems to be the sweet spot most countries work with.

So, in your case, 11-12 days would probably not be recommended. It's likely we'll need a 3rd dose, which would be your 4th if you take your second Pfizer dose. Or perhaps it turns out to be a winning strategy, who knows.

Edited by HOAX

17 hours ago, rabas said:

The long 12 week delay applies to AZ followed by AZ.  This is because you body becomes slightly immune to the AZ vaccine particle itself. You must wait until that wears off. Oxford now says a 45 week wait is best.

Oxford paper: "A longer delay of up to 45 weeks between the first and second dose of the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine leads to enhanced immune response after the second dose."

This long wait does not apply if one of the shots, first or second, is not AZ. 

45 weeks, they're mad, that's almost a year, so at the most deadliest stage of the pandemic so far, as Delta variant is exploding around the world, they suggest we spend the best part of the coming year only partially vaccinated.

1 hour ago, HOAX said:

That being said, I found it odd that the time between the two Pfizer doses in Thailand is just 3 weeks

Been 21 days, between Pfizer doses in the U.S. since the start.

Over 200 million (doses) served.

Edited by mtls2005

My wife had the Sinopharm 3 weeks ago and yesterday had the AZ second dose, and today she feels awful, aching body and sleepy, so unlike her, it has to be the vaccination. The vax people yesterday said different people will react differently, but I don't like seeing her like this.

1 hour ago, grain said:

45 weeks, they're mad, that's almost a year, so at the most deadliest stage of the pandemic so far, as Delta variant is exploding around the world, they suggest we spend the best part of the coming year only partially vaccinated.

They're not suggesting that, simply reporting their findings.