Defense team, police wants Joe Ferrari tried for manslaughter not murder

webfact

I read yesterday they had wanted 20 years but that was halved as first offence , that was then halved as he gave himself up and then the 5 yr was downgraded to 2 years on license and he wasn’t allowed to leave the country and had report to station every 90 days .

Im sure the amount of dirt he must have on those around him and up the chain will make the above a highly likely possibility of a sentence , despite the video and he will walk ! 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Prosecutors will no doubt readily accept the narrative of the honest crime buster ardently protecting the nation's youth once they get their brown envelopes. After the verdict and acquittal or suspended sentence any criticism will be silenced with the contempt of court and defamation laws. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Dogmatix said:

No. Only suspended. The media have erroneously used the English word "fired".  

Not the first or the last error, and it doesn't only apply to "words" but far too often - content, that can  change the whole meaning. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ronster said:

I read yesterday they had wanted 20 years but that was halved as first offence , that was then halved as he gave himself up and then the 5 yr was downgraded to 2 years on license and he wasn’t allowed to leave the country and had report to station every 90 days .

Im sure the amount of dirt he must have on those around him and up the chain will make the above a highly likely possibility of a sentence , despite the video and he will walk ! 

Nonsense, who wanted 20 years or did the majority of us miss the hearing and subsequent court proceedings. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ronster said:

How about this as being more like it from his friendly superior:

You're a graduate of the academy meaning you should do the honourable thing and surrender. If you escape from jail, do a runner if out on bail - that's ok  - honour had been fulfilled by your surrender. 

4 hours ago, smedly said:

Murder is clearly defined as intent to kill 

Not necessarily. I don't know the details of Thai legal definitions, but here's some background about the definition of murder under common law - I think the current case meets the conditions of 3/4 of the examples given:

Background: Common Law Murder

At common law, murder was defined as killing another human being with malice aforethought. Malice aforethought is a legal term of art, that encompasses the following types of murder:

• "Intent-to-kill murder"
  • "Grievous-bodily-harm murder" - Killing someone in an attack intended to cause them grievous bodily harm. For example, if the defendant fatally stabbed the victim, even if the defendant only intended to wound the victim, the defendant would still be liable for murder.
  • "Felony-murder" - Killing someone while in the process of committing a felony. Note that at common law, there were few felonies, and all carried the death penalty. For example, at common law, robbery was a felony. So if a robber accidentally killed someone during a robbery, the robber could be executed.
  • "Depraved heart murder" - Killing someone in a way that demonstrates a callous disregard for the value of human life. For example, if a person intentionally fires a gun into a crowded room, and someone dies, the person could be convicted of depraved heart murder.

"Murder | Wex | US Law | LII / Legal Information Institute" https://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/murder

10 minutes ago, khunjeff said:

Not necessarily. I don't know the details of Thai legal definitions, but here's some background about the definition of murder under common law - I think the current case meets the conditions of 3/4 of the examples given:

Background: Common Law Murder

At common law, murder was defined as killing another human being with malice aforethought. Malice aforethought is a legal term of art, that encompasses the following types of murder:

• "Intent-to-kill murder"
  • "Grievous-bodily-harm murder" - Killing someone in an attack intended to cause them grievous bodily harm. For example, if the defendant fatally stabbed the victim, even if the defendant only intended to wound the victim, the defendant would still be liable for murder.
  • "Felony-murder" - Killing someone while in the process of committing a felony. Note that at common law, there were few felonies, and all carried the death penalty. For example, at common law, robbery was a felony. So if a robber accidentally killed someone during a robbery, the robber could be executed.
  • "Depraved heart murder" - Killing someone in a way that demonstrates a callous disregard for the value of human life. For example, if a person intentionally fires a gun into a crowded room, and someone dies, the person could be convicted of depraved heart murder.

"Murder | Wex | US Law | LII / Legal Information Institute" https://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/murder

This is Thailand... not the USA.  Here there is one law for the "commoners" and another for the HiSo's.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, HaoleBoy said:

Nothing being said about the torture being common practice?

But, of course torture and cohersion are denied in public.

I have heard his father-in-law is a higher up police too.

How do you think the son-in-law climbed the ladder so quickly.

He originally claimed that he put the plastic bags over the alleged offenders head so that he could not see/recognise the other officers. If that was the case, he would have known that in doing so there was a reasonable risk that the person would suffocate.  He later changed his plea to defending the morals of young people.  (BS.... 1st class award).  This is murder! plain and simple.

If I was in his shoes, I would have thought his best defence would have been to claim that it was known that the alleged offender was Covid positive and that during questioning he started spitting at everyone in the room (which would have been difficult to see on the video).  He could then claim that despite warnings to stop spitting the alleged offender continued to spit at the officers, so he grabbed a plastic bag that was on a nearby table and put it over the alleged offender's  head to stop him from possibly infecting the other officers with Covid  The alleged offender refused to co-operate and continued to struggle.  Unfortunately, he quickly lost consciousness we removed the plastic bag quickly and attempted to revive him.  The alleged offender was transported to hospital and certified dead the next day.  This would be more like manslaughter e.g. spur of the moment action.

As it happens, he appears that he has the 'ear' of people at the top of the 'food chain', so it is highly unlikely that he will be charged with murder.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, HaoleBoy said:

Nothing being said about the torture being common practice?

But, of course torture and cohersion are denied in public.

I have heard his father-in-law is a higher up police too.

A General, for what it's worth.

They are all pond life together. They disgust me.

31 minutes ago, khunjeff said:

yes that is were the mechanism becomes relevent - for example the instrument, the act, the motive  and how it was used resulting in death - a gun is a fine example, it would be very difficult to prove that a person did not intend to kill someone after shooting them, not so sure about a plastic bag, to convict someone of murder several tests may need to be met and of course the are several degrees of murder - it can be very complex 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, herfiehandbag said:

The senior police officers have very considerable influence, and will deploy that influence to ensure that events follow the course which they wish them to.

Thanks. I appreciate that.

I was trying to highlight the fact that being in any kind of position to influence the outcome is totally wrong. 

2 minutes ago, smedly said:

yes that is were the mechanism becomes relevent - for example the instrument, the act, the motive  and how it was used resulting in death - a gun is a fine example, it would be very difficult to prove that a person did not intend to kill someone after shooting them, not so sure about a plastic bag, to convict someone of murder several tests may need to be met and of course the are several degrees of murder - it can be very complex 

They had a judgment passed down by the Supreme court in 2017 relating exactly to this type of case.

The Supreme court stated in such actions as this plastic bagging, it was reasonable to assume it would result in death.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

Thanks. I appreciate that.

I was trying to highlight the fact that being in any kind of position to influence the outcome is totally wrong. 

Yes, and of course you are entirely right.

As many will realise, the Police Force, especially in cases which involve one of their own, and which have a bearing upon their "benefits" have an ability to dictate the outcome in such cases. In the unusual event that a court "gainsays" their "findings" then that judgement is simply ignored. Again, I am sure you know that.

Edited by herfiehandbag
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Prince77 said:

This guy will pay the victim's family and some others. Will not serve any jail time as first time offender. If you want to punish him take away his cars and money - these are the only things which will teach him a lesson.

What are you talking about?

Thai prisons are full of people who are in there as a ' first offense ' the reduction comes from admitting it, that doesn't mean a suspended sentence.

I agree to lessen his sentence, he will be involved in compensating the family.

Cars and houses, a tricky one!

Remember his woman's Dad is a General, it depends how much his clout is, and the determination others are to get justice.

Why do I feel there is a conflict of interest here?

I understand the defence (possibly correctly, although I have a BIG doubt about that) attempting to get the charges downgraded.

However, the police force, which is supposed to be investigating this death, also say the same thing. What ever happened to an "unbiased" investigation to establish FACTS.

Have they completed a brief of evidence which (not surprisingly) does not support the possibility of a murder conviction?

Or has the NEW BIG carpet arrived at Police HQ already and needs lifting to enable the sweepers to do their job?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, tomacht8 said:

He tortured him to death.

This is not manslaughter but

barbaric murder. It is not his intended intentions that are decisive, but the result of his actions.

As far as I know murder is murder if a person intentionally kills someone. As far as I see the torture was intentionally and they obviously knew that the suspect could die. But they didn't intend to kill the suspect.

That is just the way I understand the term "murder". Apart from that IMHO that torturing police officer should go forever to jail and forever to hell.

• Like 1

The "wealth transfer" I spoke of in another thread about Jo seems to be, in principle, complete. Now, we can expect more Porsches, Minis, Audis, etc. on the streets of Thailand soon. 

Edited by djayz