Thailand to scrap quarantine for vaccinated visitors from Nov 1

Jonathan Fairfield

23 minutes ago, shdmn said:

Restaurants are not closed.  As to the rest of it, yes I would.  Next question.

What's your point?

Good for you. Who cares what you do?

You and a few thousand people ain't going to save the Thai tourism industry.

40 million tourists in 2019 and 20% of GDP, to you and your chums riding to the rescue Q4 2021 and 0.00000000000001% of GDP.

No one even knows the final details. It's totally ambiguous. As usual, clear as mud.

If you want to be a performing seal and jump through all the hoops then do.

Who cares.

• Haha 2

37 minutes ago, pixelaoffy said:

I got through to the Thai Embassy in London and was told that 7 days is now the quarantine in Bangkok but at the moment hotel websites who are in the ASQ programme have not updated their sites to allow 7 days..  still having to pay for 14 days if wanted a letter of confirmation from it .... hmm 

The usual mess and confusion. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, zzaa09 said:

Yep. Probably changing/updating, here and there, as we speak. 

Was the same earlier this year from memory, "official" notice not until the last second but no issue, people just booked as it was and then got billed for 7 or 10 days depending on vax status (or reimbursed if they'd paid upfront).

Prices ready to go (unless drastic changes) on thaiest anyway, all they need to do is remove score through e.g.

https://thaiest.com/bookings/asq/le-meridien-bangkok

https://thaiest.com/bookings/asq/aloft-bangkok-sukhumvit-11

Still listed from earlier ... or setting up ready to go?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shdmn said:

Restaurants are not closed.  As to the rest of it, yes I would.  Next question.

You've obviously not been to one of the tourist areas lately, head to Phuket, Kata, Karon, Surin where you will see plenty of shuttered restaurants and shops. 

Pass by the long queues for food handouts today

Edited by Bkk Brian

3 hours ago, aussiexpat said:

This is from the Thai Embassy which makes it very clear the places will be opening on 1 Nov under a 'Sandbox' program

That is not the Thai Embassy. I don't know how they are allowed to use the name but read their site - they are a private company.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

That is not the Thai Embassy. I don't know how they are allowed to use the name but read their site - they are a private company.

Until it is in the royal gazette, everything is conjecture.

If i was a betting man, i would think this won't be far from the final details.

https://thepattayanews.com/2021/09/27/thai-government-announces-more-relaxation-of-covid-19-domestic-measures-emergency-decree-extension-and-plans-to-welcome-vaccinated-tourists/

If you decide to come with unvaccinated kids then even if you're vaccinated you'll have to quarantine for 10 days.............

The Thai Embassy in Sydney has just posted this graphic announcing that the quarantine period for fully vaccinated people has been reduced from 14 to 7 days. Note that unvaccinated children and their vaccinated parents will have to do ten days #Thailand

FAYQaOAVIAwR49t.jpg.a1d133705dbe1557eec1ec0199e5a36f.jpg

https://twitter.com/RichardBarrow/status/1442858779545006083

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, UTH001 said:

I am not arguing that number. But I know ONE PERSON personally who is a resident here and 'did' Phuket to avoid hotel quarantine in BKK. But like others have stated, I am pretty sure that the number of  REAL tourists (people who don't live here or have ties to Thai families) is miniscule.

Absolutely, and that has been the case since day one (or 1st July).   The only people who are here in Phuket under this scheme are those who seriously need to be back in Thailand, whether that is through family, friends, property holding etc.  Nobody is here for a 'holiday', there are other drivers in 100% of cases.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KhaoYai said:

Indeed. Thaiembassy.com is not a Royal Thai Embassy but a commercial organisation. The official page of the Royal Thai Embassy in London does not yet show any update to the 14 day quarantine or Phuket sandbox arrangement. However, having said that, the interesting graphic posted by Bkk Brian does have the Royal Thai Consulate-General Sydney seal on it  so is probably reliable.

17 minutes ago, DoctorB said:

The official page of the Royal Thai Embassy in London does not yet show any update to the 14 day quarantine or Phuket sandbox arrangement.

No but regarding the current restrictions, it does say:

Requirements for foreigners travelling to Thailand during COVID-19 travel restriction (until 30 September 2021) and Requirements for the Phuket Sandbox

I don't remember them mentioning 30 September 2021 before so something's afoot.

• Thanks 1

Have not read the full  11 pages of this news on ASEAN , but I did read another announcement on Pattaya news this morning that states that 7 day quarantine will still be necessary, so what am I misunderstanding here. ?I do réalisé that it has to be all fully published and questions of COE still open. Thanks.

28 minutes ago, geisha said:

Have not read the full  11 pages of this news on ASEAN , but I did read another announcement on Pattaya news this morning that states that 7 day quarantine will still be necessary, so what am I misunderstanding here. ?I do réalisé that it has to be all fully published and questions of COE still open. Thanks.

If they abolish COE id drink myself to a full day sleep.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, The Cipher said:

But when has anything about this pandemic been even remotely logical or proportionate.

Ever since "quarantine" began to be applied to people who aren't ill, I was confused. I know for example, that I can't transmit something I do not have. So a testing system (in retrospect) seems like a solution that might have avoided the panic of the pandemic and allowed world economies to function, instead of what we see. 

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, keysersoze276 said:

I didn't read it because I have read the same BS for most of this year. 

Normally I would agree with you - I've been reading the same announcements and also got bored stupid with the constant announcements that were countered the next day.  However, I think this is likely to be correct - the previous announcements were usually from the TAT or some other outer-governmental organisation and usually turned out to be proposals which the PM or CCSA ruled out shortly afterwards. This one has already received approval by the CCSA and Prayuth is now under pressure from his cronies to do something about the floundering economy

In any case, the matter was supposedly being decided by the cabinet on Tuesday so we should know sometime today.  The question on my mind is how long will these new measures last - hopefully longer than the last reduction in quarantine which I believe lasted all of 3 weeks.  Any rise in cases following the introduction of these changes will be blamed on foreign tourists.

8 hours ago, DoctorB said:

The official page of the Royal Thai Embassy in London does not yet show any update to the 14 day quarantine or Phuket sandbox arrangement.

Just a pointer - maybe I'm old but for some reason that I just don't get, throughout this Pandemic the Thai Embassy in London has posted news on its Facebook page well before it appears on its website.  If I was a tourist and knew nothing about Thailand, I'd be heading to the embassy's website for information - not their Facebook page. If I didn't know better, I'd never even have thought an embassy would have a Facebook page.  To me its just plain crazy but that's how it is.

13 hours ago, zzaa09 said:

Such activities have always been related to social extensions. Naturally familial and social folks. 

Regardless of said restrictions, doesn't keep them from socializing. 

True but consistent with the story this or some lady with some power or resources doesn't feel that way?  Everytime her old <deleted> goes out she must be fuming?  ????

12 hours ago, LivingNThailand said:

You didn’t read what I wrote.  That isn’t what I said.  This is why I hate writing on this forum.  
  I said something like, a senior officer or deputy pm’s wife doesn’t like alcohol and she’s controlling the alcohol situation. But it’s probably fake news.  The whole thing is fake and stupid news. Isn’t it.    Have a nice alcohol and woman free night.  You are an …….   Fine person.  Good night. 

You are free to do what you like but to be honest if you feel that way the great reason not to look or respond on the forum to do it there is something you need " humor "  if you can learn it it saves you a lot of time of " hating "  whether it is fake or not isn't the point I for myself responded with " humor " if you can see it then " you are an ...... Fine person. Good day and night????

On 9/27/2021 at 4:29 PM, aussiexpat said:

Not true, 37,477 up to yesterday 

Screenshot_20210927-192647_Samsung Internet.jpg

But are they REAL tourists?  Many people I know who live in Thailand semi-permanently and/or work overseas, are returning that way.  I don't have a figure and I'm pretty sure the authorities won't assist, but how many of the 37477 are actual TOURISTS?  Either way, nowhere near projected figures.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, thailand49 said:

You are free to do what you like but to be honest if you feel that way the great reason not to look or respond on the forum to do it there is something you need " humor "  if you can learn it it saves you a lot of time of " hating "  whether it is fake or not isn't the point I for myself responded with " humor " if you can see it then " you are an ...... Fine person. Good day and night????

Well, I guess you didn't understand what I was saying, and I was trying to be funny, but everyone has a different sense of humor, don't they?   But it doesn't matter anymore because I just read that the Phuket Governor just signed an order lifting the booze ban in Phuket (only) as of October 1.  So me and the mrs. will be enjoying a cold one legally for the first time in months.    Looking forward to that!  Everyone enjoy!  I hope you don't have to wait until the end of the Emergency Decree....which will be when? ????

Edited by LivingNThailand

13 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

They should have been banned and fines years ago for using these words and creating the false impression that they are part of the beaurocracy.