Thailand reports 15,452 new COVID-19 cases, 18,257 recoveries

Jonathan Fairfield

HLDP3DJ665K3TDTTEDA3INHTMI.jpeg

A healthcare worker takes a nasal swab sample from a person for a coronavirus disease (COVID-19) test, at a temple near Klong Toey slum community in Bangkok, Thailand, May 3, 2021. REUTERS/Juarawee Kittisilpa

Thailand registered 15,452 new confirmed COVID-19 cases over the last 24 hours, the Center for COVID-19 Administration (CCSA) reported on Sunday (Sept 5).

468 of the new cases were linked to prisons.

The CCSA also reported 224 additional deaths and a further 18,257 recoveries.

Since the pandemic started Thailand has reported 1,280,534 Covid-19 cases and 12,855 deaths.

The CCSA announced that 92 percent of Bangkok residents have received at least one jab of a COVID-19 vaccine.

As of Saturday, Thailand had administered 35.2 million doses of COVID-19 vaccines, with around 14 percent of its 69 million population having been fully vaccinated.

Thailand's Public Health Ministry has also said it plans to roll out a new vaccination initiative in October, mixing AstraZeneca and Pfizer vaccines in use to combat coronavirus variants.

asean_now_BB.jpg

UPDATE: 15,452 confirmed cases. 4,966 probable cases. 7-day testing average is 44,562. Out of 152,105 patients, 44,335 in hospital, 71,526 in hospitel and 33,454 in home/community isolation. 4,682 in a serious condition (-59) with 1,008 on ventilators (+4) #Thailand #COVID19

https://twitter.com/ThaiNewsReports/status/1434324515723436033

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, anchadian said:

UPDATE: 15,452 confirmed cases. 4,966 probable cases. 7-day testing average is 44,562. Out of 152,105 patients, 44,335 in hospital, 71,526 in hospitel and 33,454 in home/community isolation. 4,682 in a serious condition (-59) with 1,008 on ventilators (+4) #Thailand #COVID19

https://twitter.com/ThaiNewsReports/status/1434324515723436033

+4 on ventilators and a new upsurge to 20,418 including positive rapid tests. Lets see how this goes.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, anchadian said:

Since July of last year, my wife has been learning the English language at a tutorial institution in Bangkok.  The last few months have been online.

Most students at her school would be reluctant to participate learning in-class again under the present conditions.   

I think that might be the case with some of my students too.  I guess they'll be given a choice of whether to go back to the classroom, or not.  Online works OK with teenagers and above, but I need my 6-year-old to get back to proper school!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

The word on the 'street' is that there may be some positive news on reopening schools next week.  I would imagine that there will be some restrictions for schools, but hopefully it will signal the end of online classes!

I think that will depend on the vaccination rates of the Province. Take Phuket for example, the most vaxxed in Thailand. There is an update on the school sandbox program there although this only covers pre-school to year 4 (8-9 years old). Those above will remain online, why, I don't know?

Here's the latest rules shared by an International school via email:

For any children coming to school during the Sandbox (Preschool to Year 4) the following conditions would apply:

• All adults within the household of the child would need to be fully vaccinated.
  • All  staff involved in the Sandbox are fully vaccinated
  • Children would need to take an Antigen Test Kit (ATK) Covid test prior to coming into school and then weekly during the Sandbox scheme.
  • ATK tests are less invasive than a PCR test, do not require nasal swabs and only require a small sample of the childs saliva.
  • All staff within the Sandbox will have an ATK test prior the commencement of the scheme.
  • The school would provide the first of the ATK tests to children joining the Sandbox free of charge and it will be possible to collect these from the school via a drive through service towards the end of next week.
  • The test must be carried out 24 hours prior to the child joining classes each Monday and a Google Form will be shared with parents who have chosen to be part of the Sandbox. This will include a declaration to state that the child has completed an ATK test, that adult family members are vaccinated and that the result of the ATK test was negative. The ATK test must be performed weekly and the Google Form submitted every Sunday before 5pm.
  • Classes will remain in a class bubble and will only interact with children within that bubble.
  • In the event of a positive result from the ATK test, the attached flow chart will need to be followed to determine the outcome for the child who has tested positive and other members of the class bubble.
  • The MoPH would liaise with the school and determine which children within the bubble are considered Low-Risk Contacts (LRCs - these would self-isolate at home), and which are High-Risk Contacts (HRCs)
  • For HRCs, if these contacts have suitable accommodation for isolation, the MoPH may determine that the HRC can isolate at home provided that separate rooms are available for the isolation and that the HRC does not leave the premises. This is condition 3 on the attached flow-chart.
  • If it is not possible for the HRC to have a suitable home-quarantine, conditions 1 or 2 would apply on the attached flow-chart.
  • In the event that a positive case was found in a class, the class would close for 14 days.
  • Parents can opt-out of the Sandbox programme at any time.

Whilst children would be required to test on a weekly basis, and may need to isolate in the event of a positive case within their bubble, I do feel that these conditions are suitable to begin the process of re-opening under the Sandbox conditions. Sending a child to school will remain a parental decision and for those that wish to keep their child at home, we will continue to provide online learning.

Edited by Bkk Brian
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bkk Brian said:

PCR test positive cases, total of 15,452 official new infections, with 468 of those from prison and 14,984 from the community. 224 official covid deaths recorded, down from yesterday's figure.

Rapid tests positive cases, 4,966 bringing the unofficial total to 20,418 pushing through the 20k mark once again!

https://ddc.moph.go.th/covid19-dashboard/

44,562 official pcr tests carried out yesterday.

Rolling 7 day average (up to 3rd Sept) which includes prison cases and bar chart of community cases from daily official announcements.

https://ourworldindata.org/coronavirus/country/thailand

data 5 sept.png

data 5 sept 3.png

Rising as the general predicted. A bit soon as a result of relaxation as the virus has an incubation period and testing has a lag. So why the increase. Massaging figures?

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

The number of Thai people who I know in Pattaya who have been vaccinated is now relatively high, but only a handful have received their second jab.

Someone told me they could buy a Pfizer jab in Bangkok for 2000 baht. I don’t know who is authorized to sell Pfizer.

Measurement for a sandbox is 70% vaccinated - in TAT parlance that is 1 jab only - so they focus on the first jab to fix the numbers. TIT!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

I think that might be the case with some of my students too.  I guess they'll be given a choice of whether to go back to the classroom, or not.  Online works OK with teenagers and above, but I need my 6-year-old to get back to proper school!

Here is the backwards sticks - as of today not all teachers are vaccinated. 

I agree with this as it seems (at least in the village of my wife) they are pushing vax the old and sick first. Fair play to them.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

I think that will depend on the vaccination rates of the Province. Take Phuket for example, the most vaxxed in Thailand. There is an update on the school sandbox program there although this only covers pre-school to year 4 (8-9 years old). Those above will remain online, why, I don't know?

Here's the latest rules shared by an International school via email:

For any children coming to school during the Sandbox (Preschool to Year 4) the following conditions would apply:

• All adults within the household of the child would need to be fully vaccinated.
  • All  staff involved in the Sandbox are fully vaccinated
  • Children would need to take an Antigen Test Kit (ATK) Covid test prior to coming into school and then weekly during the Sandbox scheme.
  • ATK tests are less invasive than a PCR test, do not require nasal swabs and only require a small sample of the childs saliva.
  • All staff within the Sandbox will have an ATK test prior the commencement of the scheme.
  • The school would provide the first of the ATK tests to children joining the Sandbox free of charge and it will be possible to collect these from the school via a drive through service towards the end of next week.
  • The test must be carried out 24 hours prior to the child joining classes each Monday and a Google Form will be shared with parents who have chosen to be part of the Sandbox. This will include a declaration to state that the child has completed an ATK test, that adult family members are vaccinated and that the result of the ATK test was negative. The ATK test must be performed weekly and the Google Form submitted every Sunday before 5pm.
  • Classes will remain in a class bubble and will only interact with children within that bubble.
  • In the event of a positive result from the ATK test, the attached flow chart will need to be followed to determine the outcome for the child who has tested positive and other members of the class bubble.
  • The MoPH would liaise with the school and determine which children within the bubble are considered Low-Risk Contacts (LRCs - these would self-isolate at home), and which are High-Risk Contacts (HRCs)
  • For HRCs, if these contacts have suitable accommodation for isolation, the MoPH may determine that the HRC can isolate at home provided that separate rooms are available for the isolation and that the HRC does not leave the premises. This is condition 3 on the attached flow-chart.
  • If it is not possible for the HRC to have a suitable home-quarantine, conditions 1 or 2 would apply on the attached flow-chart.
  • In the event that a positive case was found in a class, the class would close for 14 days.
  • Parents can opt-out of the Sandbox programme at any time.

Whilst children would be required to test on a weekly basis, and may need to isolate in the event of a positive case within their bubble, I do feel that these conditions are suitable to begin the process of re-opening under the Sandbox conditions. Sending a child to school will remain a parental decision and for those that wish to keep their child at home, we will continue to provide online learning.

Thanks for that - I just noticed ... "school sandbox program" ... is this an official prog or just something you invented (quite right too - not criticising) 

15 minutes ago, sapson said:

These official figures are showing over 30% positive rate from Pcr tests, that is incredibly high yet the official line is everything is under control lets relax regulations and open up the country, yet a year ago with circa 30 cases a day and virtually no testing it was full lockdown.

Am i missing something here? but isnt this just extreme negligence and encouraging the further spread of the virus with less than 20% vaccinated.

You are missing nothing - the CCSA reported the new paradime of living with Covid as GDP is suffering (non economics speak - HiSos are complaining). No metrics were mentioned so it looks like the towel has been thrown in by the general on containment. Which is ok if they get the country vaxed quickly, focus on the old and sick and stop messing around with litterboxes (as seems to be happening).