Foreigners who join anti-govt protests face deportation and blacklist: Thai police

webfact

6 hours ago, SiamAndy said:

Pathetic excuse of a government. A government who threatens their citizens and their guests is not a legitimate government.

You might swing through the democratic country of Australia. Seems like they are cracking down on their own citizens more than Thailand. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, Nojohndoe said:

If for no other reason it will be an attempt to avoid international outcry if a foreigner is killed when tactics get more nasty. It has precedent. I wonder what the approach is to foreign Journalists this time around?

Speaking of which, not surprised there hasn't been any such notable foreign journalists on the streets of the last several months. Perhaps the foreign press interests is waning, as it amounts to be the same old story. 

Interesting to note, there are some well established and legitimate international press types that are long time Thailand residents whom have little interest through the current waves. Even distinguished Thai scholars/writers are finding the ongoing events to be wearisome. 

These types of press releases by the Thai authorities are somewhat predictable, as they clearly wear their thoughts on their sleeves.

The only reasoning behind such a promoted story of this type might be presented is the fact there are supposedly known Farang [maybe two or three] taking part.....

Edited by zzaa09

7 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Did you miss the s on the end, they come in pairs I believe.

What, like Anutin and Prayut? ????

Sorry...I meant Laurel and Hardy......

Edited by VBF

13 minutes ago, djayz said:

After how many decades and x thousand Baht in tax contributions does one cease to be a guest and become a resident/member of society?

Ask a Thai Chinese business owner. They have little red lanterns hanging outside so that when the takeover becomes official they will be passed over.

6 hours ago, Gandtee said:

What about us foreigners who express their view on various news websites like this one? If so, these sites won't be worth following and the rascals who have said naughty things about the government will be sent packing. To leave their wives and children to the mercy of the thought police for attitude adjustment. Many of us rascals have lived here from long before most of the protesters were born and maybe have a better perspective as to why they are protesting. Thailand = Freeland= oxymoron.

IMO, it's always a good plan to have a "forum identity" and supply no accurate personal details of oneself.

7 hours ago, ben2talk said:

So publicly they are saying they will punish anyone who excercises freedom of speech, there is no right to a POV, there's no right to complain....

Only the right of the regime to demand impunity and take down anyone that threatens it...

what's a POV   ?

• Haha 1

Just now, tonray said:

I'm convinced some members have never even been to Thailand...the ultimate false identity !

I agree.

I'm always aware, when posting, that I don't live in Thailand, but after more than 40 trips as a tourist, often a long-stay one, I like to think I know more than possibly the average 2-week package tourist. That and having several friends who do live in Thailand with whom I keep in touch regularly.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tau152 said:

Whoa there, SicTransit!! No need to be rude or to ‘talk down’ to me!! Of course ‘a country is not someone’s house’!  Can you not accept its use as an analogy?  Every CITIZEN has the constitutional right, even the duty I would suggest, to protest, as long as they abide by the law!!    Non-citizens (farangs) do NOT and should not have any such right!!!  Repeating my analogy, if you come into ‘my house’ as an ‘invited’ guest and start telling ME how to run my house, you can expect to be ‘disinvited’....”deported” out the front door!!  

But if you are a paying guest, ie lodger surely you have the right to complain if the bathroom facilities are not working or your bed breaks?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, geoffrobbo said:

I wish they would do that in Australia - deport foreigners who protest against our country

Damn right - we could do with that in UK....especially those who've sought and got refugee status, then criticise everything the country gives them!   ????

• Like 1

Just now, Gandtee said:

But if you are a paying guest, ie lodger surely you have the right to complain if the bathroom facilities are not working or your bed breaks?

That's only if the innkeeper is interested in anything you have to say. Unfortunately, they couldn't care less. It's called "cutting a fat hog in the a$$."

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ben2talk said:

So publicly they are saying they will punish anyone who excercises freedom of speech, there is no right to a POV, there's no right to complain....

Only the right of the regime to demand impunity and take down anyone that threatens it...

This is not your country.  Respect is required.  You have no right to voice or show your opinion.  Leave Thais to take care of Thailand.   Or just leave, might be the better choice. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, HappyExpat57 said:

Uh, YOU'RE the one saying foreigners should be able to protest. I'm merely pointing out you should put your money where your mouth is. Do it with gusto!

The Constitution of the country is saying it, not me. The fact that excercising this right has been made difficult for everyone doesn't change it.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Mike k said:

They have the same problem in the US protesters come from out of state to loot and block roads 

Known as "Rent-a-crowd" - possibly many of them don't even know what the protest is about - just want a punch-up!

7 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Foreigners protesting are the least of their worries.

Can't blame it on the foreign bogeymen this time, chumps.

They can, and they will if at some point it suits them to blame outsiders. Oldest trick in the book.

• Like 2

Just now, SicTransit said:

The Constitution of the country is saying it, not me. The fact that exercising this right has been made difficult for everyone doesn't change it.

And you are spouting off nonsense (IMO, of course) and I'm challenging to back up that nonsense with action - then get back to us.

14 minutes ago, tonray said:

I'm convinced some members have never even been to Thailand...the ultimate false identity !

Yeah. I am surprised at the number of guys on this forum who live overseas. They miss Thailand too much? They dream of a life here? Who knows? 

Frustrating for Cha Cha. Out of the reach of their sweaty palms. 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Yeah. I am surprised at the number of guys on this forum who live overseas. They miss Thailand too much? They dream of a life here? Who knows? 

Frustrating for Cha Cha. Out of the reach of their sweaty palms. 

As one of those guys (and I assume others are in similar positions,) I come to Thailand so regularly (or did before Covid) that the country is actually part of my life.   Used to do 6 weeks on 6 weeks off when I worked in the Middle East.

Now, I truly miss my 3 months a year "snowbirding" and am genuinely interested in what goes on in Thailand.

As for being out of reach - glance at my earlier post about having a Forum Identity.

Edited by VBF
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1