Thai Education Ministry Plans to Tackle Teachers’ Debts Nationwide

webfact

6 hours ago, mikebell said:

Thai teachers should learn to handle money.  They have a sense of entitlement way beyond the job they half do.  All the above plans usually boil down to writing off the debt which teaches them nothing so they repeat.

Maybe they just need a sensible salary.  They are woefully underpaid !!

2 minutes ago, NeoDinosaw said:

With high aspirations and sense of 'image'..... odd really, I am not sure many had such high opinions of the falang English teachers here. 

• Thanks 1

Surely teachers aren't the only sub-group of government employees leveraged beyond their means? 

I'm surprised all of these Cooperative Savings (cough) institutions are still "solvent".

Now if only teachers could use plastic bags in the classroom to generate "interest".

11 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Personally I think the debts of all Teachers and health workers should be written off once they have spent 10 years in a teacher or health role where their education has been - and is being - used. The wiping off of the debt would be well worth the donation to overall society 

Or better that govt and lenders introduce stricter controls and limits over what people can borrow.

People should live within their means.

Edited by userabcd

I have an idea.

Why don’t the teachers start collecting payment from students for them to pass their exams…???…… Like a kind of blackmail and for all students to pass, no matter their skills.

Ohh damn! They are already doing that… Well I am out of ideas then ????

Edited by khunpa

'Teachers in Thailand are eligible for special loans from the Government Savings Bank without a credit check. One loan program, called the teacher’s funeral fund, makes up to 3 million Baht (90,000 USD) available to any teacher, even if their salary is the minimum 15,000B per month.'

fireinthailand.com/thai-teachers-need-a-lesson-in-fire/

Banks should not be making loans like this, if it is true. Please tell me it is not true.

19 hours ago, NeoDinosaw said:

Not for what they do.  They are petty dictators in class; inflicting knowledge rather than imparting it. I did 39 years at the chalk-face in UK.  Thai teachers would not cope with the work load for two days.  Naturally I have taken a keen interest in Thai education matters; 'guest-starring' in a local school and overseeing a 'niece' who lived with us.  I despaired of checking English homeworks because of the teacher's mistakes.  A typical homework was 'cut & paste everything you can find on French Impressionists; print it out on your own printer.'  A week later the 25 page assignment was returned with a single letter grade (A-) not withstanding a totally fictitious painter invented by me which I had inserted, devoting three paragraphs to a certain Alphonse De Gaulle.

• Haha 1