Heartbroken daughter desperate to fly bedridden dad home from Thailand

webfact

19 minutes ago, dlclark97 said:

You must be joking!  Quality care in a private hospital as used by most farangs is not cheap.  Nor are government hospitals if an in patient.  I had surgery from the groin to just above the knees to replace partially blocked arteries with artificial ones.  This included a bypass above the pelvic area to balance the flow to each leg.  It was done at a private hospital.  Only six 3 inch incisions total.  Two days in ICU and six additional days in a room where my wife also was able to stay.  Surgeon, my doctor and other staff were exceptional.  Total cost was about 800,000 thb.  The before and after care was outstanding.  Compared to what this would have cost in the USA I felt I had felt I had won the lottery.    

Fortunately, all my bits and bobs work and are intact, so I've never had to have an operation of any kind. I was just shocked at the prices. Jaw dropping. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

Should have said that we now live in the UK having left Thailand some years ago.  So when I travel I do have the appropriate insurance, at an increasingly high cost depending on where I am going to.  But if I worry about "what-ifs" all the time then I wouldn't go anywhere.  Living life to the full is always going to involve some risk, a price I am very happy to pay.

Complete an Advance Care/Health Directive, appoint medical guardian to carry out your wishes if you loose capacity in an emerg situation. Makes it easier for relos.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, djayz said:

Fortunately, all my bits and bobs work and are intact, so I've never had to have an operation of any kind. I was just shocked at the prices. Jaw dropping. 

Do you have car, home, contents insurances?

6 minutes ago, aussienam said:

Yet another sad story of expats who come here and turn a blind eye to the reality of the costs of aging and failing health. 

Since I have been here in LOS over the years, talking to retired expats, I have been shocked at the numbers who are dismissive at being adequately covered for health emergencies. 

Insurance costs and not being covered for pre-existing conditions is a biggie.  

But there they sit, heavily obese, drinking and smoking excessively, building up internal diseases, artery blockages, etc.  Ticking time bombs everywhere. 

And no way in hell they'll be able to afford medical costs and definitely no way to afford a medivac back to their home country.

I look at them sometimes and just think, "what in the hell are you doing? Don't you realise this is going to end really badly for you?" I suppose many just have a death wish.  

Absolutely spot on! I believe most think (and hope) that their end will come quickly and painlessly. That would apply wherever they were. In the meantime they might as well enjoy an economical lifestyle in an agreeable climate.

• Like 1

Time to make way and clear up space for new earthlings. Don't be selfish by attempting to prolong an obviously terminal case. Heart issues, the d-word which is just as prognostically poor and debilitating as the c-word... best for everyone involved to plan sensibly for what's to come. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Whale said:

The quote was anywhere between 100K and 140K GBP. Having read the description of his many conditions in the gofundme I can't see how they can move him without the air ambulance. 

Well the thing is they won't, or can't.

Unfortunately for his family Thailand will be his final resting place. 

And unfortunately for them they may well be saddled with picking up the tab for those final days on the planet if they want him to have any kind of dignified exit

Just now, GinBoy2 said:

Well the thing is they won't, or can't.

Unfortunately for his family Thailand will be his final resting place. 

And unfortunately for them they may well be saddled with picking up the tab for those final days on the planet if they want him to have any kind of dignified exit

My family have a saying. "Death by TonTine" if the drugs are not kicking in fast enuff.

8 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

Doubt he will be able to obtain Fit to Fly clearances , perhaps the family need have a reality check.

Even if a severely ill patient cannot sit upright for takeoff and landing It is possible on a scheduled airline if the carrier offers stretcher service on a particular route , and the attending  Physician and the airlines aeromedical director sign off on it. Done it many times. The operation had stretcher kit that fit over three rows of economy blocking 6 seats. Three adjacent for Nurses or medical attendant.  All must blocked and paid for plus I assume extra charges. 

MEDIF Part one (Eng).pdf

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Captain Monday said:

Even if a severely ill patient cannot sit upright for takeoff and landing It is possible on a scheduled airline if the carrier offers stretcher service on a particular route , and the attending  Physician and the airlines aeromedical director sign off on it. Done it many times. The operation had stretcher kit that fit over three rows of economy blocking 6 seats. Three adjacent for Nurses or medical attendant.  All must blocked and paid for plus I assume extra charges. 

MEDIF Part one (Eng).pdf 204.26 kB · 0 downloads

Did you read the co-morbidities?

Not to mention the lack of funds available,

8 hours ago, ignis said:

Health insurance companies want your money, hate to pay any claim

Had Health insurance many years ago, had to go to Hospital large kidney stone, Insurance refused to pay - reason anything to do with kidney's is related to being Diabetic, so had to pay myself. and have done for all the years since then + been to hospital a good few times since...

Note..  diabetic coma = blood sugar over 600 or under 60......  myself built in body alarm under 65 get the shakes + cold sweat [yep a good few times over the years]  over 450 feel very unwell [highest I have been is 530 in 2015]  since then 100% vital to check your BS at least every day + if you feel strange or unwell

Had Health insurance many years ago, had to go to Hospital large kidney stone, Insurance refused to pay - reason anything to do with kidney's is related to being Diabetic, so had to pay myself

sounds like this condition was excluded from the policy T&Cs, you can only expect a medical insurance policy to pay out for medical conditions covered.

you should always read insurance policies before buying to check you have the cover you require.

being ignorant of what you were covered for is not the insurance company's problem.

i have had to make two large insurance claims; one for my parents who could not fly due to ill health (5000 GBP) and secondly for household flooding (35,000+ GBP) both times i knew i was covered and the companies payed out with no problems.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

Have you checked the price of health insurance for those over 70 especially with pre-existing conditions, which his diabetes would have been.

I have no conditions what ever, turned the magic 70 yrs and insurance rose by 80%

As long as the non insurers have money on standby it's ok

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

As long as the non insurers have money on standby it's ok

The point being in this and many other instances report here, many do not have have the funds to cover medical contingencies

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, ignis said:

Just ignore insurance ? some of us have to

If he was a diabetic already then insurance would have been no use, as this would be classed as a pre existing condition therefore not covered.

True!  sadly there are people who live here like to judge but are clueless to the reality.

Edited by thailand49
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, NancyL said:

From the photos in the news story, it looks like he was relatively fit when he came here 15 years ago and probably had no pre-existing conditions.  That was the time to take out a good international health insurance policy -- one that can't drop you as you age or file claims, but understandably will increase rates as you enter higher age band.  <snip>

A famous Bob Hope line was that 'A bank is a place that will lend you money if you can prove that you don't need it.'

Pretty much the same with heath insurance.

10 hours ago, djayz said:

27 thousand quid for an operation!?!? Surely that must be THB 27,000, no? 

It was 34,000 baht just for two nights for our son with bronchitis in Udon Thani Bangkok Hospital.  

10,000 baht for the hazmat suits worn by 3 people to bring up to the room just in case he had COVID-19.

Thailand isn't cheap.

Scared to get sick let alone COVID-19 and God knows how much they'll charge a falang on a respirator!

Trying to get the whole family vaccinated, minus Sinovac.

Edited by MrJ2U
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, The Fugitive said:

Good advice re blood glucose levels. A testing machine may be a good investment.

I ‘hit the deck’ recently for the first time. Fortunately, was in the waiting area with my M-I-L at Provincial Hospital at the time. My Blood Glucose level had fallen to 42. Never been investigated. When I feel shaky and sickly I take high sugar drinks which seem to sort it.  

Hi The Fugitive.

I was going to PM you but thought this maybe useful to some others aswell.

The "never been investigated" part really worries me.

As an insulin dependant diabetic for 35 years, i have some knowledge about low blood sugar levels. The symptoms you describe should start to be noticeable at around 70 mg/dL (3.9 mmol/L), i feel it earlier as i'm aware of the feeling.

At a level of 42 (2.3) there are lots of other things going on also and i advise you to make those around you to be aware of any personality changes etc. Loosing your temper, sluring of words, confusion, unstable on your feet, sweating. They can then let you know something is 'not right' before you start to notice yourself.

At levels below 70 (3.9) it is dangerous to drive or ride for yourself, passengers and other members of the public due to the above symptoms and also blurred vision.

I personally test my blood 6-8 times a day to avoid highs and lows.

If i knew you personally, i would go to a suitable pharmacy and buy you a glucose meter and a pack of 50 test strips, which if memory serves me can be purchased at around B1,750-B2,000 and test you twice a day at varying times eg, morning,midday,

evening, before meals, an hour after meals etc to get a picture of whats going on, and record the results so that you can show them to a doctor.

I hope this helps and take care pal.