New Normal taxis! Partitions installed in 3,000 Bangkok cabs

webfact

2pm.jpg

Picture: Manager

Thailand's transport minister Saksayam Chidchob gave the thumbs up and sounded a klaxon at the unveiling of an innovation in road transport.

New Normal taxis.

Acrylic screens are being installed between the driver and passengers to prevent the spread of Covid-19.

The driver is cuccooned with a screen to his back and left side.

2pm1.jpg

Saksayam said it was yet another example of the Thai government under the leadership of PM Prayuth Chan-ocha not sitting idly by but making the tough, incisive decisions to protect the public from harm.

Three thousand taxis - all with handy symbols in the front window to alert potential riders to their being special - will be fitted with the screens. 

2pm3.jpg

Even better - there will be no increased cost for the increased service!

Hopefully the driver will be able to reach to his left to turn on the meter.

The plan will start next month reported Manager after an agreement was reached with SCG Chemicals to supply the knowhow. 

If the pilot scheme is successful then it will be expanded and become the norm normal, suggests ASEAN NOW.

asean_now_BB.jpg

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Saksayam said it was yet another example of the Thai government under the leadership of PM Prayuth Chan-ocha not sitting idly by but making the tough, incisive decisions to protect the public from harm.

A piece of plastic... hardly worthy of a nobel prize.

6 hours ago, fangless said:

More of an effective anti mugging device as the germs can still swirl around the screens!

Anti mugging 100% but forget about communication between driver and passenger. This from the voice of experience. Drove a taxi in Sydney so equipped 30 or so years ago - a Holden with a Perkins diesel engine. Slow but economical. So slow the double decker buses would overtake me while ascending the hill going out to Bondi - must have been around Rose Bay I think k. Ahh the memories come floating back

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, poyai111 said:

Anti mugging 100% but forget about communication between driver and passenger. This from the voice of experience. Drove a taxi in Sydney so equipped 30 or so years ago - a Holden with a Perkins diesel engine. Slow but economical. So slow the double decker buses would overtake me while ascending the hill going out to Bondi - must have been around Rose Bay I think k. Ahh the memories come floating back

It might've been me driving that old green double-decker bus in early '76 on Old South Head Rd.

Nothing's been said about the safety aspect..  I wonder how those screens fare in a serious road accident?  Sharp broken plastic into the face/neck of the passenger behind the driver....  ouch!

22 hours ago, rtco said:

The chances if these bl@@dy stupid screens stopping Covid nano-particles spreading around the taxi is zero. It's the same with the partitions that you get in restaurants and shops which are also absolutely useless. This is an airborne virus for goodness sake and it is invisible to the naked eye so any gap regardless how small it will get through.

They should  follow  best  practices  as  used by the Thai  police who under  interrogation use 6  plastic  bags for "their"  safety........there can be with all things side  effects such as death