OP-ED: England’s unfriendly travel regulations

snoop1130

18 minutes ago, meechai said:

555 As opposed to Thailand?

Thailand  accepts no vaccinated tourists from anywhere without quarantine!

Talk about pot kettle black 555

Yes exactly.

Tried to explain this to someone who responded to me earlier on this issue.

I think some posters first language isn't english or their just not the brightest.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Neilly said:

I think I read somewhere that it had something to do with the lack of clarity of Thailand's figures ????...surely not ????

Thailand being placed on the UK Red List certainly had a lot to do with the lack of testing in the Country, specially for any new Variants Etc

Irresponsible behavior is never rewarded.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, tomacht8 said:

Do you have a source for your claim that there are other ingredients used?

According to the AZ statement:

Q: Can I travel with COVID-19 Vaccine AstraZeneca that has been manufactured in Thailand?

A: COVID-19 Vaccine AstraZeneca that is made in Thailand is of the same quality as AstraZeneca's vaccine made in Europe, Korea, Japan, Australia, and elsewhere

https://www.astrazeneca.com/country-sites/thailand/press-release/travelling-with-covid-19-vaccine-astrazeneca-made-in-thailand.html

Yep tomachat. More BS quality made up stuff. Either made up in this single persons head right then and there and written down, or collected from some random unproven, unidentified, vague, cowboy website, or post somewhere, sometime, by some anonymous, unqualified irresponsible person or persons then transmitted by said irresponsible and malicious individual. To say that a pharmacological production entity, bound by anally-retentive quality control systems would take a highly complex and strictly measured recipe and simple change some of the ingredients is utterly proposterous, ridiculous to the enth degree, and totally irresponsible. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Exploring Thailand said:

The government needs to say why it is discriminating against these countries. We should not have to guess the reason.  We don't elect governments to make far-reaching decisions like this without explaining the reasoning.

The governments of the countries which are being discriminated against also need to be informed of the reason for the decision. 

The reason has been stated and made public 

Makes you think that vaccines are just a political thing with a political agenda???? I would have thought that being fully vaccinated with Pfizer for instance is fully vaccinated, if they want to make sure your not carrying the virus surely a Covid test within 72 hours of departure and within 48 hours following arrival should satisfy  any scientific requirements or are we not bothered about science anymore? Come in Boris, show us your cards????

1 hour ago, Cake Monster said:

Thailand being placed on the UK Red List certainly had a lot to do with the lack of testing in the Country, specially for any new Variants Etc

Irresponsible behavior is never rewarded.

Really the prerogative of UK to place any countries in their color listing. Not sure about irresponsible behavior being the criteria. Take for instance, Malaysia had more infections and deaths and yet placed under amber. Surely irresponsible behavior resulted in Malaysia higher numbers than Thailand but yet Malaysia is amber. In any case, Thailand don’t seem to be much bother with no outcry from the foreign ministry. I am sure UK will relax the traveler requirement when better sense prevailed. 

17 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

It seems unbelievable that England has put in place a discriminatory policy that refuses to accept COVID-19 jabs given in countries in Latin American, Africa and South and Southeast Asia. The government of Prime Minister Boris Johnson is showing its dark side by recognising only shots given in a select group of countries. 

It seems a little strange to be publishing this oped just now, when it was already announced a week ago that the UK policy on accepting vaccinations is literally about to change in just a few days.

As from October 4, the UK will accept vaccinations from these countries, from all around the world:

Andorra

Antigua and Barbuda

Australia

Austria

Bahrain

Barbados

Belgium

Brunei

Bulgaria

Canada

Croatia

Republic of Cyprus

Czech Republic

Denmark

Dominica

Estonia

Finland

France

Germany

Greece

Hungary

Iceland

Ireland

Italy

Israel

Japan

Kuwait

Latvia

Liechtenstein

Lithuania

Luxembourg

Malaysia

Malta

Monaco

Netherlands

New Zealand

Norway

Poland

Portugal

Qatar

Romania

San Marino

Saudi Arabia

Singapore

Slovakia

Slovenia

South Korea

Spain

Sweden

Switzerland

Taiwan

The UAE

The UK

The US

Vatican City

Which countries' vaccines are recognised in the UK?

It's worth noting that according to the same article, only certain vaccines are acceptable, as follows:

Pfizer BioNTech, Oxford AstraZeneca, Moderna and Janssen (J&J).

Edited by GroveHillWanderer

16 minutes ago, Ty Hareways said:

Yes i think you've hit the nail on the head.

Karma always comes back to haunt people who BS.

We can safely say that all covid data are a mess not just in Thailand. Nevertheless the available data is still useful to understand the needs and target the interventions. 

4 hours ago, Rinrada said:

When is the Next UK government travel announcement?

Hope this is true...Following the update on Friday, September 17 that set out a wholesale update to the UK system by scrapping the traffic-light system, the next Update is expected to be around October 7 or 8.

The Transport secretary told the Transport Select Committee on September 22 that the travel-list reviews would keep to the same Three-weekly timetable as before.....

What is the likelihood of the U.K putting Thailand on Amber ?

1 hour ago, Eric Loh said:

Really the prerogative of UK to place any countries in their color listing. Not sure about irresponsible behavior being the criteria. Take for instance, Malaysia had more infections and deaths and yet placed under amber. Surely irresponsible behavior resulted in Malaysia higher numbers than Thailand but yet Malaysia is amber. In any case, Thailand don’t seem to be much bother with no outcry from the foreign ministry. I am sure UK will relax the traveler requirement when better sense prevailed. 

UK doesn't think Thailand is doing enough genome sequencing of the virus.

UK does 1 million plus tests a day.

Thailand does about 40,000 and a BOGOF at the local 7-11.

To be fair, at least you are constant in your ability to ignore or misinterpret the facts.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Exploring Thailand said:

What is the reason?

The UK doesn't believe Thailand is doing enough genome sequencing.

Who cares, Thailand isn't let UK citizens in without quarantine.

I would guarantee that the UK will allow Thai's quarantine free entry before Thailand allows Brits.

That, of course, won't be acknowledged by the usual suspects.

17 minutes ago, Cherrytreeview said:

UK doesn't think Thailand is doing enough genome sequencing of the virus.

UK does 1 million plus tests a day.

Thailand does about 40,000 and a BOGOF at the local 7-11.

To be fair, at least you are constant in your ability to ignore or misinterpret the facts.

Are you making this up. Perhaps providing a link that state that UK’s color listing is based on genome sequencing of the virus will prove your ability to not make things up or making conspiratory claim. 

• Sad 1

18 hours ago, cyril sneer said:

it's a disgrace when you see certain countries taken off the red list in comparison to Thailand

mostly for political reasons rather than numbers

Exactly. It's political post colonial discrimination. And disgraceful.So said Bloomberg

The UK has aligned itself with the US in the trade/influence war against China. I think you will find that some of the countries where the UK does not recognise vaccination are considered to have undue dependence on China, which includes Thailand. Thailand used to consider the UK a friend giving a special visa for retired people receiving state pension to enter Thailand on a 3 month extendable visa (No other savings or income requirements) which has now been withdrawn...

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, mark131v said:

I am afraid that's what happens when you are proven liars and shysters

I believe some of the neighbours refer to the kingdom as Lieland and that tells you all you need to know about why nations are sceptical of the numbers and vaccination data 

In the immortal words of Nelson Muntz...

Image result for GIF Nelson muntz. Size: 126 x 110. Source: gifimage.net

In singapore, the phrase is "dont thai to me"

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

That’s what they say among other reasons

Thailand and Montenegro will be added to the red list from 4am on Monday 30 August 2021, reflecting the increased case rates in these countries and the higher risk that travel from these countries poses to UK public health. The high rates combined with lower levels of published genomic surveillance in Thailand and Montenegro than other countries mean that an outbreak of a new variant or existing variants of concern (VOC) or variants under investigation (VUI) cannot be easily identified before it is imported and seeded across the UK.

Thanks for the clarification on genomic surveillance. That's quite different from covid testing as alleged. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Neilly said:

I think I read somewhere that it had something to do with the lack of clarity of Thailand's figures ????...surely not ????

There is a certain irony here.  Put simply, the British government don't believe the figures and authenticity of the information given by the Thai Government.  The irony bit is that in the UK, nobody believes a word that Johnson and the current government say either!

Pot, Kettle and Black come to mind here!

• Like 2