Pattaya: New "B.L.U.E." future envisaged - forget entertainment the focus is business and leisure

webfact

Pattaya definitely won't look the same for quite a while, if ever.  Very reminiscent of Singapore's 2012 crackdown of ladies of the night lining the roads, none of that ever returned.  The Thai government appears to be attempting to stomp out the embers of the entertainment/sex industry by keeping it closed indefinitely with false hope.

10 hours ago, redwood1 said:

I don't see freelancing taking over bars EVER....

Well no, but it will always be there........ and at the moment the only game in town.

Edited by jacko45k

20 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

I forecast there will be a sudden surge of young Thai ladies 'looking for love' online once Pattaya opens.

I agree, and many of them are already on the apps.  I'm sure word of the benefits will spread throughout those working in the sex trade here when Pattaya does open up.  

For some returning to work in a bar, they may eventually end up getting more customers online than they do in the bar, so will become freelancers.  

Interesting times ahead, particularly as the first ones back will be experienced mongers, who are not known for paying bar fines and buying lady drinks.  

3 hours ago, Leaver said:

I agree, and many of them are already on the apps.  I'm sure word of the benefits will spread throughout those working in the sex trade here when Pattaya does open up.  

For some returning to work in a bar, they may eventually end up getting more customers online than they do in the bar, so will become freelancers.  

Interesting times ahead, particularly as the first ones back will be experienced mongers, who are not known for paying bar fines and buying lady drinks.  

For sure, I've never had an interest in running a bar but it would be even further down my list now. Long term prospects? Who knows? I'm not a big Pattaya fan but for a 'lads' night out, it takes some beating (or at least it used to) but if the 'business' switches online then the area could face a very uncertain future. The 'Neo Pattaya' that was being discussed last year and these latest proposals seem to disregard one thing - the area relies on tourists seeking entertainment, they don't go there for its natural beauty of which there is very little. Something's going to have to take up the slack - the crowds that flock to Walking Street for example, may not all be partaking - I'd guess the majority just go to look but they are crowds. What would be the purpose of cruising Walking Street if the current 'entertainment' goes?

However, infrastructure-wise, with the existing motorway and planned rail upgrades, its well placed in terms of transport but I wouldn't want to be guessing at what's next for Pattaya.  One thing's for sure, even before Covid, there were just too many bars. Nobody likes sitting around in an empty bar with no atmosphere - maybe a thinned down version of the existing will work?

Edited by KhaoYai

2 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

I'm not a big Pattaya fan but for a 'lads' night out, it takes some beating (or at least it used to) but if the 'business' switches online then the area could face a very uncertain future.

In my opinion, Pattaya will continue to be "The World's Brothel."  Bars, and bar girls, will remain. 

However, I see apps "digitally disrupting" the traditional bar business model of lady drinks and bar fines here, much the same way as Uber and AirBnb changed the industry for taxis and hotels.  

Pattaya will still offer a great lads night out, however, many will be ordering online and going out with the girls to party, thus no lady drinks and bar fines. 

Many have the narrow view that arranging to meet a girl online is only for 1 hour.  Whilst that may be true of some, many will go short time or long time.  It's really no different to meeting in a bar.    

A lot of girls were working off apps pre covid.  It's not like covid started the change. 

Interesting times ahead for the traditional Pattaya bar business model.

6 hours ago, Leaver said:

A lot of girls were working off apps pre covid.  It's not like covid started the change. 

That's very true but a lot more will be finding that its more lucrative in terms of effort vs income - especially the prettier ones who will also be realising that they can be choosy when operating on a self-employed basis.

9 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

For sure, I've never had an interest in running a bar but it would be even further down my list now. Long term prospects? Who knows? I'm not a big Pattaya fan but for a 'lads' night out, it takes some beating (or at least it used to) but if the 'business' switches online then the area could face a very uncertain future. The 'Neo Pattaya' that was being discussed last year and these latest proposals seem to disregard one thing - the area relies on tourists seeking entertainment, they don't go there for its natural beauty of which there is very little. Something's going to have to take up the slack - the crowds that flock to Walking Street for example, may not all be partaking - I'd guess the majority just go to look but they are crowds. What would be the purpose of cruising Walking Street if the current 'entertainment' goes?

However, infrastructure-wise, with the existing motorway and planned rail upgrades, its well placed in terms of transport but I wouldn't want to be guessing at what's next for Pattaya.  One thing's for sure, even before Covid, there were just too many bars. Nobody likes sitting around in an empty bar with no atmosphere - maybe a thinned down version of the existing will work?

Been too many bars in Pattaya for at least 20 years. Never stopped the party before, though this time around may indeed be different.

On 10/11/2021 at 6:20 AM, KhaoYai said:

That's very true but a lot more will be finding that its more lucrative in terms of effort vs income - especially the prettier ones who will also be realising that they can be choosy when operating on a self-employed basis.

I guess as the next generation of monger comes through, they are after something more than "Hello. What your name.  Where you come from.  One drink for me" in a tin roof beer bar. 

No longer do they have to bar hop, paying lady drinks along the way, just to find a girl they like to bar fine.  They can find girls on apps, even before they are in country.   

6 hours ago, Leaver said:

No longer do they have to bar hop, paying lady drinks along the way, just to find a girl they like to bar fine.  They can find girls on apps, even before they are in country.   

Was doing that 5 years ago.

11 hours ago, Leaver said:

I guess as the next generation of monger comes through, they are after something more than "Hello. What your name.  Where you come from.  One drink for me" in a tin roof beer bar. 

There used to be an hotel set up in Venezuela whereby a western guy could check out a selection of girls on a web site, book one and she would pick him up at the airport and take him to the hotel, stay with him for the duration and take him to airport at end. Prostitution is/ was legal there though, so can't set up same in LOS, but I imagine some could invent a package along similar lines in LOS.

13 minutes ago, Leaver said:

It became more popular in the lead up to covid,  I can only see it getting bigger when mongers return.  

If it does catch on, the bar scene is doomed as it was IMO. Why bother trawling around all the bars between Walking street and Naklua looking for the elusive "one" when one can find her on line before even getting on the plane.

I'd imagine the number of farangs that only want to play connect 4 and buy drinks for assorted women is limited.

• Like 1

On 10/13/2021 at 10:53 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

There used to be an hotel set up in Venezuela whereby a western guy could check out a selection of girls on a web site, book one and she would pick him up at the airport and take him to the hotel, stay with him for the duration and take him to airport at end. Prostitution is/ was legal there though, so can't set up same in LOS, but I imagine some could invent a package along similar lines in LOS.

The girls are already on websites arranging the "2 week girlfriend experience" with guys, for money.  Same Same, but he choses the hotel, and the money goes straight to the girl, and no lady drinks or bar fines for the duration of the 2 week holiday.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Leaver said:

The girls are already on websites arranging the "2 week girlfriend experience" with guys, for money.  Same Same, but he choses the hotel, and the money goes straight to the girl, and no lady drinks or bar fines for the duration of the 2 week holiday.  

I'd be up for that myself, if I were 20 years younger. Instead of having to go to Pattaya and spending a few days of my holiday looking for a good one, I could meet her at the airport and head straight to the islands.

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

If it does catch on, the bar scene is doomed as it was IMO. Why bother trawling around all the bars between Walking street and Naklua looking for the elusive "one" when one can find her on line before even getting on the plane.

I'd imagine the number of farangs that only want to play connect 4 and buy drinks for assorted women is limited.

In my opinion, the bar scene isn't doomed, but the bars that rely on the traditional lady drink / bar fine business model will struggle.  Thus, I can only see them raising their prices, which is the downward spriral.

How is a bar owner going to tell his Thai landlord that the sex trade that allowed him to chare high rent has been digitally disrupted, and the income from traditional means is no longer.

Interesting times ahead.  

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I'd be up for that myself, if I were 20 years younger. Instead of having to go to Pattaya and spending a few days of my holiday looking for a good one, I could meet her at the airport and head straight to the islands.

Doesn't just have to be for the whole 2 weeks, can just be for the night.  Afternoon drinks, dinner, live music, nightclub, hotel room. 

Same again tomorrow night, with a new one you had only started chatting to online at lunch time.  ????

The bars still sell alcohol to two people, just not at lady drink prices, and no bar fine revenue. 

As online gets bigger, I can't see how many bars here will be able to sustain so many salaried bar girls.  

On 10/12/2021 at 3:49 PM, Leaver said:

Did you ever think that bar hoping and having a play around with the girls is what some people enjoy?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HashBrownHarry said:

Did you ever think that bar hoping and having a play around with the girls is what some people enjoy?

Sure, but previously it was the only way to do it, now, there is the option to meet girls online and then go out with them for the night.

I have never suggested the traditional lady drink / bar fine business model will disappear, however, in my opinion, the use of apps will see the profits of businesses that rely on this traditional business model diminish in the future.  

7 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Sure, but previously it was the only way to do it, now, there is the option to meet girls online and then go out with them for the night.

I have never suggested the traditional lady drink / bar fine business model will disappear, however, in my opinion, the use of apps will see the profits of businesses that rely on this traditional business model diminish in the future.  

No, the beer bars will live on forever.

Personally i can't be arsed with the beer bars but it's good to see your product in the flesh rather than online.

58 minutes ago, HashBrownHarry said:

No, the beer bars will live on forever.

Personally i can't be arsed with the beer bars but it's good to see your product in the flesh rather than online.

I'm not saying they will die out, just that a segment of the industry moving online will have an impact on their profits.   

Many can't be arsed with lady drinks and bar fines, and I can only see those guys going online.   

• 4 weeks later...

Whatever they say is just noise until people are actually able to travel freely in large numbers.

The can't end the crisis because they accepted infections as a criteria for shutting down. The jabs don't stop people getting Covid and they don't stop them passing it on.

To get themselves out of this hole they would have to admit they made mistakes which cost people their savings, their businesses, and, in some cases, their lives. It is easier to keep the farce going and pray that other countries drop all measures so that they can declare victory and move on.

Edited by kellyk11
  • Like 1

On 10/9/2021 at 9:56 PM, Maha Sarakham said:

Pattaya definitely won't look the same for quite a while, if ever.  Very reminiscent of Singapore's 2012 crackdown of ladies of the night lining the roads, none of that ever returned.  The Thai government appears to be attempting to stomp out the embers of the entertainment/sex industry by keeping it closed indefinitely with false hope.

The Eastern Economic Corridor is coming and the plans don't have a sex-tourism destination smack-bang in the middle of it.