Foreigners who join anti-govt protests face deportation and blacklist: Thai police

webfact

1 minute ago, Gandtee said:

What about us foreigners who express their view on various news websites like this one? If so, these sites won't be worth following and the rascals who have said naughty things about the government will be sent packing. To leave their wives and children to the mercy of the thought police for attitude adjustment. Many of us rascals have lived here from long before most of the protesters were born and maybe have a better perspective as to why they are protesting. Thailand = Freeland= oxymoron.

Who said Thailand means "free land"?

Yes, there is a word in Thai that means free(Thai) but the thai in Thailand means 'people'.

Paw Piboonsongkram was responsible for this name change and as was popular at the time(1920s/30s) with his buddies in Europe, Nationalism was the fad here, so he copied VW(the car of the people), for example and invented a new dish called 'noodles of the people', Pad Tai. 

Thailand means the land of the people. 

Also, these forums are anonymous. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, webfact said:

On Wednesday (Sept 8), Pol Maj Gen Piya Tawichai, deputy commissioner of the Metropolitan Police Bureau (MPB) said foreigners who join the protests will be prosecuted and face deportation and would also be blacklisted from Thailand, INN reported

That's a contradiction : https://coconuts.co/bangkok/news/foreign-students-wont-be-deported-for-attending-protests-thai-immigration/

1 hour ago, webfact said:

On Wednesday (Sept 8), Pol Maj Gen Piya Tawichai, deputy commissioner of the Metropolitan Police Bureau (MPB) said foreigners who join the protests will be prosecuted and face deportation and would also be blacklisted from Thailand, INN reported

That's a contradiction: https://coconuts.co/bangkok/news/foreign-students-wont-be-deported-for-attending-protests-thai-immigration/ 

1 hour ago, Whale said:

That does not make sense. By all means arrest him/her for breaking covid rules but

1 hour ago, Whale said:

what has their nationality got to do with anything and

They aren't Thai, so they don't want them protesting.  They are threatening them with deportation to disincentivise them from protesting.

1 hour ago, Whale said:

why do they have to "warn" foreigners specifically? 

They cannot deport Thai people.  Foreigners may not be aware that they face deportation, so they are issuing the warning to make them aware.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Who said Thailand means "free land"?

Yes, there is a word in Thai that means free(Thai) but the thai in Thailand means 'people'.

Paw Piboonsongkram was responsible for this name change and as was popular at the time(1920s/30s) with his buddies in Europe, Nationalism was the fad here, so he copied VW(the car of the people), for example and invented a new dish called 'noodles of the people', Pad Tai. 

Thailand means the land of the people. 

Also, these forums are anonymous. 

I stand corrected.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, webfact said:

foreigners who join the protests will be prosecuted and face deportation and would also be blacklisted from Thailand

At this point in time, being a complete mess and run by a utter bunch of unempathetic automatons, if I were inclined to get on the streets with decent Thai people who JUST want a normal life, I’d take threat that as a bonus. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Whale said:

That does not make sense. By all means arrest him/her for breaking covid rules but what has their nationality got to do with anything and why do they have to "warn" foreigners specifically? 

Also see: Hong Kong, where clearly Western guys directed locals in "optimized mayhem". 

2 hours ago, ben2talk said:

So publicly they are saying they will punish anyone who excercises freedom of speech, there is no right to a POV, there's no right to complain....

Only the right of the regime to demand impunity and take down anyone that threatens it...

Yep. They've never tried to hide it. Always been this way here and probably always will be. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, petermik said:

I think being a visitor to the country we should respect their laws....whether we agree with them is another matter.

All must follow the law and that includes foreigners . Respect the law is not the way to explain what you mean . How can you respect something you don't agree with .

• Like 2

While I'm in favor of these anti-government protests, being a foreigner, I wouldn't join them. And I find it acceptable that foreigners aren't allowed to join. It is up to the Thai people (or should be, hello army!) to decide who governs them. There shouldn't be any foreign meddling.

Back at home, I'm opposed to allowing foreigners to hold or join political protests as well, that is just common sense.

3 minutes ago, jayboy said:

So do I but what exactly is the Thai law being broken if foreigners attend political rallies? I remember many foreigners attending the yellow demonstrations and none of them were prosecuted or deported.

Thing is, back in 2010 it was a different bunch running the country.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, webfact said:

As they should be, IMO. Politics in Thailand are nothing to do with farangs, unless they become citizens.

Don't like it, you know where the exit is.

However, that's not saying we can't comment on here, within reason. Venting is good.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WhiteBuffaloATM said:

British Consulate says Thai Govt. (not Embassy) is responsible for safety of Brits here here. That protection would be conditional upon Brits complying with thai laws and with thai govt. application of those laws.

Did you expect anything else from the British embassy?

• Like 1

What’s the fuss about, it’s their Country, their rules, their laws wether we agree ir disagree with them, it’s none of our business. Best leave it to the Thais. If you think about it, if you were a foreign National in another Country and caught at a political rally you be arrested, imprisoned and deported, so no different. Remember why you’re here, chill and relax not protest and complain

2 hours ago, WhiteBuffaloATM said:

Avoid here all politics, drugs, police, violence, bad guys, visa overstays, arguments, defamation, etc Stay Out of Trouble !

Incentivise yourself by checking out Thai Bangkok Prison Conditions & stories from foreigners released/ home transfered  after 1-5 years in the monkey house….. behind LOS Amazing TL mask, its very ugly indeed…….

I have a good Aussie friend who, unfortunately, took too much to the whacky weed. I warned him time and time again. Of course, he got caught, spent nearly a year in jail, then got deported back to the land down under. Adding insult to injury, the local authorities placed him on a terrorist watch list. Now, he can't even get on a plane to ANYWHERE! These people will leave you alone if you stick to THEIR laws. If that's too much for you, best to get to somewhere where you can. Uruguay has no drug laws.

• Like 2