Economic recovery hinges on whether relaxation of lockdown is sustainable

webfact

Thailand-economy-recovery_web.jpg

The government has started to ease some lockdown restrictions from September 1. Department stores have been allowed to reopen most of their services after being closed for a month.

Restaurants are allowed to serve a limited number of customers for indoor dining. Barbershops and beauty salons have been given the green light to reopen as has traditional Thai foot massage. Domestic flights will resume in early September.

The Public Health Ministry recently assured the country that daily COVID-19 infections have passed their peak. New daily cases have fallen below 20,000 in the past few days, signaling an improvement in the situation after the previous month saw a sharp spike in infections, a shortage of hospital beds, and soaring fatalities.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/economic-recovery-hinges-on-whether-relaxation-of-lockdown-is-sustainable/

Logo-top-.png

If the COVID numbers don't explode upwards after a reopening then it means only one thing, the people are immune.

I don't believe there's been enough undetected spread of COVID in so short a time for this to have happened yet, so I suspect it will get worse before it gets better.

Perhaps they should double up on the number of tests they do each day once a month then we will beging to get a real picture by the end of the year.

• Like 1

I think the Thai government are leaning towards abandoning quarantine for double vaccinated travellers, they have no choice!

Focus then on all staff in hospitality, hotels, bars, restaurants, the whole nine yards getting double vaccinated ASAP, after the seniors and health workers, pre existing conditions, and open up.

They will then have to speed along the vaccination programme and play catch up as there is 68 million to get done. Of course, if they are looking at the economy, which they are, they will focus on people living and working in tourist destinations more robustly.

Cambodia is way ahead and putting them in the shade with numbers and is second only to Singapore in vaccinations. Granted, smaller populations,but they were well out of the starting blocks ahead of Thailand and they signed up for the different Covax programmes before Thailand.

Edited by Scouse123
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, mikebell said:

Not that much of a relaxation!  In my determination to Eat Out to Help Out, last night I visited a local restaurant and had to drink non-alcoholic BEER!  Won't be doing that for a long time. 

I would rather eat dirt.......

Actually untrue.... when in Saudi I would eat popcorn and the strong thirst it created made even a cold near beer refreshing!

The people that run Thailand will never let it return. Insurance on arrival will increase, These guys run the government. Every hi-so with their hand in the kitty will make sure it is a nightmare to visit Thailand not to mention live there.