Foreigners who join anti-govt protests face deportation and blacklist: Thai police

webfact

3 hours ago, ben2talk said:

So publicly they are saying they will punish anyone who excercises freedom of speech, there is no right to a POV, there's no right to complain....

Only the right of the regime to demand impunity and take down anyone that threatens it...

Missunderstanding here !!!

They can have their POV. But to participate in some kind of riot, that doesn't please the police...... The police wants to punish for the participation and not for having a POV.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, HappyExpat57 said:

I used to think this way, then Covid entered the scene. Now their inept mismanagement affects just about every aspect of my life. ☹️

I'm sure Paryut and Anutin would beg to differ with you on that one...

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

We don'y have the right to vote, we don't get to protest... we are visitors.

If we don't like it look for pastures new, sounds fair.

Certainly true. We are, and always will be, only visitors in this country (or cheap day labourers in the case of Cambodians, etc.). Tourists or day labourers without rights don't join political protests.

Besides, having met some of those youngsters who took part in a demo, I realised what racist a******* they are, so no sympathy from me for their cause.

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

3 hours ago, Nojohndoe said:

If for no other reason it will be an attempt to avoid international outcry if a foreigner is killed when tactics get more nasty. It has precedent. I wonder what the approach is to foreign Journalists this time around?

Exactly what I was wondering ... I've been around a few of the redshirt demos a while back ... but never 'took part' ... was observing and talking to people. But how would they view that?

I can remember a couple of farangs who got arrested for going on stage at those demos back then ... can't remember if they were deported and blacklisted though ... maybe someone can?

Edited by BusyB

3 hours ago, Whale said:

That does not make sense. By all means arrest him/her for breaking covid rules but what has their nationality got to do with anything and why do they have to "warn" foreigners specifically? 

Bullies always want to pick on someone....

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, tau152 said:

If you are not a citizen, you are merely a guest of the country and have NO legal right to interfere with the the politics of that country, be it Thailand, Cambodia, Canada, USA, UK; etc!!

While I believe non-citizens should, within limits, be allowed to express reasoned opinions on web sites and public forums such as this, surely we shouldn’t expect to be allowed to promote or incite violent actions such as overthrowing the government?!!   

Were you to allow someone into your house, would you tolerate that person’s subsequent efforts to interfere with the rules set down in your house?  I think not!!!  Until you become a citizen of a country, keeping your nose out of its politics is my advice!!  

The division between a foreigner or a Thai overthrowing the Thai government or inciting violence is a moot point.  Both would be dealt with in the same way - either shot or incarcerated for a very long time.

Just as would happen if a Thai was involved in any attempted to violently overthrow the UK / US / Chinese governments. 

Violent protests and peaceful protest - the former is against a multitude of laws and is illegal the latter is accepted. (although i understand it may not be wise or sensible). 

4 hours ago, ben2talk said:

So publicly they are saying they will punish anyone who excercises freedom of speech, there is no right to a POV, there's no right to complain....

Only the right of the regime to demand impunity and take down anyone that threatens it...

DId you mis-read the word ‘foreigner’?  They did not say “ANYONE”, they said  

“Foreigners“ who join anti-govt protests face deportation and blacklist !!!

3 hours ago, Neeranam said:

The Thai Constitutional laws are not for foreigners, only Thai nationals. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1