Phuket officially allows drinking and selling alcohol in restaurants, effective October 1st

webfact

Do these clowns ever learn? Under these conditions the bars continue to suffer the hardship while the restaurants enjoy boom time being full of the people that would have gone to sit in a bar. However if this is a supposed C19 move, it has the opposite effect because now all the patrons who would be scattered amongst the bars are now concentrated in a few places. This is how it was each time they made one rule for bars and one rule for restaurants.

And what about Koh Samui, we have far less covid cases here, we are supposed to be adopting the Phuket Sand Box scenario after a poorly thought through Samui plus was completely ineffective and therefore a disaster! 

Why are the current administrators so backward in seeing the bigger picture, alcohol in restaurants is not a covid liability and never was! All the outbreaks are in construction camps, enclosed clubs etc etc don't they see this??? It just a few more nails in The Coffin for us business owners, the employees, market sellers and all those related to the tourism & supporting industries. 

• Thanks 1

On 9/29/2021 at 9:44 AM, DrPhibes said:

Last I saw, they had to be translucent hazmat suits with little underneath since it will be hot and sweaty inside which will lead to certain asspects of the suit adhering to certain parts the wearers anatomy ;-0

I'm getting thirsty already.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, paul1804 said:

And what about Koh Samui, we have far less covid cases here, we are supposed to be adopting the Phuket Sand Box scenario after a poorly thought through Samui plus was completely ineffective and therefore a disaster! 

Why are the current administrators so backward in seeing the bigger picture, alcohol in restaurants is not a covid liability and never was! All the outbreaks are in construction camps, enclosed clubs etc etc don't they see this??? It just a few more nails in The Coffin for us business owners, the employees, market sellers and all those related to the tourism & supporting industries. 

Oh and sadly many bars went and purchased a restaurant license FOC and with no inspection of premises unlike all of those that had to comply with current requirements and as it should be. Why were licenses issued with no inspection and obviously premises that do not comply?????

43 minutes ago, paul1804 said:

Oh and sadly many bars went and purchased a restaurant license FOC and with no inspection of premises unlike all of those that had to comply with current requirements and as it should be. Why were licenses issued with no inspection and obviously premises that do not comply?????

As was to be expected, some complain there is not done enough to help the small business owners, others complain they make it too easy on the small business owners.

• Like 1

On 9/29/2021 at 11:56 AM, Eff1n2ret said:

So is there anything to stop people going to a restaurant and just ordering drink with no food? Maybe they'll get into the same hilarious tangle as the UK, where there were various attempts to define what was a "substantial meal" in pubs serving food, with suggestions that a Scotch Egg was sufficient.

In Pattaya bars were serving bowls of nuts as a meal just to satisfy the restaurant licence

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, terryofcrete said:

Genuine question... Have you any link to this task force as I really had no idea about it. Thank you .

There seems to be several names for them, possibly according to different districts.   Here are a couple of news items as examples.

https://www.thephuketnews.com/honey-pot-raided-for-serving-alcohol-to-foreigners-80085.php

https://www.thephuketnews.com/foreigners-scatter-as-officials-raid-rawai-restaurant-for-serving-alcohol-80028.php

https://www.thephuketnews.com/19-arrested-at-luxury-villa-as-rawai-party-busted-81462.php

https://www.thephuketnews.com/rawai-metes-out-exercise-as-punishment-for-not-wearing-face-mask-80030.php

Edited by pagallim
  • Like 1

On 9/30/2021 at 11:52 AM, stevenl said:

As was to be expected, some complain there is not done enough to help the small business owners, others complain they make it too easy on the small business owners.

Restaurant kitchen and waste disposal standards are bad enough here without issuing restaurant licensess to premisses that don't have the basic infrastructure needed in a restaurant. Just walk along Bophut beach after a big tide and see all the blue waste pipes running straight into the sea. Its a bloody disgrace!!!

3 hours ago, paul1804 said:

Restaurant kitchen and waste disposal standards are bad enough here without issuing restaurant licensess to premisses that don't have the basic infrastructure needed in a restaurant. Just walk along Bophut beach after a big tide and see all the blue waste pipes running straight into the sea. Its a bloody disgrace!!!

Sorry, I live on Phuket, where this thread is about.

Your comment is hardly ever applicable, since the 'restaurants' will simply go out and buy food from nearby places or even foodorder. They don't need and won't acquire the basic infrastructure needed in a restaurant.

• Like 1

On 9/29/2021 at 4:25 AM, sirineou said:

I hear you, we all had enough of these covid restrictions.Wait a couple of months for your trip, things with covid are improving daily ,and by that time you will have more options towards ????

I am not in Phuket, But Yes they are closed everywhere. Which was a good Idea during the Height of covid, but prohibiting having a glass of wine and a beer  with your food is IMO arcanine. 

That's why I decided to 'winter' in Spain's Costa del Sol. Nice warm weather, restaurants open, bottle beers from €1, bottle of wine +/- €5 and a large Gordon's and Schweppes tonic €3-5. 

It'll do me until Thailand reopens the gates. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Lancelot01 said:

That's why I decided to 'winter' in Spain's Costa del Sol. Nice warm weather, restaurants open, bottle beers from €1, bottle of wine +/- €5 and a large Gordon's and Schweppes tonic €3-5. 

It'll do me until Thailand reopens the gates. 

We should have done something similar also, I have friends and family in Greece and we should have gone there last spring instead of coming here,