CCSA to consider limited easing of restaurant dine-in restrictions

Jonathan Fairfield

000_8YH3J9.jpeg

Thailand’s Ministry of Public Health will seek approval from the Centre for COVID-19 Situation Administration (CCSA), at its meeting this Friday, of guidelines for restaurants and other eateries in COVID-19 “dark red” provinces, should they are allowed to resume limited dine-in services.

Public Health Permanent Secretary Dr. Kiattibhoom Vongrachit said yesterday (Tuesday) that Public Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul has instructed the Disease Control and Health departments to work out good practice guidelines for restaurants, after he received a petition from representatives of eight business associations, including the Restaurants Association, asking that restaurants be allowed to resume dine-in services, now that the COVID-19 pandemic is showing signs of improvement.

He said that the guidelines, including the limit of 50% seating capacity, will be submitted to the CCSA by Mr. Anutin this Friday (August 27th), adding that representatives of restaurants and other eateries have pledged full cooperation in complying with the safety measures to be drawn up by the Public Health Ministry.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/ccsa-to-consider-limited-easing-of-restaurant-dine-in-restrictions/

Discover Cigna’s range of health insurance solutions created for expats and local nationals living in Thailand - click to view

Logo-top-.png
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, calbts2 said:

The bottom of that article states "Customers will have to show a certificate to prove they are vaccinated. For those who have been infected and have recovered, they will have to have recovered for at least a month, but not more than 3 months, and must show a negative antigen test result."

So if only 8% of the country is fully vaccinated, do all of the restaurants exclude 92% of the population as potential customers?

I wont receive my second shot until the end of October. Does this mean I am forbidden from eating at restaurants for 2 more months?

Also these vaccine passport requirements are illogical as fully vaccinated can also transmit the virus.

Unworkable, unfair, and discriminatory. Oh and what about kids not eligible to get vaccinated - are they going to be required to take antigen tests before eating in a restaurant?

Hope this goes down in flames within a week when restaurants enforcing this realize they have no customers while others that ignore it will again be making money.

Vaccine passports make a lot of sense. Symptoms, hospitalizations and covid deaths of vaccinated people is a fraction of that for unvaccinated. So, a roomful of vaccinated people giving each other covid with relatively no ill effect does not put a strain on the health care system. This is called "learning to live with it". 

Most countries are moving forward with this plan, but you are right, Thailand does not have the vax numbers yet to implement this. Maybe in 3-6 months...

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Has any country introduced a policy of vaccination passports for dining at restaurants?  I know there have been huge protests in France against the idea, but I don't if it's actually been introduced.  Unbelievable if it has.   

The good news is, I just can't see it working here, with the vast majority of the population not fully vaccinated and unlikely to be so for many months, if ever.

Edited by brewsterbudgen
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, calbts2 said:

Yeah they make a lot of sense if you are for medical apartheid and discrimination just to enter, sit, and eat in a public restaurant. And you are wrong, most countries are not moving ahead with this type of plan and many are revolting.

Spain just ruled against these vaccine passports - and rightly so - https://www.majorcadailybulletin.com/news/international/2021/08/19/88381/supreme-court-rules-against-covid-passport-obligation-andalusia.html

"Learning to live with it" in my opinion means accepting that life comes with risks while enjoying the freedom to live your life as you choose.  As an unvaccinated person, I will take the very small risk of being able to eat in a restaurant and possibly getting a virus. In fact I did it quite often without any issues during the last year before restaurants were shut down. Did we ever require vaccine passports for the flu, measles, or tuberculosis?

Actually my biggest fear of getting killed or injured in Thailand is driving the highways at night. That to me is much more risky than sitting in a restaurant - getting sick and then dying from a virus.

These measures are knee-jerk over reactions to control behavior and I find them flat out draconian, overreaching, and will be mostly ignored as they will be too complicated to enforce.

Good luck with that. I think you will find the world is a much smaller place for you for the foreseeable future.

13 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

Thailand’s Ministry of Public Health will seek approval from the Centre for COVID-19 Situation Administration (CCSA), at its meeting this Friday, of guidelines for restaurants and other eateries in COVID-19 “dark red” provinces, should they are allowed to resume limited dine-in services.

Yes go ahead and do it, but Nail the ones who don't conform to reg's.

9 hours ago, The Cipher said:

Yes. Canada is doing this. There's a fairly long list of places where you need to show proof of vaccination to enter (including restaurants).

What percentage are vaccinated? Is it for the whole country, or just 'hot' provinces? Presumably kids are excluded? Hopefully Thailand doesn't follow suit, at least until the majority of the population is vaccinated (which will take a long time, if it ever happens). 

I live near Seka in Issan.

Its rather lively little city.  

Despite the lockdowns the place is busier than before COVID-19.

Lots of new buildings and restaurants.

Most likely built from the people coming home from the closed tourist areas.

Its sure made living up here more interesting.

Lots of beautiful girls also with the bar scene decimated. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, calbts2 said:

Also these vaccine passport requirements are illogical as fully vaccinated can also transmit the virus.

The thought behind this is if everyone is vaccinated, then even if people dining there have Covid, passing it on to the others won't inflict deadly harm.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HappyExpat57 said:

The thought behind this is if everyone is vaccinated, then even if people dining there have Covid, passing it on to the others won't inflict deadly harm.

Think........The vaccinated are 100% protected from from deadly harm from covid even if they catch it.....And the un-vaxxed are 100% ok with receiving deadly harm from covid.........So why the need for vax passports to eat in a restaurant if everyone is ok with everyone else already.....  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brewsterbudgen said:

What percentage are vaccinated?

Very high percentage. And vaccines are readily available. Kids are excluded. I wasn't suggesting that Thailand do this, just responding to your question about whether other places had done so.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Victornoir said:

Yes, vaccination passport in France for sports halls, shows, domestic flights, buses, trains, health personnel, most administrations, restaurants and bars.

Some major companies have also incorporated the obligation into their internal regulations.
Much the same in Italy.

Lots of rowdy protests in these 2 countries but a large majority is in favor.

There will always be people in favor of more and more restrictions....If vaxes were required every 3-6 months forever, loads of people would be in favor of it....

Edited by redwood1

3 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

The only people at significant risk will be the unvaccinated. It is their choice to go to the restaurant unvaccinated so if they contract Covid while there, to put it bluntly that is their problem. Their life, their choice. 

I am not anti vax and am eagerly awaiting my second shot, hopefully next month. But if people don't wish to be vaccinated that is up to them and they will have to live (or not as the case may be) with the consequences of that decision.

Let individuals decide. I certainly don't want to live in a 'papers please' society with medical apartheid because certain people wish to decide what other people have to put into their bodies.

Agree 100%.....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My son's restaurant in BKK is living on borrowed time and due to close in a couple of months.  He has invested 15 years of his life & a not inconsiderable amount of money into it.  He follows every protocol and ALL his staff have ben double jabbed.  He is on the verge of returning to England to sell his house in an attempt to stay afloat.

• Sad 1