UVC lamps, designed to kill viruses in environment, now used at Thai hospitals

snoop1130

Thai-PBS-World-logo-16.png

The third generation of UVC lamps, which emit ultraviolet light at wavelengths of 200nm to 280nm, are claimed to be 99.99% effective in killing pathogens, including COVID-19, in just three minutes were unveiled today (Thursday) by the faculties of Medicine and Engineering of Chulalongkorn University, the King Mongkut Institute of Technology’s northern Bangkok campus and Smile Robotics.

Prof. Dr. Somrat Jarulaksananant, of the Department of Anesthesiology at Chulalongkorn University, told Thai PBS that these third generation lamps, have been put on trial providing disinfection at several hospitals, with promising results and positive responses from the hospitals.

He said that the UVC light emitted from the lamps has killed pathogens, some of which are harder to be eliminated than coronavirus, on the floor and other surfaces and in the air about 50cm from the floor.

Full Story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/uvc-lamps-designed-to-kill-viruses-in-environment-now-used-at-thai-hospitals/

Logo-top-.png
  • Like 1

I suppose it works killing bugs the same way as a UV filter in water treatment.

Similar already being done in the US and UK by a company called Vitabeam and with little or no UV so no danger to humans. Using it to kill bugs on plants, even cannabis farms as well according to their media.

We regularly use these at home.  Takes 15-20 minutes per room.  IMO also a good idea to sun bake or UVC zap your cars for an hour or two a week if you have indoor parking. 

Edited by Heng
  • Like 1

I just have a box of scraps of Uranium, Plutonium and the like that I open occasionally to air the house out.

I have no idea how effective UVC is in removing the Covid virus,  but I am skeptical.  I do leave my mask on the dashboard of my car in the sunlight in case the heat and light kill it. 

Edited by Damrongsak
  • Haha 1

uvc kills anything alive - bacteria, fungus and even viruses. 

I would think will harm and kill insects mosquito, flies and their eggs. Might also damage vermin. I leave 60w led uvc for several h in the outside kitchen and outside front door.

those lamps are cheap and durable, last 40k h, so should last for tens of years.

In the room should be left for around 30 minutes, depending on watts and side of room

• Like 1

12 hours ago, smedly said:

I assume everybody has to wear eye protection googles and gets a golden tan while in the room 

I had to do something similar when I was a kid in the UK...wasn't it to ward of rickets or something?

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

these third generation lamps, have been put on trial providing disinfection at several hospitals, with promising results and positive responses from the hospitals.

Can I get one from Laz, I need something for the karzi after the missus has been in there.

• Haha 1

Emaux make a pool

UV/ Ozone light for swimming pools I have one fitted on my system meant to be good for 10,000 hours only trouble is to replace the lamp costs 10,000 baht something I failed to find out before purchasing the system . I have even got a UV lamp in my Refrigerator that kills pathogens it’s nothing knew however I doubt it kills Covid 

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I had to do something similar when I was a kid in the UK...wasn't it to ward of rickets or something?

no, uvc is strictly no people in the room.

those lights suppose to be switched on and off from outside of room, for example with timer or remote control. Yes, they are also uvc gogle for essential workers, but full skin has to be also covered.

you had full spectrum lamps, to get some D3 vitamin

56 minutes ago, crazykopite said:

Emaux make a pool

UV/ Ozone light for swimming pools I have one fitted on my system meant to be good for 10,000 hours only trouble is to replace the lamp costs 10,000 baht something I failed to find out before purchasing the system . I have even got a UV lamp in my Refrigerator that kills pathogens it’s nothing knew however I doubt it kills Covid 

on lazada you can get 60w lamps for about $30 shipped from china. Choose those with the longest lifespan, up to 40k h. Hang it in shed over some container through which water is flowing.

Or simply over swimming pool - use it only nighttime, when nobody is there. Be sure to remove all domestic animals from around there. Those rays kill all biological life, including plants.