Thailand to scrap quarantine for vaccinated visitors from Nov 1

Jonathan Fairfield

1 hour ago, KhaoYai said:

See post above - still so cocksure?

We have the report about the scrapping of quarantine and the reduction in quarantine - one of which has now been confirmed.  There is also far more than one lonely news report on the other - again if you read through the thread you will find other posters have given details of the same story from several other sources. However, the scrapping of quarantine is as yet, unconfirmed,

Posting about something quoted in the OP is fully 'On Topic' thanks.

There is a concrete plan to reduce quarantine for vaccinated Individuals to 7 days, starting October 1. That is the subject of another topic here. 

There is a proposal to institute Sandboxes in Pattaya, Bangkok, and other areas on November 1. That is the subject of another topic here. 

This topic, however, is about a report that Thailand will scrap quarantines on November 1. There seems to be no confirmation that scrapping of quarantines is in discussion now. 

Edited by Danderman123
  • Like 2

Quarantine for 7 days for fully vaccinated people and 10 days for unvaccinated people doesn't make much difference between the two groups.

The only one that will make a difference is the scrapping of any quarantine for fully vaccinated people. So I guess the unvaccinated people will still have to go for 10 days quarantine after 1st Nov?

If there is another surge of infections in October, the plans might change again for November.

Edited by EricTh
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, EricTh said:

Quarantine for 7 days for fully vaccinated people and 10 days for unvaccinated people doesn't make much difference between the two groups.

I agree for tourists - therefore the changes to quarantine duration won't achieve their aim.  However, for me, its now possible (although not ideal) for me to visit. I can only take 2 weeks off work at any one time and I think there will be quite a lot of others who have Thai wives and/or family that may now feel its do-able. 

• Like 2

https://thepattayanews.com/2021/09/29/reader-talkback-what-do-you-think-about-the-current-plan-to-reopen-pattaya-to-foreign-vaccinated-tourists-in-november/

If this is correct, as i read it, it means that apart from having to book certain ASQ hotels, you will be free to roam Pattaya and Jomtein as you wish.

If the nightlife was open, it would certainly attract the winter snow birds.

It is reported on another thread that Thai embassies are using digital means to validate passports. No need to put in the post.

I won't be travelling this year but i will be honest and say i think thing's will begin to ease over the next 6 months.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

The Royal Thai Embassy London has confirmed the changes to the quarantine rules  and indeed, my wife's COE arrived this morning and under the required time it says 'No less than 10 days'. 

(She will be fully vaccinated when she arrives but 14 days won't have elapsed since her final dose so she won't qualify for the 7 day quarantine.)

Pleasingly, they seem to have returned to normal now and posted on their website first rather than Facebook.

https://london.thaiembassy.org/en/publicservice/requirements-for-foreigners-travelling-to-thailand-during-covid-19-tra?page=5d6636cd15e39c3bd00072dd&menu=5f4b6eb3f6ae4b236972c562

Perhaps is just Google Translate, but, when you translate the information, in thai, for thai citizens, it says that, after October 1st, fully vaccinated thais will need to self isolate for 7 days.

But, like I said, perhaps it's just Google Translate.

20 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

Well, that's a second source, maybe. 

Still no confirmation by any Thai sources.  Since Google is my friend, what I am seeing is instead of a formal quarantine, they are talking about a Sandbox quarantine, like Phuket. In other words, an area wide quarantine, not a room quarantine. 

This is my understanding. I've seen it referenced as 'Blue zones'. I've been describing it similar to you - a Phuket island zone within each of the 9 provinces on the mainland within Scope. You can move within these 'Blue zone' areas only for probably 7 days then be allowed to travel wider. No doubt app tracking / tests & SHA+ daily check-ins will be part of the package.

For Chiang Mai, there are 3 districts mentioned which include the Old City, Nimman area and a district out in the sticks. How this will be policed / risk managed etc I'm sure the devil will be in the detail.

5 minutes ago, Carrbhoy said:

This is my understanding. I've seen it referenced as 'Blue zones'. I've been describing it similar to you - a Phuket island zone within each of the 9 provinces on the mainland within Scope. You can move within these 'Blue zone' areas only for probably 7 days then be allowed to travel wider. No doubt app tracking / tests & SHA+ daily check-ins will be part of the package.

For Chiang Mai, there are 3 districts mentioned which include the Old City, Nimman area and a district out in the sticks. How this will be policed / risk managed etc I'm sure the devil will be in the detail.

In a report yesterday, for Chiang Mai one of the 3 areas mentioned was 'Muang Chiang Mai' which is much wider than the old city. 

4 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Quite. One of the problems on here is the proposals tend to become public a few days before they get cabinet approval but there are those that want to believe they have already been implemented.

Cabinet approval was on Tuesday of this week and it has now appeared in the royal gazette too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/29/2021 at 7:56 AM, VBF said:

Well I haven't tried (and not likely to for a while) but are you sure about that?

If I applied, say, to the London Embassy for a a CoE, with documents from a UK insurer showing the proof, would that not suffice?  And if not, do they expect you to get insurance (online) from an unknown Thai company just to grant the CoE?

If the latter is true, it adds another level of stupidity to this bizarre situation! 

Not arguing for the sake of it @LongTimeLurker just questioning the detail 

You shouldn't listen to the garbage. I got my COE last night and it was done with insurance from the airline.

I got rejected initially for being double vaccinated but approved a few minutes later when I resubmitted as unvaccinated.

That is what I would call bizarre.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, treetops said:

Cabinet approval was on Tuesday of this week and it has now appeared in the royal gazette too.

Why do you think you need to tell me that, I have been sitting waiting on COE approval for 2 weeks.

My wife told me last Sunday the quarantine had been reduced and couldn't understand the holdup.

• Confused 1

On 9/28/2021 at 11:32 AM, pagallim said:

I disagree.   I would say no more than 60 (no, maybe 6 if somebody was paying their fare) were 'holiday makers'.

I think we need to get real on the Thai definition of 'Tourist'.   I've lived here for 14 years, Thai wife, we have property, etc etc, but I'm still a 'tourist'.   All (99%) of the people who have arrived during the sandbox have specific reasons for doing so, and they don't extend to lying on a beach, sipping Pina Coladas.   Family, friend, business, but definitely not 'holiday'.

You forgot the word "virgin" before Pina! 

On 9/29/2021 at 8:16 AM, Danderman123 said:

The latter is the process used by thousands to actually come to Thailand.

Most, if not many, UK insurers don’t cover illness in Thailand.

On 9/29/2021 at 12:19 PM, VBF said:

I disagree with your last sentence - my Travel Insurance (Nationwide) is world-wide and includes Covid cover.

It is for TOURISTS though - maximum trip length from UK 60 days + extra endorsements.

From the Thai Embassy site:

For COVID-19 insurance, applicants can buy UK/Irish or Thai insurance. For the list of companies that offer COVID-19 insurance, please see https://covid19.tgia.org/

Now my company is not on the list but it isn't exhaustive. As far as I'm concerned, either the Embassy will accept it or I'll take my money elsewhere - there comes a point when one ceases to buckle under to non-sensible demands!

Having said that, the way  things are moving I see it changing soon anyway

Usually there is no difficulty at all in getting travel insurance with full health cover for Thailand from a UK company, but not while it is on the red list or travelling contrary to Foreign Office advice, as at present. The Embassy site makes it clear you can buy UK or Irish cover and offers the link to the Thai companies as an alternative. However what about this little wrinkle, from the Certificate of Entry (COE) Registration Guideline for Non-Thai Nationals, link https://coethailand.mfa.go.th/images/ENCOERegistrationGuideFinal04112020.pdf

"After COE issuance, please ensure that you have the following documents to present at the check-in counter and to the Department of Disease Control’s Representatives upon arrival into Thailand....................

(4) (For the Department of Disease Control upon arrival into Thailand only) Medical insurance or letter from employer guaranteeing that the insurance company or employer will cover a minimum of 100,000 USD of medical costs incurred by the applicant in Thailand, including medical costs in the event that applicant contracts COVID-19 (The insurance must cover the total duration of stay in Thailand)

DOCUMENT NEEDS TO BE QUOTED IN US DOLLARS. OTHER CURRENCIES WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED BY
THE DEPARTMENT OF DISEASE CONTROL."

Apart from the fact there is a numbering error in the full text (omitted here) the implication would appear to be that unless you can persuade your insurer to add a codicil to the insurance certificate, translating the benefits from Pounds to Dollars you will be turned back at Bkk. Does anyone have any experience as to whether this is enforced? In practice it's probably just easier, and cheaper, to buy the Thai insurance.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, DoctorB said:

Usually there is no difficulty at all in getting travel insurance with full health cover for Thailand from a UK company, but not while it is on the red list or travelling contrary to Foreign Office advice, as at present. The Embassy site makes it clear you can buy UK or Irish cover and offers the link to the Thai companies as an alternative. However what about this little wrinkle, from the Certificate of Entry (COE) Registration Guideline for Non-Thai Nationals, link https://coethailand.mfa.go.th/images/ENCOERegistrationGuideFinal04112020.pdf

"After COE issuance, please ensure that you have the following documents to present at the check-in counter and to the Department of Disease Control’s Representatives upon arrival into Thailand....................

(4) (For the Department of Disease Control upon arrival into Thailand only) Medical insurance or letter from employer guaranteeing that the insurance company or employer will cover a minimum of 100,000 USD of medical costs incurred by the applicant in Thailand, including medical costs in the event that applicant contracts COVID-19 (The insurance must cover the total duration of stay in Thailand)

DOCUMENT NEEDS TO BE QUOTED IN US DOLLARS. OTHER CURRENCIES WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED BY

Apart from the fact there is a numbering error in the full text (omitted here) the implication would appear to be that unless you can persuade your insurer to add a codicil to the insurance certificate, translating the benefits from Pounds to Dollars you will be turned back at Bkk. Does anyone have any experience as to whether this is enforced? In practice it's probably just easier, and cheaper, to buy the Thai insurance.

I agree about the Red list restriction - it's basically the UK Govt telling you not to go to a country on the list and insurance companies usually mandate that such places are not covered unless you have already started your journey. So, while Thailand is on the Red List it's a no-no. (That was how I got back to UK for free in March 2020 - UK Govt told Brits to get home ASAP - I bought a new flight and claimed it!)

However, this issue of the "DOCUMENT NEEDS TO BE QUOTED IN US DOLLARS" is a nasty one -  WELL DONE FOR SPOTTING IT!! ???? So I echo your question.......

Does anyone have any experience as to whether this is enforced?

I shall not be buying the worthless Thai Insurance regardless - as I said elsewhere, there comes a point where Thailand just isn't that important - "other countries are available"  ????

• Like 1

As a reminder, the news story by Reuters announcing this scrapping of quarantine on November 1 has not been independently supported by Thai news outlets.

we did get a couple of people who posted links to the Reuters story as evidence of confirmation of the Reuters story. Yeah, I don’t get that, either.

As of now, it appears the Thai authorities want to institute Sandboxes in major tourist areas on November 1. Quarantine will not be scrapped.

note to posters here: comments about the unreliability of Thai authorities are not useful in this topic. 

Edited by Danderman123
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, DoctorB said:

re Nationwide...My insurance with them ( albiet out of date due to..etc) is for up to 185 days/trip.Since I tend go back to UK every 6 months or so that suited me. Been assured that they will re new on return....must start in Blighty...hopefully Dec/Jan/..for the next 12 months.

The Pattaya style tourism is dead, for ever. Predicated on intimacy and uninhibited close up communications in sealed indoor environments such behavior patterns are still Ill advised and most are not comfortable with such behavior.  Covid-19 has not gone away, won't go away and close physical intimacy with strangers will be a thing of the past. People won't risk it. Families from China is the Thai Tourist future.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1