Patong bars defy national order to open as ’restaurants’

snoop1130

14 hours ago, Gold Star said:

The most important thing to be opened in order to restore the local economy are 'Legs'.

Everything else will benefit due to the trickle down effect.

Mouthful of Goddam Coffee has just sprayed everywhere  ????

• Like 1

If same business plan as before, but with the sign changed from "Bar" to "Restaurant", it seems like to can have the dessert as takeaway. Reminds me of a restaurant in Bangkok with numerous pretty waitress, if you liked one - or more - of them, then she could be "takeaway" as dessert...????

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Scouse123 said:

If you are not going to go the whole hog and open the lot, don't bother at all. The idea was it was to be a near normal experiment. This sandbox is neither one nor the other pleasing and satisfying nobody.

People do not go on holiday to be told what they can and can't do and where they can and can't go.

That's not a holiday, it's an open prison environment.

Agree with the first part of you assessment, but don't agree with you telling others what to do and not do.

What choice do these bars and even the true restaurant owners have?  They have been effectively had their businesses shut down indefinitely.  They can not pay their bills without being open for customers and even restaurants are crippled since the only place they really make any appreciable amount of money is on alcohol sales.  

What this government does not seem to realize is the trickle down impact of this.  Business owners who close can't pay any loans outstanding.  That hurts the banks.  The employees who work for them can't pay their bills.  They can't pay for their housing, food, clothing, and any loans they have outstanding.  The lack of purchasing power hurts all of the other businesses such as hardware stores, department stores, building trades, beauty shops, etc as people without money can not buy from them.  

Finally, you would think that the government would be smart enough but that is a stretch to realize that sales generate VAT and without sales that the money to the government will go down dramatically as well. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, nausea said:

I think the primary target was/is high end ASQ hotels. Interestingly, I hear that cheaper boutique/guesthouse style hotels have recently been deleted from the ASQ database. I'm sure the fact some were enjoying 100% occupancy rates is totally unrelated.

Entire Plague Island Kitty Litter debacle was set up to prevent HiSos loosing i'll gained profits from a humanitarian disaster!

1 hour ago, stevenl said:

Agree with the first part of you assessment, but don't agree with you telling others what to do and not do.

I don't understand your response at all. Where have I written that?

I am not telling people what to do, I am outlining why the Sandbox isn't going to work.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, madmitch said:

This Government is not interested in small businesses. Their concern is purely with larger businesses, many of whom are Government "sponsors"!

I think that is true.  However you still would think they would recognize that without revenue coming into the government from sales that this would also curtail their power.   I don't think the situation is much different in the USA where large retailers were allowed to open while small shops were shuttered.  

2 hours ago, Scouse123 said:

I don't understand your response at all. Where have I written that?

I am not telling people what to do, I am outlining why the Sandbox isn't going to work.

Sorry, I imagined a ',' after 'people', which would change the meaning completely. My bad.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, HappyExpat57 said:

Is it cost effective to upgrade from a bar license to a restaurant license? 

Someone here, told me that it only costs about 500 bahts getting a food handling permit and that's all what they need.

I don't know if that's true.

When I drove down Bangla just before 6 pm (when they close the street to vehicles), I counted 15 "restaurants" open. Just a handful of customers in each place but plenty of paper cups on the tables. Most didn't seem to even be pretending to serve food. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Excellent news. I have no problem with absolute defiance of a toxic and extremely corrupt government, when the shutdowns are highly selective, and favor their cronies, and punish the common Thai. Defiance is what is needed at this time. Civil disobedience can be a very good thing, at times. 

It would be good if this disobedience could spread across the country as soon as possible, but is it actually disobedience, or connected people opening because they know they can get away with it.  The problem is that those bars not already owned by the police, local politicians or other miscellaneous connected persons, will be crucified.  The law is imposed by the corrupt, for the benefit of the corrupt, everyone else suffers.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Not cheap setting up a kitchen, with all the bits and pieces you need 

There's something called Stewart sandwiches in the States, Premade sandwiches and a small warming ove. The rule there is you have to offer food in a bar. Wonder if that would qualify in LoS

19 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Not cheap setting up a kitchen, with all the bits and pieces you need 

Take a walk down the street to the nearest 7-Eleven, grab a handful of 30 baht heat-and-eat sandwiches and stick them in the bar's beer cooler. That along with a cheap microwave and problem solved!

• Like 1