Thailand to scrap quarantine for vaccinated visitors from Nov 1

Jonathan Fairfield

On 9/27/2021 at 7:01 PM, Lucky Bones said:

And what happens to my 8 year old step-grandson?

Mom and Dad both too busy making a baht all day. TIT.

Does he repeat this year or move ahead a year at school?

No, Nice try. Don't give me home schooling rubbish. It does not happen living mostly with great grandma/grandpa in the country provinces.

Can't you look after him if you're so concerned?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Yes, they will either open immediately after it, or apparently one week before.

They need to all (Students and teachers and admin and chefs and cleaners....) be vaccinated by school opening. If it takes 2 weeks to recuperate at home and let the vaccine make anti-bodies. all the better I say. Turning up to school the day after your vaccine dose isn't going to give you any worthwhile protection.

On 9/27/2021 at 7:02 PM, VBF said:

For genuine tourists, as long as your regular travel insurance covers Covid (mine does) then that's just not a problem.

I've little doubt that airlines will accept that if you show it with your booking - rather like you show your visa when you check in

As you say, the issues are the other nonsense like the CoE, and the "what-if" you test positive in Thailand.

And, of course, what happens when you return to your own country?  Thailand might relax rules but if it's on your home country's "red list" there are still unlikely to be many tourists.

But you forget that to obtain the CoE from a Thai Embassy you must show THEM proof of Covid insurance from a Thai insurance company.

So you won't even make it to the taxi to the airport without it. (as it stands at present)

• Like 1

On 9/28/2021 at 6:59 AM, bkk6060 said:

It will come back much quicker then many think.

There is tremendous pent up demand of millions in the world who want to travel.

Thailand will get many lower and mid-level tourists back who are looking for a less expensive alternative.

Millions of male tourists wanting to come.

I disagree about the shops, etc. they can reopen most of these places in a couple of weeks.

Roll up the metal doors on areas like Nana or Soi 6 for example,  get the word out I bet in a week the places will be up and running.

After all, it's not like Thailand doesn't have a low season for tourists, any start-up may just be low season figures.

23 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

But you forget that to obtain the CoE from a Thai Embassy you must show THEM proof of Covid insurance from a Thai insurance company.

So you won't even make it to the taxi to the airport without it. (as it stands at present)

Well I haven't tried (and not likely to for a while) but are you sure about that?

If I applied, say, to the London Embassy for a a CoE, with documents from a UK insurer showing the proof, would that not suffice?  And if not, do they expect you to get insurance (online) from an unknown Thai company just to grant the CoE?

If the latter is true, it adds another level of stupidity to this bizarre situation! 

Not arguing for the sake of it @LongTimeLurker just questioning the detail 

19 minutes ago, VBF said:

Well I haven't tried (and not likely to for a while) but are you sure about that?

If I applied, say, to the London Embassy for a a CoE, with documents from a UK insurer showing the proof, would that not suffice?  And if not, do they expect you to get insurance (online) from an unknown Thai company just to grant the CoE?

If the latter is true, it adds another level of stupidity to this bizarre situation! 

Not arguing for the sake of it @LongTimeLurker just questioning the detail 

The latter is the process used by thousands to actually come to Thailand.

Most, if not many, UK insurers don’t cover illness in Thailand.

52 minutes ago, rbkk said:

They need to all (Students and teachers and admin and chefs and cleaners....) be vaccinated by school opening. If it takes 2 weeks to recuperate at home and let the vaccine make anti-bodies. all the better I say. Turning up to school the day after your vaccine dose isn't going to give you any worthwhile protection.

They will open with unvaccinated students.

47 minutes ago, VBF said:

If I applied, say, to the London Embassy for a a CoE, with documents from a UK insurer showing the proof, would that not suffice?

All you need is to be covered, if your home insurance states it covers you for Covid at a minimum of US$100k you will get a COE.

Edited by Salerno
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

So you're saying that when you buy a travel insurance in UK which covers medical requirements it excludes Thailand as a country of cover?

Or even if you specifically get medical insurance for travel?

Some will not cover Thailand, some will.

Therefore, the COE process is used to determine whether your insurance will cover you in Thailand. The airlines are certainly not equipped to do that.

4 minutes ago, Salerno said:

All you need is to be covered, if your home insurance states it covers you for minimum US$100k you will get a COE.

I have a travel Insurance policy ( at the moment out of date due to etc)from UK..with Cover of 10 Million Pounds .Will re-new when I get back and see if C o E requirements accept...also include my in town Roojai cert....?

4 hours ago, LivingNThailand said:

Well, I guess you didn't understand what I was saying, and I was trying to be funny, but everyone has a different sense of humor, don't they?   But it doesn't matter anymore because I just read that the Phuket Governor just signed an order lifting the booze ban in Phuket (only) as of October 1.  So me and the mrs. will be enjoying a cold one legally for the first time in months.    Looking forward to that!  Everyone enjoy!  I hope you don't have to wait until the end of the Emergency Decree....which will be when? ????

Personally like you say to each his own, personally I don't get or see it but from reading, seeing it first hand living here in Thailand to some it is a matter of life and death?  My standard how I grew up and I'm no choir boy by any means been there done more time than I care in a small room locked up before something click and I got it.

When it comes to drinking I've done my share when I was young but never could understand the need sure I enjoy a cold one with my son once in a while but here in Thailand living with Thais only there are times I think there is a problem when they party until they drop even with this pandemic I don't think real Thais even miss a beat. I see the real poor they work hard given a opportunity I guess when it arises like to relax and vent. I'm currently sitting and writing this since we had to drive up from Pattaya to attend her older brother funeral who got a blood clot within a few hours after receiving he AZ, it took us a few hours longer due to the flooding and the roads. After 6 plus days 24/7 of music, praying, monk chanting coming and going in the mud I myself like everyone got myself a Cold Leo, with a bucket of age. But I can tell you even with the floods there isn't anyone stopping you from obtaining any liquor or beer they just pick up and phone and it is delivered even in deep water!  Out of six days being polite I enjoy a few cold glasses of Hong Thong Whiskey with the male elders and call it a night at 8pm usually bed time for locals here seem to be 6 pm.

For the locals it doesn't take a Governor signature enjoy one on me?????  Talking to the locals I might be the only one vaccinated?

The Royal Thai Embassy London has confirmed the changes to the quarantine rules  and indeed, my wife's COE arrived this morning and under the required time it says 'No less than 10 days'. 

(She will be fully vaccinated when she arrives but 14 days won't have elapsed since her final dose so she won't qualify for the 7 day quarantine.)

Pleasingly, they seem to have returned to normal now and posted on their website first rather than Facebook.

https://london.thaiembassy.org/en/publicservice/requirements-for-foreigners-travelling-to-thailand-during-covid-19-tra?page=5d6636cd15e39c3bd00072dd&menu=5f4b6eb3f6ae4b236972c562

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

Nope. This one won’t change, because there is no confirmation of this report that quarantine will be eliminated on November 1.

See the thread

"Breaking News 27 Oct 2021 

Starts... BANGKOK (Reuters - Thailand will waive its mandatory quarantine requirements in Bangkok and nine provinces from Nov 1. ............."

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

The confusion reigns!!!

This is for Thai citizens travelling on a Thai passport.

According to my wife, the RTE London has now added to the confusion over pre-departure PCR testing.  Yesterday their website said the recommend passengers are tested - today they still say its recommended but now they also say that immigration may require a negative PCR on arrival!!!

Other embassies still just recommend PCR testing.

This is one thing I will never understand about Thailand and it spreads into many spheres of life - the government issues a set of rules but individual offices interpret those rules however they see fit. Maybe the government's rules are unclear, I don't know but its bloody ridiculous.

Don't forget, even when the dust settles, their are 76 provinces that all have their own governor.

Their likely to overreact at any minute and enforce restrictions.

Hope you get back safely.

3 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

The latter is the process used by thousands to actually come to Thailand.

Most, if not many, UK insurers don’t cover illness in Thailand.

I disagree with your last sentence - my Travel Insurance (Nationwide) is world-wide and includes Covid cover.

It is for TOURISTS though - maximum trip length from UK 60 days + extra endorsements.

From the Thai Embassy site:

For COVID-19 insurance, applicants can buy UK/Irish or Thai insurance. For the list of companies that offer COVID-19 insurance, please see https://covid19.tgia.org/

Now my company is not on the list but it isn't exhaustive. As far as I'm concerned, either the Embassy will accept it or I'll take my money elsewhere - there comes a point when one ceases to buckle under to non-sensible demands!

Having said that, the way  things are moving I see it changing soon anyway

1 hour ago, scorecard said:

See the thread

"Breaking News 27 Oct 2021 

Starts... BANGKOK (Reuters - Thailand will waive its mandatory quarantine requirements in Bangkok and nine provinces from Nov 1. ............."

You have linked to the same news article as in the OP. 

Still no confirmation of the Reuters story. 

2 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

The Royal Thai Embassy London has confirmed the changes to the quarantine rules  and indeed, my wife's COE arrived this morning and under the required time it says 'No less than 10 days'. 

(She will be fully vaccinated when she arrives but 14 days won't have elapsed since her final dose so she won't qualify for the 7 day quarantine.)

Pleasingly, they seem to have returned to normal now and posted on their website first rather than Facebook.

https://london.thaiembassy.org/en/publicservice/requirements-for-foreigners-travelling-to-thailand-during-covid-19-tra?page=5d6636cd15e39c3bd00072dd&menu=5f4b6eb3f6ae4b236972c562

2 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

The headline of this topic is "Thailand to scrap quarantine for vaccinated visitors from Nov 1".  You are posting information about reduced quarantine starting on October 1.

Do you have any information that quarantine will be scrapped on November 1?

Edited by Danderman123
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

The headline of this topic is "Thailand to scrap quarantine for vaccinated visitors from Nov 1".  You are posting information about reduced quarantine starting on October 1.

The 2 items are intertwined, given that the changes were announced together.

• Confused 1

16 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

You have linked to the same news article as in the OP. 

Still no confirmation of the Reuters story. 

Is Bloomberg good enough for you?

"...will remove any isolation period for such travelers in 10 key provinces including Bangkok in November to help revive its tourism-dependent economy"

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-09-27/thailand-cuts-quarantine-to-7-days-ahead-of-november-reopening

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, aussiexpat said:

Is Bloomberg good enough for you?

"...will remove any isolation period for such travelers in 10 key provinces including Bangkok in November to help revive its tourism-dependent economy"

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-09-27/thailand-cuts-quarantine-to-7-days-ahead-of-november-reopening

Well, that's a second source, maybe. 

Still no confirmation by any Thai sources.  Since Google is my friend, what I am seeing is instead of a formal quarantine, they are talking about a Sandbox quarantine, like Phuket. In other words, an area wide quarantine, not a room quarantine. 

Edited by Danderman123

2 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

Perhaps you should read the whole OP before trying to trip people up.

Maybe you missed this?

On 9/27/2021 at 9:39 AM, Jonathan Fairfield said:

Authorities will also reduce the quarantine time nationwide for visitors arriving from Oct. 1, the COVID-19 task force said, halving it to seven days for vaccinated arrivals, and cutting it to 10 days for those not inoculated.