Dying to re-open: Phuket business leaders push for Dec 1 full re-opening

webfact

3 hours ago, 2long said:

I REALLY hope that most of the country can be open without quarantine, and with bars and nightlife available, by December 1st at the latest! ????????????????

If this doesn't happen, imagine the lost revenue for westerners wanting to come for Christmas & New Year. ????

Think the ''Westerners'' will save quite a lot.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

PHUKET: Key Phuket tourism industry leaders have submitted a formal proposal to reopen the island fully to tourism on Dec 1 under the standard ‘New Normal’ regulations already in effect under a campaign called “Phuket Freedom Day”

I sincerely hope the Phuket health authorities can cope.

3 hours ago, Somtamnication said:

It won't happen. Only a matter  time before  the new MU variant arrives. Buckle up!

It could be here - Thailand does not perform enough DNA testing on covid cases (hence red listed by the UK) and even if it did according to some of the CCSA there are 4-5million untested. This level of Covid spread could create some interesting new variants here in Thailand (again)

3 minutes ago, DaiHard said:

Israel has the highest percentage of vaccinated people and a huge number of covid cases (per capita one of the highest in the world) and the UK is running @ 39,000 new cases a day, USA 177,000 and even Australia has a rapidly increasing number of cases - 1,800 today - up from ~30 a day just before they brought in their 'stasi' style lockdown. Meanwhile Denmark and Sweden have now fully opened up. Do you honestly believe covid will go away? It's with us now, it is probably in pigs, bats and birds now, and will eventually mutant into flu/common cold. So impoverishing people, with the attendant problems such as crime/suicide/despair, just to keep you happy may not be feasible.

I must agree with you BUT once all elderly and sick are fully vaccinated with effective vaccines. There are enough Pfizer/AZ jabs on order to do this as all those vaccinated with the Chinese "vaccination" will need either a topup or revaccinating. Then open up completely as hospitals are then protected as best as can be.. This thing will keep spreading. There is no hiding from it.

• Like 2

Phuket Tourism Council President Thanet Tantipiriyakit explained that opening the island to tourism on Dec 1 could see the more than 200,000 tourists arrive under the Sandbox scheme in December, and even more in the first quarter of next year in addition to boosted numbers of domestic tourists coming to Phuket.

Surely fully reopened means exactly that, at least to fully vaccinated tourists; no sandbox, no COE, no covid testing once in the country, bars and restaurants open and a free choice of where to stay, whether SHA+ or not.

Or is my interpretation a little different?

2 hours ago, Guderian said:

What could possibly go wrong with this cunning plan?

• Thailand is still on the forbidden list of most western countries, so quarantine on returning home will be required.
  • China is locked up tighter than a clam as far as tourist travel outside the country is concerned.
  • By December, the next Winter wave of infections and deaths will be ramping up nicely across the northern hemisphere.
  • The Phuket sandbox has shown clearly that, no matter what precautions are taken, the virus will find its way into the community and spread like wildfire (55 cases per 100K people in Phuket, compared with 21 nationally).

Now what else have I missed?

You have missed the fact that most of the COVID infections are local, brought in by Thais returning fro abroad because of very stupid relaxed rules. Why not oblige every Thai arriving in Phuket or elsewhere be obliged to be double vaccinated and full PCR test certificate ? Also the fact that they have to vaccinate all their own people first, and fast . Who are in the hospitals and on ventilators, filling the beds and spreading the virus, their own people. Only then can you open up Thailand properly, but it has to be done super fast, because the Thai people are on their knees, the local economy is broken, Thais need help. That means opening up and helping them. We have to live with this for along time maybe.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, IamNoone88 said:

Thailand can only control what is within Thailand. Anything else is out Thailand's control.

The Sandbox is a failure, not because of local cases or local vaccinations rates (though that has clearly not helped), but (i) The desire of tourists to come to Thailand at this time - there is currently no pull factor - arrive for what? (ii) Thailand has absolutely no control over external origin country factors such as the ability of visitors  to freely and easily depart from a home country to Thailand and more importantly (iii) the ability to freely and easily return to a home country - quarantine free. 

Hong Kong 3 weeks quarantine, Singapore two quarantine, UK, 10 days, China 3 weeks, Australians cannot even leave ..... NZ etc ... USA travel warnings. The list goes on and there is no sight of this ending yet. All of this is out of Thailand's hands. We have not even mentioned flight availability yet and ease of travel.

There are many challenges to attract Tourists and the majority is external factor dictated and not internal. So lets move on from the Sandbox hype ..... 

Frankly, the domestic economy has been hurt badly at the expense of "international arrivals". Phuket's isolation has worked against domestic visitors and business.

It is, in my opinion, better to open up the domestic economy first as that is controllable and far greater than anything that tourism has brought to Phuket under the Sandbox.

There also be a clear divide between returning residents who should not be shoe horned into hotel accommodation when they have invested in their own homes in Thailand. With testing controls in place they should be able to home quarantine. After all, local domestic Covid contacts can now home quarantine to release hospital beds. There is no difference between a negative tested residential arrival and a negative tested close Covid contact. 

In my opinion, it will take another two years before tourism starts to return to any normal levels.

Airline analysts predict that 2019 levels will not return until at lease 2024/25.

Open up the domestic economy.

Won’t work, not enough local tourists . It s a drop in the ocean. Also , those traveling would have to be fully vaccinated and tested before leaving or on arrival.

2 hours ago, 3NUMBAS said:

europe will be into another lockdown by then with winter cases up again as expected

for flu and covid

Flu ??? Have you missed the part where all those virologists and friends said flu doesn't exist anymore and has magically disapeared . Everything is covid . 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, geisha said:

Won’t work, not enough local tourists . It s a drop in the ocean. Also , those traveling would have to be fully vaccinated and tested before leaving or on arrival.

Sandbox is a failure. That did not work for the reasons prescribed. Hotel managers have told me directly, local tourism and staycations were more successful. But its not about hotels. I have a pan Thailand business to run. I cannot visit my projects, suppliers and employees and return easily. Our expenditure has been stopped or delayed until we can inspect product and work. That is millions of Baht held back from the local economy and circulating to other businesses. Narrow minds never see the bigger picture.

• Like 1