Retirement extention - Dipped below the 400k

1 minute ago, LarrySR said:

Last year I got the updated book and bank letter with matching balances,  went to Immigration and the Officer sent me to the bank to withdraw 100BT and updated book ......showing a different balance than the letter..

VISA approved Mr Smarty Pants.

Calm down. Sometimes the io will overlook that bank book shows transaction done after bank letter.

Sometimes not. 

Some io do not require transaction showing activity on the day of application. Some do.

Folk are advised to be aware what their particular imm office requires.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, LarrySR said:

Last year I got the updated book and bank letter with matching balances,  went to Immigration and the Officer sent me to the bank to withdraw 100BT and updated book ......showing a different balance than the letter..

VISA approved Mr Smarty Pants.

Ah ... yes ....???? , the i.O. may always ask for additional doc. rule .... known as "the Harry Potter magic stick" rule  by  us foreigners .????

Edited by david555
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Completely irrelevant.

There are financial requirements for extensions and withdrawals, especially as in this case 30k, the extension will (most likely) not be granted.

You and I both know at the end of the day he will get an agent and his extension pronto. Where you confuse me is you have in comments stated  1-not to use agents 2- use agents 3- you can assist personally and lastly 4- you recommend and agent in KK. 

You state:

''The thread is not about pros and cons of using agents.''

But then you go on to do exactly that ??

You state:

''Might suit you. Up to the individual. I prefer to not use an agent. I assist others when they need an agent.''

Now you suggest not to use an agent but seek your assistance ?? What do you do that an agent can't do?? You have some special connections at immigration??

You state:

''Use an agent to obtain extension based on retirement. There are couple of well known agents in KK that have net sites and you can chat with them directly.

And now a total reversal and you're recommending agents ??  Is there something I am missing here?? Which of these states are we to believe??

• Confused 1

32 minutes ago, jazzdog32095 said:

And now a total reversal and you're recommending agents ??  Is there something I am missing here?? Which of these states are we to believe?

Yes you are missing the OP.

Firstly he made an error and 30k was withdrawn from his account and not replaced for some days.

I pointed out that an agent would be an option.

Also pointed out that if he has another account that it is allowable to use 2 accounts to satisfy the financial requirements.

In contrast you have burst into the thread basically saying that anyone is foolish not to use agents. Along with opportunity cost of having funds in Thai bank account and other reasons.

Folk use agents ongoing for the reasons you outline and some use an agent due to necessity as in OP case. 

Keep pros and cons of agents out of thread. Not about that.

My guess is that OP will replace the funds and use an agent for his next extension and after that will not require agent again if money in bank is maintained according to requirements.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Yes you are missing the OP.

Firstly he made an error and 30k was withdrawn from his account and not replaced for some days.

I pointed out that an agent would be an option.

Also pointed out that if he has another account that it is allowable to use 2 accounts to satisfy the financial requirements.

In contrast you have burst into the thread basically saying that anyone is foolish not to use agents. Along with opportunity cost of having funds in Thai bank account and other reasons.

Folk use agents ongoing for the reasons you outline and some use an agent due to necessity as in OP case. 

Keep pros and cons of agents out of thread. Not about that.

My guess is that OP will replace the funds and use an agent for his next extension and after that will not require agent again if money in bank is maintained according to requirements.

I totally understood how and why the OP got into the bind he's in. Like you I gave him valid advise plus in the future imho it would make good sense to spend 15K with an agent as it would give him the opportunity to add over 40K to his bank account investing the 800K and never have to deal with the whims of some IO looking for tea money. I have personally used an agent for 6 years and I'm up 300K baht and waited in line nor running around getting docs. In fact the agent comes a pics up my docs at my condo. Just one trip to the IO , front of the line to sign off, done till next year. I imagine I spend less than 30 minutes total per year to get my extensions. In the real World IOs' would much prefer everyone use agents, less work and more money. Now give me a good reason not to go that route.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, jazzdog32095 said:

Now give me a good reason not to go that route

Time for ignore button. 

The thread was never about pros and cons of using an agent ongoing.

Suites you. Congratulations.

Start a thread and have discussion there. 

• Haha 1

A mate of mine dipped below the 400k for a few days over a weekend.

Immigration told him to go see an agent to apply for his extension so that immigration could get some brown envelopes.

Had no problem with the extension using an agent.

Edit: This is in Jomtien

Edited by LongTimeLurker
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, jazzdog32095 said:

Chill out dude, I define stupid as somebody that can't do the math in two minutes and understand one can make 4X the 15K you pay an agent by investing the 800K baht in a CDB Plus while at the same time never having to even face an IO.

Why are you saying that I pay an agent? What do you know about that? 

33 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

Why are you saying that I pay an agent? What do you know about that? 

If you want to <deleted> away 40K+ per year and deal with immigration it's up to you. I prefer to leave those funds in my investment account and pay someone so I don't fool with the IO.

8 hours ago, jazzdog32095 said:

Chill out dude, I define stupid as somebody that can't do the math in two minutes and understand one can make 4X the 15K you pay an agent by investing the 800K baht in a CDB Plus while at the same time never having to even face an IO.

It's not a matter of IQ level but a matter of legality of the method.

If everyone can just pay agent 15K per year, then why does immigration need us to park 800k in the first place?

Why not just print 'pay 15K to agent and you will get an extension without parking any money instead'?

If you think your method is legal, then please tell us which agent and which immigration office approved your extension so that a proper investigation can be conducted.

I am sure that there is an anti-corruption dept in Thailand who would love to come and investigate and audit.

Edited by EricTh
  • Like 1

Last year I fell below the 400K for just one day, the amount was very minimal (was something like 4,000 baht), they refused my extension on these grounds and gave me a 60 day family visiting extension. They politely handed the passport back with a smile suggesting I try again in another 60 days, and not go under 400K.

Overall experience: Brutal.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, taxin said:

Last year I fell below the 400K for just one day, the amount was very minimal (was something like 4,000 baht), they refused my extension on these grounds and gave me a 60 day family visiting extension. They politely handed the passport back with a smile suggesting I try again in another 60 days, and not go under 400K.

Overall experience: Brutal.

Doesn't sound like a retirement extension. In your case they offered you a possible legit fix. I don't think there is anything like that for the OP's situation.

9 hours ago, jazzdog32095 said:

If you want to <deleted> away 40K+ per year and deal with immigration it's up to you. I prefer to leave those funds in my investment account and pay someone so I don't fool with the IO.

You have what's known as a "dodgy" VISA extension.

Probably get away with it unless of course somebody somewhere ticks off someone in the chain of corruption....

I remember around 20 years ago, the border hoppers would skip the border runs and hand over their passports to a connected person in the Washington Square area on Sukhumvit.... and they ended up with illegal stamps in their passport. The scheme worked for a while but I recall it didn't end well.

Edited by LarrySR
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, LarrySR said:

I remember around 20 years ago, the border hoppers would skip the border runs and hand over their passports to a connected person in the Washington Square area on Sukhumvit.... and they ended up with illegal stamps in their passport. The scheme worked for a while but I recall it didn't end well.

Yes that was 20 years ago. Even now you will read of fake stamp scam busted here and there. Pretty uncommon.

The stamps that "real" agents obtain for extensions are 100% legit. 

Again this thread is not really about that. The OP has (by mismanagement) has fallen below required funds for his next extension. An agent is an option. In normal times he could exit and return. Not easy currently.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 2

On 9/4/2021 at 8:23 AM, clivebaxter said:

you are then stuck with them for every other service.

The only other "service" required is the 90day report, that can be done on-line, by post, or at your local I.O. where your TM30 is registered, all doable by yourself.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, EricTh said:

I am sure that there is an anti-corruption dept in Thailand who would love to come and investigate and audit.

Yes, there is an anti-corruption bureau in Thailand, but.....

They are paid to look the other way.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, HeijoshinCool said:

Right! It says it the name. Anti-Corruption. Clearly mean they want nothing to do with it.

2 hours ago, brianthainess said:

The only other "service" required is the 90day report, that can be done on-line, by post, or at your local I.O. where your TM30 is registered, all doable by yourself.

Also re entry permits, you cannot keep changing your address every year from the fake extension in another province to your real one. Try going into your actual immigration office for a re entry permit or a 90 day report with an extension from another province you probably never even visited. 

1 hour ago, HeijoshinCool said:

Really? Do you have evidence to back up your statement? Give details like name of officer, which branch etc.

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Doesn't sound like a retirement extension. In your case they offered you a possible legit fix. I don't think there is anything like that for the OP's situation.

My case is exactly the same as the OP, both cases are about falling under the minimum fund requirement when applying for an extension of stay. The purpose of the extension of stay (wether this be for marriage or retirement) has no significance.

So I will offer my advice from my own experience, do not go below the required amount needed in the bank to apply for an extension of stay, no matter what the purpose of the extension of stay is.

My advice of course is only for Phuket, as others have mentioned it all depends on each immigration office.

• Sad 1

OK,  time for an update.  My friend went to my, not his, IO to fess up and ask the question without sh1tt1ng on the doorstep of his own IO, so to speak.  The officer told him, "bad boy, no extension for you", unless......you pay me 15k and I can make the problem go away.  He said he had heard an agent could do that, but didn't know they would do it directly.  She told him it was no problem for her and if he didn't have enough money to get to the 800k she could fix that  for 18k.  He said that this was not his IO and she said, don't worry, yours will do it too.  Same price.   My guess is they get less through an agent and charge the same as the agent and get extra if they do it directly.  No problem, can do.

Funny.  All very open and matter of fact.  Apparently she reeled off the details without batting an eye, like she does it all day every day.

• Haha 1