Thailand's 'draconian' alcohol laws in the spotlight

webfact

13 minutes ago, DoctorB said:

These are fascinating retrospective justifications. The second one about the monks I have never heard before and is truly original. But I followed the whole saga at the time, along with Purachai's efforts to get the night entertainment industry closed well before midnight, and certainly recall the school argument being used. After all, you can't have a decent moral panic without dragging kids into it.

I followed the story as it happened as my friend was a bar owner and this was back when bars opened all night (ten years or so ago) and there were Temples in close proximity and the Temples were complaining that the noise all night distracted the Monks and kept them awake . 

New rules were bought in stating that no alcohol could be sold within 100 meters of a Temple , then they began enforcing the 12 AM bars closures , and the Temples seemed content with that and the 100 meter law was not enforced . 

1 hour ago, NE1 said:

Well why was it put in place ?

To reduce the number of drunk drivers on the road when children were getting out of school.   The same for banning alcohol sales at gas stations.   The key word was reducing.   No doubt hard core drinkers would still do it.    I was just a casual but regular DUI vehicle operator that found the laws inconvenient so I pretty much stopped. 

48 minutes ago, DoctorB said:

These are fascinating retrospective justifications. The second one about the monks I have never heard before and is truly original. But I followed the whole saga at the time, along with Purachai's efforts to get the night entertainment industry closed well before midnight, and certainly recall the school argument being used. After all, you can't have a decent moral panic without dragging kids into it.

Have you ever seen any schools kids buying alcohol after 5 PM ?

I have never seen that before , which suggests there isnt a problem with school kids buying alcohol and they would be in school at 2 PM anyway 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Thinking you don't go to bars much. 

"Highest risk places"?....say what!

Thinking that you don't go to shopping malls, big C supermarkets, 7/11,s 

You name it. 

Oh I forgot...it's because bars serve alcohol. Didn't think of that.

In the not too distant past it was quiet acceptable to order up a "tower"  or 3 at 1.59 PM and sit around a table in Big Cs food court with your friends until 5 PM...hic.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Canada (70's) was similar. If your girlfriend was 19, depending on province you could sleep with her and both drink. Cross the line she couldn't drink but you could sleep with her. Cross another line you couldn't sleep with her but she could have a beer.

Confusing much.

And then there's the donkey, but that's a whole different crossed line ????

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, James105 said:

outdoor bars and restaurants have never been high risk and never will be.   

Restaurants perhaps, but I think even outdoor drinking could be high-risk given how close people get to each other.

11 minutes ago, James105 said:

If they were that concerned about covid spreading then they would have closed the places where covid actually spreads in high numbers.

I think they have done intermittently.  Probably reluctant to keep certain places closed due to people needing to eat.  I would assume they see places like bars as purely recreational, so the risk/reward is not favorable.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

All roads lead to Pu Ket... Phuket officially allows drinking and selling alcohol in restaurants, effective October 1sthttps://thepattayanews.com/2021/09/29/phuket-officially-allows-drinking-and-selling-alcohol-in-restaurants-effective-october-1st/

Edited by Rinrada
peint
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Teenagers are not allowed to buy alcohol , having a law stopping them from buying alcohol at certain times would be pointless , because theres already laws stopping them from buy alcohol at any time of the day 

Not pointless it was more effective then the law that did not allow them to buy because of their age.

I think a lot of people don't understand the rationale behind it. Now the big shops can't sell alcohol to kids at those times. Only ones who can are small mom and pop shops. So it works. Before kids could buy in the big shops as nobody checked.

It was too hard to enforce them to check ID and not let kids buy, this is easier to enforce so it works better.

The question is is this a valid reason. Does anyone know a cost effective way of checking it an other way.

These time bans of alcohol are easily retrospectively checked because tills have a time and date. So a few people can enforce a ban instead of huge amounts of cops. Also shops know they cant get away with it as these things are registered for a long time.

So it certainly worked, question is is it justified. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

Thinking you don't go to bars much. 

"Highest risk places"?....say what!

Thinking that you don't go to shopping malls, big C supermarkets, 7/11,s 

You name it. 

Oh I forgot...it's because bars serve alcohol. Didn't think of that.

I guess your the one that does not go to bars and supermarkets. I don't go often anymore but i recall having girls on my lap and people bending over close to each other and in general speaking louder and closer to others. I also don't see people act like tipsy drunk people do in bars. The only time 711's and supermarkets are a problem is when checking out. But they keep you now at a certain distance. 

And yes bars serve alcohol are NOT needed food from shopping malls is needed. (Ok some expats think its a human right / first life need but that is just in their mind). 

I think its so hard for the bar crowd to accept as drinking and the ladies are what keeps them happy. I get it loads of my friends are complaining about the gyms not being open too. If something is closed what you really want then you get annoyed. 

Just for the record, the super spreader events were in Bars and sport stadiums. Havent heard of such an event in supermarkets at all. Also don't forget how much time do you spend in a supermarket (i rush through them but i dont live far from them if you go once in two weeks or a week it is different)

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

That's a joke right?

Yep when I go to Stumble Inn, Soi 4 for a quiet one and watch the world go by its all good till they give me a pint and at some point i take my clothes off and start trying to hump bar stool.

Give me a break.

You’ve gone full straw man with your stripping and bar stool humping example, I can’t say I have ever seen anything like that but it seems reasonable of the other poster to suggest that when people are drunk, a reasonable proportion can over-relax and behave differently which might not be helpful during a pandemic. 

Thailand is far from alone in placing restrictions on a range of social and drinking places such as pubs, bars and nightclubs, not sure what your fuss is about ?

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

After he and Purachai brought in the 2am closing which I think happened in 2001 iirc. 

Then there were the continuing raids on non-Police owned venues throughout the country in particular Bangkok, where venues deemed immoral were arbitrarily shut down. They had the pee-test bus rock up and test all the ladies, occasionally if they didn't like the look of you they may make a foreigner take a test too. 

Things certainly changed for the worse under Thaksin from the glory 'anything goes' days of the 90's and before. 

Wow just fell of my chair, did not expect you to say anything negative about Thaksin. Seems you finally start to understand that they are all similar. If it was up to me places should be open again after 2am (ok not in residential areas). I wont visit and certainly not after 2am but if people like it why not.(as long as some zoning is there)

I am also for legalizing the flesh trade or at least make sure that the woman have some more rights and not looked down on.

But to be honest on both sides there is no real incentive to do this they want to act like they are so virtues while im sure behind the screens they are as bad if not worse as the rest of us. Bunch of hypocrites. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Nice smoke screen.

I will pick one random city.

Udon Thani. Has bar area called Day Night. Those bars were dead prior to covid.

There was separate set of bars known as Nutty Park. 

Almost finished/closed pre covid.

The bars in Day Night have few regulars each. 

I like Zan Zee bar. Often only 3-4 people there. This was pre covid.

Seems to me that you have very little idea of farang bars in Thailand. 

I think you should pic your spots better, to expect that expat bars survive in those locations is a bit crazy.

Its a fact that less and less expats are around and they spend less. 

I think you should look at other more touristic area's if you like farang bars but even there they are in the decline because of a shift in demographics. 

1 hour ago, Misterwhisper said:

In Germany we call that a "Kraut".

Are you sure, according to what I know it is slang for a German and not really nice. Its what the English called the Germans and what you see in some of the older war movies that are less social sensitive as the new ones. Even in Holland we called Germans in the past Krauts or "moffen"  but neither word is nice.

Strange that you guys adapted it to mean a beer on the road.