Foreigners who join anti-govt protests face deportation and blacklist: Thai police

webfact

8 hours ago, Pravda said:

You got it. Not my country anyway.

“Not your country anyway,” what exactly are you saying? You just don’t care? Perhaps I am reading into your statement incorrectly? Remember these words. “First they come for your neighbors then they come for you.”

5 hours ago, KhonKaenAde said:

If you think about it, if you were a foreign National in another Country and caught at a political rally you be arrested, imprisoned and deported, so no different.

Er, no you wouldn't unless you're talking about totalitarian regimes.In Western Europe, North America, Australasia or Japan it wouldn't be of the slightest concern.

Perhaps it is you that needs to think about it further.

Edited by jayboy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Who said Thailand means "free land"?

Yes, there is a word in Thai that means free(Thai) but the thai in Thailand means 'people'.

Paw Piboonsongkram was responsible for this name change and as was popular at the time(1920s/30s) with his buddies in Europe, Nationalism was the fad here, so he copied VW(the car of the people), for example and invented a new dish called 'noodles of the people', Pad Tai. 

Thailand means the land of the people. 

Also, these forums are anonymous. 

Over centuries, the locals have always referred to this place as เมืองไทย, less the romanticized and highly invented Euro-terminology of Siam or Thailand or whatever. 

Edited by zzaa09

2 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

They overestimate our work ethic.

Why go out marching in the blazing sun with a banner in the centre of Bangkok risking arrest?

We can happily protest, whinge, moan and groan about the corruption and the government on this TVF forum in the air con with a coffee.

...or Ya Dong. 

Whatever your preference.

????

• Like 1

5 hours ago, HappyExpat57 said:

Have you been here long enough to remember that Aussie running his mouth off at Victoria Monument during the red shirt/yellow shirt protests? He was invited to leave the country and I doubt he will ever be back again.

We are guests here. It's not our country, and it's not a democracy in the way some think of democracies. It's best to just stay out of the whole mess. And my favorite Thai saying? "Up to you."

https://www.smh.com.au/world/aussie-in-thai-protests-deported-20100907-14zdk.html

I met conor in sihanoukville (a few times) prior to his little deportation. The last time I saw him we had a few beers in a bar and went halves in the bill. I couldnt believe it when he walked home with me and started to ask if he could borrow some money. I said no several times and started to feel a little intimidated to be honest. In the end I gave him some old cambodian note worth about 30c. That guy was a piece of work...

2 hours ago, HappyExpat57 said:

You go ahead and have that printed on a t-shirt (recommend both Thai & English) then get into the thick of the protests. Make sure you are VERY active, VERY vocal. Let us know how that works out for you.

Or even worse: have some Thai radical come and head-butt you, even as you support their cause - simply because you are a farang!!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Pierre Hanot said:

Remember the HK riots ? A bunch of them didn't speak Chinese nor Mandarin. 

Some even waiving a foreign flag. 

You never know...

You'll find that the foreigners [especially from the West] engaged in the HK riots, be it in person or faux online warriors, were passionately phony and pushing their agendas that had little to do with the good folks of HK. 

4 minutes ago, DBath said:

Or even worse: have some Thai radical come and head-butt you, even as you support their cause - simply because you are a farang!!

Probably have it coming - just because you're Farang. 

Nothing terribly exceptional or special about your kind. 

Except in one's deluded state, perhaps.

• Confused 1

20 minutes ago, zzaa09 said:

Probably have it coming - just because you're Farang. 

Nothing terribly exceptional or special about your kind. 

Except in one's deluded state, perhaps.

My kind???? Your comprehension sucks. That's all I'm going to say to you - all you're worth.

Good luck with your quest to pass yourself off as Mr. 'V' (for Vendetta).

Mr. Cat Lover

Edited by DBath

2 hours ago, mahtin said:

Ask a Thai Chinese business owner. They have little red lanterns hanging outside so that when the takeover becomes official they will be passed over.

What a load of rubbish. 

2 hours ago, zzaa09 said:

Speaking of which, not surprised there hasn't been any such notable foreign journalists on the streets of the last several months. Perhaps the foreign press interests is waning, as it amounts to be the same old story. 

Interesting to note, there are some well established and legitimate international press types that are long time Thailand residents whom have little interest through the current waves. Even distinguished Thai scholars/writers are finding the ongoing events to be wearisome. 

These types of press releases by the Thai authorities are somewhat predictable, as they clearly wear their thoughts on their sleeves.

The only reasoning behind such a promoted story of this type might be presented is the fact there are supposedly known Farang [maybe two or three] taking part.....

All possible from a position of conjecture. I for one would have no idea as to the presence or not of  foreign journalists but I could understand the restrictions of  compliance of entry to Thailand may be a major inhibition to the perhaps usual flit and flight of journalists of any capacity. Those resident may also as yet found nothing of journalistic merit to make much comment on due to the competition social media may provide. Similarly Thai commentary by scholars/writers is constrained by any significant opportunity that indeed is not more than wearisome?

Why would you suggest that the motivation (reasoning) behind the announcement of repercussions for involvement relates to "Farang" specifically when they are outnumbered in Thailand  in huge  numbers by other Asian nationalities?

10 hours ago, ben2talk said:

So publicly they are saying they will punish anyone who excercises freedom of speech, there is no right to a POV, there's no right to complain....

Only the right of the regime to demand impunity and take down anyone that threatens it...

And this is a surprise to you?!?!?

When did you arrive in Thailand? Last night? Freedom of speech in Thailand is ethereal and on certain subjects which should be entirely obvious, verboten, .... non-extant.

You are a guest in the kingdom, for a foreigner to participate in anti-government protest, in particular, THESE, anti-government protests, given their demands, is the height of absurdity.

Even Thai nationals are really putting themselves at risk, with all due respect and admiration to their cause of freedom and democracy.

As a foreigner, this is NOT an area you should insert yourself, emergency degree or not. Full stop.

2 hours ago, kuzmabruk said:

This is not your country.  Respect is required.  You have no right to voice or show your opinion.  Leave Thais to take care of Thailand.   Or just leave, might be the better choice. 

I was not born in this country and I will never be a Thai citizen like most who comment here. However I have lived here and been deeply involved with Thailand for decades. My wife is a citizen of this country as are my children . Are you suggesting I cannot have an opinion on any matters at all in the country of my immediate loved ones where I live and work and I am pretty sure I will die. 

Can I opine about military coups and dictatorships or street violence? How about the state of the road that runs past our house or the poorly equipped local school or hospital?or should I limit myself to just opining on the weather or not even that? 

And where does your call for respect start and stop? And to whom should I give this respect to? Should I show respect to the corrupt official who hinders his own countries economic progress so he can line his own pockets or to the bent copper pushing for a monthly contribution from our family business? 

I call this place home as the rest of my family do and I think we should all be able to talk and comment on all aspects of life here freely. I encourage my children to do just this.  

I firmly believe in good citizenship and making a positive contribution to the country I live in, but I do not believe in blind obedience to those in power. 

Whether recognized or not immigrants have made and I am sure will continue to make a positive contribution to Thailand. It is not for any of us to judge our own contribution to our adopted homeland but I would like to think that in some small way my contribution has been positive. 

My two satang worth? This is Thailand and I respect the Thai citizens to decide policies for their country. I will restrict my voice to only advising my country’s interaction and my countrymen concerning visiting the Kingdam of Thailand.

Edited by wwest5829

9 hours ago, Gandtee said:

What about us foreigners who express their view on various news websites like this one? If so, these sites won't be worth following and the rascals who have said naughty things about the government will be sent packing. To leave their wives and children to the mercy of the thought police for attitude adjustment. Many of us rascals have lived here from long before most of the protesters were born and maybe have a better perspective as to why they are protesting. Thailand = Freeland= oxymoron.

I worry about that quite a bit also, and I do believe the Thai military has a troll or 2 that engages on this sight. There was one I called out a few weeks ago and he disappeared since, but he probably operates under a number of usernames. When you see a user that follows the rhetoric of the PM and promotes it, look at the fellow members that support what he says. Maybe I'm paranoid, but I'm suspicious of members that consistently agree with govt policies.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, sbf said:

I was not born in this country and I will never be a Thai citizen like most who comment here. However I have lived here and been deeply involved with Thailand for decades. My wife is a citizen of this country as are my children . Are you suggesting I cannot have an opinion on any matters at all in the country of my immediate loved ones where I live and work and I am pretty sure I will die. 

Can I opine about military coups and dictatorships or street violence? How about the state of the road that runs past our house or the poorly equipped local school or hospital?or should I limit myself to just opining on the weather or not even that? 

And where does your call for respect start and stop? And to whom should I give this respect to? Should I show respect to the corrupt official who hinders his own countries economic progress so he can line his own pockets or to the bent copper pushing for a monthly contribution from our family business? 

I call this place home as the rest of my family do and I think we should all be able to talk and comment on all aspects of life here freely. I encourage my children to do just this.  

I firmly believe in good citizenship and making a positive contribution to the country I live in, but I do not believe in blind obedience to those in power. 

Whether recognized or not immigrants have made and I am sure will continue to make a positive contribution to Thailand. It is not for any of us to judge our own contribution to our adopted homeland but I would like to think that in some small way my contribution has been positive. 

You're a good person, but don't do any of that. Thailand has more censorship than Taliban Afghanistan. Literally, it's researched and rated globally. So behave like the Taliban is ruling and you may stay. They make the rules, you have to play by them. Be like the rest of the forum - watch their deeds and make idle comments. It's all we're allowed.

11 hours ago, Whale said:

That does not make sense. By all means arrest him/her for breaking covid rules but what has their nationality got to do with anything and why do they have to "warn" foreigners specifically? 

They can hardly deport and blacklist Thais, can they. 

11 hours ago, vinci said:

its amazed me of some of these farang in here and their mind set, their entitlement, freedom of speech, their right, last time i check YOU ARE A GUESTS, "facepalm", just speechless 

Same goes for walking maskless cause it violates freedom ….still find many mindless

• Thanks 1