Phuket bar closures, alcohol restrictions hit agenda

webfact

pp.jpg

Photo: PR Phuket

PHUKET: Boutique hotels being forced to close, the effect of the alcohol ban in restaurants and the ongoing suffering of Patong entertainment venue operators were just three of the issues raised with advisors to Deputy Prime Minister Supattanapong Punmeechaow visiting Phuket yesterday (Sept 9).

ACM Eakchanat Rattanaubon, Pawin Chamniprasat and Dr Korn Pongch.ittham, all advisors to Deputy Prime Minister Supattanapong, chaired a meeting at Phuket Provincial Hall yesterday afternoon to be be brought up to speed on key issues affecting Phuket’s tourism industry, and affecting the Phuket Sandbox scheme.

The three advisors are to return to and report the key issues central government figures in Bangkok, noted a report by the Phuket office of the public Relations Department (PR Phuket).

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-bar-closures-alcohol-restrictions-hit-agenda-81352.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2021-09-10

• Like 1

In its eternal wisdom - yet another splendid idea to promote tourism, litter boxes and other gifted ideas ........ electronic bracelets and reporting to the police every hour to the hour next? 

Would any Thai spend holidays like this anywhere on the planet? But yes, those guys cooking up such farts usually are above the average Joe - and fly in the "semi-divine" class ???? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, webfact said:

Boutique hotels being forced to close, the effect of the alcohol ban in restaurants and the ongoing suffering of Patong entertainment venue operators were just three of the issues raised with advisors to Deputy Prime Minister Supattanapong Punmeechaow visiting Phuket yesterday (Sept 9).

Otherwise a success?

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, madmitch said:

“Additionally, I also want responsible officers to adjust the method of counting high-risk arrivals on the plane because they must go into a quarantine venue, instead of traveling,”

What does this mean? Surely no one on the plane should be deemed high risk as they have already been tested and have jumped through all the hoops to get the certificate of entry.

The hotel licensing issue is a difficult one. If they don't introduce a specific classification for small hotels, many will simply go out of business, if they haven't already. The documents required, including original plans for the buildings, are numerous and unobtainable for many. And the aditional information required for SHA approval is aimed at large hotels with full restaurant facilities. Very unfair to expect Somchai's Guesthouse to have the same approval process as the Hilton

It's already happening to the small hotels and guest houses, their removal from the SHA+ scheme as they dont have the proper hotel licenses 

• Sad 1

I read this 'news' and I wish, oh how I wish I had a solution to the terrible experience the Thai people have been enduring on 'my' island. I am not God so I don't. All I can say and wish for is vaccinations and more vaccinations. We falang's don't know the plight of Thai's unless we are extremely close to some, and this closeness is quite rare as far as I can see.

11 minutes ago, madmitch said:

Exactly. A year and a half of no business and then get hit with this.

Still have to pay the room tax though, and despite not having guests, you still have to complete the form every month and email ot to the OrBorJor to declare a zero amount or you get a fine!

It works exactly the same with VAT in the Netherlands if you have 0 you still have to file. Its perfectly logical from a controller point of view. Because if you don't implement this then you never know if someone has forgotten it or has zero. The tax office can not make that distinction just like the OrBor Jor cannot.

So stop moaning its a normal practice from a controller point of view. This way they always have all filings. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, madmitch said:

“Additionally, I also want responsible officers to adjust the method of counting high-risk arrivals on the plane because they must go into a quarantine venue, instead of traveling,”

What does this mean? Surely no one on the plane should be deemed high risk as they have already been tested and have jumped through all the hoops to get the certificate of entry.

The hotel licensing issue is a difficult one. If they don't introduce a specific classification for small hotels, many will simply go out of business, if they haven't already. The documents required, including original plans for the buildings, are numerous and unobtainable for many. And the aditional information required for SHA approval is aimed at large hotels with full restaurant facilities. Very unfair to expect Somchai's Guesthouse to have the same approval process as the Hilton

Don't think they were referring to international tourism there but domestic.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Tropposurfer said:

I read this 'news' and I wish, oh how I wish I had a solution to the terrible experience the Thai people have been enduring on 'my' island. I am not God so I don't. All I can say and wish for is vaccinations and more vaccinations. We falang's don't know the plight of Thai's unless we are extremely close to some, and this closeness is quite rare as far as I can see.

I have lived in this same area for 20 years, longer than lots of Thai people so I got to know lots of Thais and families, and local tradesmen they are suffering, one family I have known for years packed up the other week cant last no longer down here, 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, Espanol said:

I will go tomorrow night 

Thats good, Im told on Bangla road there are many bars open and pussy bars can you check for me please a couple of photo's wouldn't go a miss, only the wife doesn't believe me she doesn't want me driving all the way there and everything is closed 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ChipButty said:

Thats good, Im told on Bangla road there are many bars open and pussy bars can you check for me please a couple of photo's wouldn't go a miss, only the wife doesn't believe me she doesn't want me driving all the way there and everything is closed 

I'm in Spain now waiting to board flight to Phuket. 

I will take your pictures tomorrow night. 

But I seriously doubt that bars, and specially beer bars and clubs are already open.

May be a hidden drink at a restaurant with dinner.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ChipButty said:

You are welcome to pop down and say hello any time. As I said earlier I am here every day. Black Horse or Blue Lotus cafe on Bangla could be a good place to start as they are in the middle

• Like 1

8 hours ago, hotchilli said:

But then they wouldn't make any money.

the SHA=hotel is a scam.

I have just finished my second sandbox. Total spent Baht 39,000 for two pleasant entries to Thailand. It cost me Baht 52,000 for one ASQ in Bangkok in December. As an aside the UK wants me to spend Baht 100,000 approx for 10 days in a box in London for quarantine. Which is the biggest rip off / scam?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Rhacsyn said:

I have just finished my second sandbox. Total spent Baht 39,000 for two pleasant entries to Thailand. It cost me Baht 52,000 for one ASQ in Bangkok in December. As an aside the UK wants me to spend Baht 100,000 approx for 10 days in a box in London for quarantine. Which is the biggest rip off / scam?

Comparing price to price in different countries and capitol cities is futile.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

On 9/10/2021 at 6:59 PM, ChipButty said:

can you check for me please a couple of photo's wouldn't go a miss

I went to Bangla Road at midnight on Saturday night. Everything was closed.

Only some food stalls and people sitting around having a beer in plastic cups.

I add some pictures. 

It was like in "The walking deads".

I will go again on Sunday night before 22:00 to have a drink and have a look.

20210912_005802.jpg

20210912_005530.jpg

20210912_002251.jpg

20210912_002144.jpg

20210912_002120.jpg

20210912_002038.jpg

20210912_001850.jpg

• Thanks 2

On 9/10/2021 at 11:50 PM, Rhacsyn said:

but you could save a lot if you take a 10 day break somewhere like Spain or France on your way back to UK,  no quarantine then 

no option for this on the way back to Thailand 

• Like 1