WISE Transfers (formerly Transferwise)

Has anyone seen this new popup question when transferring funds this last week or two?

Tax Residency
We are required to collect your tax residency for reporting purposes under the internationally agreed standards for the exchange of financial account information (CRS & FATCA).

It displays a drop down box below this text with a few different answers you can select.

Edited by fondue zoo
  • Confused 1

This has to do with the new eService tax law that Thailand introduced this year (or is about to introduce, not sure about that). They want to charge VAT for online services. I have been bombarded by Microsoft and other SW companies with the same request to either enter tax residency or tax ID, if I am a business. 

The US government will now collect even more information from their citizens abroad in order to tax them... 

10 hours ago, fondue zoo said:

Tax Residency
We are required to collect your tax residency for reporting purposes under the internationally agreed standards for the exchange of financial account information (CRS & FATCA).

It displays a drop down box below this text with a few different answers you can select.

had it a few months ago on my Lloyds bank account when sending some money out. But I'm sure I've had it before then too

Sending money from Germany since about 2 years.

Having proofed residence in Thailand when registering.

Never got such a message. Not a US citizen.

My German bank has my Thai address, no more address in Germany and treats my as a "tax foreigner" (not sure what the English term is). Not paying tax in Germany nor here.

Edited by KhunBENQ

I'm not a US citizen but I did query support and they pointed me to their online faq. 

We are still evaluating the impact of the Common Reporting Standards, including FATCA, to our business and how we will adopt the new requirements. At this time we are not reporting this information to HMRC or any other tax authority.