Extensive damage to Pattaya Beach today from morning rains.

Screaming

15 hours ago, redwood1 said:

I don't remember the beach washouts being very bad before the 2013 beach redo tree massacre........If I remember right the beach did have washouts but they were mostly pretty modest.......But ever since 2013 the beach washouts have been huge..... 

I remember them in 1980, there is nothing new in this.

3 hours ago, shdmn said:

That's by design.  They usually fill the beach back in within a day our two. 

It's not possible to prevent flooding when you have billions of gallons falling down within an hour or two and then all running downhill to the beach.  You can't make the pipes big enough to drain that much water in such a short period of time.

+1  Beach resort towns the world over consider re-topping and grooming the beach daily to be just a cost of doing business.

Google "beach grooming equipment", "beach dredging" and "beach renewal".  Hoyty toyty places call it "beach nourishment".  Happens all over the world. 

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, impulse said:

+1  Beach resort towns the world over consider re-topping and grooming the beach daily to be just a cost of doing business.

Google "beach grooming equipment", "beach dredging" and "beach renewal".  Hoyty toyty places call it "beach nourishment".  Happens all over the world. 

Not where I live

13 minutes ago, Meat Pie 47 said:

Not where I live

The island in Texas where I live is currently renourishing the beaches.  Again.  No way they can avoid erosion when the rains come.  But tourism brings in enough tax revenue to spend $$$ millions every year on moving sand around.

• Like 2

maybe instead of holding the water, allow it to work it's way to the ocean naturally via canal.  build a platform above the canal for people to move around. something along the lines of what they have in chinatown bangkok near the megaplaza mall.

1 hour ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

The mayor's family owns a sand company, a landscaping company, a wholesale nursery company, a cement and pavers company, and a general contracting company. 

They would not also happen to be in the Palm tree business too would they?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, shdmn said:

The point was to improve drainage.  It was never going to prevent floods because they simply cannot make pipes big enough to drain billions of gallons of monsoon rain falling in an hour.

To improve drainage the pipes must be clear. If the latest drain pipes are blocked with debris like the last 2 m pipes no improvement. North end failed project.

export1623802628078.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Meat Pie 47 said:

OK this is a beach

Direction-Island-HR-4-of-18.jpg

Quick exercise in reality...  Get out your calculator and add up all the economic activity being conducted on your beach.  Then do the same for a photo of Pattaya's beach.  How many jobs do each of them support, and families back home...

12 hours ago, shdmn said:

The point was to improve drainage.  It was never going to prevent floods because they simply cannot make pipes big enough to drain billions of gallons of monsoon rain falling in an hour.

Hmmmm. Didn't Los Angeles do just that? Big drain that features on lots of movies.

Of course it could be done, but I suspect city hall doesn't want to for reasons known to most of us.

• Like 2

Take a look at the topographic map of the area. All downhill from the surrounding hills down to the beach.  And if you walk up Pattaya Klang of course you will notice the incline.  Lots and lots of acre feet of water flowing down to the sea.  There is less forests, less trees, less shurbs, less vegetation to act as a buffer and slow down the flow of water and give it time to soak into the soil and down to the aquifers, be absorbed and stored by the vegetation, etc.  Now add more and more concrete which inhibits the ability of the water to soak down. 

https://en-us.topographic-map.com/maps/a5gy/Chon-Buri-Province/

• Like 2

Tropical rain storms can be very wicked, and there is hardly a tropical place in the

world that does not have damage after a major storm.  Some posters

show their lack of knowledge though, by pretending to talk about the results of

this latest storm.  Just saying, better to be quiet , than to open your mouth and 

show your total ignorance on a subject. Oh oops, I forgot what forum I was on,

carry on.

Geezer

• Like 1
  • Confused 2