Thai Authorities Warn of Possible Flooding in Bangkok and Adjacent Provinces

snoop1130

16 minutes ago, kingstonkid said:

The challenges are many with flood control.  First you have to have the land to establish the reservoirs or lakes for run off.  That means that a Thai has to sell his land.  That is a definite issue.

You see this in a lot of countries, Pakistan was almost hilarious when I lived there.  People without a home found a great dry hard ground place to build their dung houses.  They build  them and live a good life for about 6 months until monsoon season hits.  Yep you got it the hard dry ground was actually a waterway that dried up when there was no rain and became one mother of a river.

Every year I enjoyed going to immigration in PT until they moved because in October you never knew how far through the river overflow you would have to walk or where the immigration office was moved to.

Land  for run off .......  + Don't build a hugh Airport on this land...

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, rodknock said:

another year, another story why there is flooding.

the government has no idea how to come up with a plane to prevent flooding.

it is either flooding or drought, they have no idea how to handle it.

Like you said. We will PLAN to fly up by PLANE no need for prevention. LOL!!

17 hours ago, Crossy said:

But "there will be no floods!!" :whistling:

Trouble is, they will prevent/reduce flooding in BKK itself and us poor sods just north will get it ???? 

If they are not able to prevent flooding in the whole country, they will have to protect as much valueable assets as possible with the money, machinery and manpower they have.  As usual that means prioritizing to protect Bangkok, which is always hard to swallow for the bangkok haters upcountry.  But based on pure logic, it makes more sense to protect a mansion in Bangkok than to protect a shed upcountry, with the same money and efforts.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Crossy said:

This is my river level reference, we are in Pathum Thani.

Monday 27th.

45883.jpg.aff8032fb8e4539d615f4cb688417eae.jpg

Thursday 30th (today)

47076.jpg.eb92ad204e31e60c26db0a536815e090.jpg

When the water gets more than half way up the fence on the green house we start to worry.

Keep us updated.

You should have 24 hour cam.

3 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

Keep us updated.

You should have 24 hour cam.

I've started a thread, all contributions welcome.

Looking at a cam solution, I have a spare camera but don't want to expose my security system on the net.

Flood risk management plans (FRMP) should’ve already been in place. Just quickly implement the plans when flooding seems imminent, instead of running around in circles. Root of the bigger problem is downriver - protecting the sinking city of Bangkok, originally built on river delta swampland.... Difficult - the West has sinking cities, too, like London and Amsterdam. Long term, Bkk faces more flooding and a rising sea level from global climate change. Groundwater extraction and the increasing weight of Bangkok’s infrastructure causes the sinking, some places about 2 cm. a year; the sea level rise is about 0.4 cm. a year. Short of the horrendously expensive relocation of the capital city, combat groundwater extraction and global climate change.

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

I've started a thread, all contributions welcome.

Looking at a cam solution, I have a spare camera but don't want to expose my security system on the net.

See the outdoor Yi  security cameras?

$75.00.

Password protection optional.

Nice little cameras.  We've got them all over our property.  

Stay dry.

18 hours ago, KeeTua said:

Too much fake news these days. Prayut did not say "there will be no floods" in his 15 Sept. Facebook post. He said:

“Prepare a contingency plan deal with the water situation in a systematic way.”

"...water situation this year "Not worrying" as in 2011, however I have ordered continuous surveillance until the end of the rainy season."

From his Thai Facebook post 15 September https://www.facebook.com/prayutofficial/
“เตรียมแผนเผชิญเหตุ รับมือสถานการณ์น้ำอย่างเป็นระบบ”

สถานการณ์น้ำในปีนี้ "ไม่น่าเป็นห่วง" เหมือนปี 2554 แต่อย่างไรก็ตาม ผมได้สั่งการให้มีการเฝ้าระวังอย่างต่อเนื่องจนหมดหน้าฝน

So the unelected PM did not say there would be no floods, if not, why did he not deny it at the time? and why is he not sueing the part of the media which said that he did?

And I suppose he didn't say there will be no coup either.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, rodknock said:

another year, another story why there is flooding.

the government has no idea how to come up with a plane to prevent flooding.

it is either flooding or drought, they have no idea how to handle it.

Post 2011  Pathum Thani & Ayutaya provinces to my direct knowledge had some major engineering works lasting many years not only to just rebuild road surfaces  but in many cases raising road levels to create dykes and some huge under road drainage canals - quite likely creating 'monkey cheeks' with greater storage capacity - if that is improved capacity its effect will only be measured  as people begin to get their feet wet now.  Sure the river is at full overflowing banks capacity now set to the maximum volume that can travel to the sea through Bangkok the "bottleneck" .     Thailand is far from the only country to be caught out by environmental events already this 2021 that many might argue could have been avoided

1 hour ago, possum1931 said:

So the unelected PM did not say there would be no floods, if not, why did he not deny it at the time? and why is he not sueing the part of the media which said that he did?

And I suppose he didn't say there will be no coup either.

I'll be sure to ask him when we're at the golf course next week provided it's not flooded.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, KeeTua said:

I'll be sure to ask him when we're at the golf course next week provided it's not flooded.

Perhaps he will do his King Canute act with as much success,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_Canute_and_the_tide

The story of King Canute and the tide is an apocryphal anecdote illustrating the piety or humility of King Canute the Great, recorded in the 12th century by Henry of Huntingdon.

In the story, Canute demonstrates to his flattering courtiers that he has no control over the elements (the incoming tide), explaining that secular power is vain compared to the supreme power of God. The episode is frequently alluded to in contexts where the futility of "trying to stop the tide" of an inexorable event is pointed out, but usually misrepresenting Canute as believing he had supernatural powers, when Huntingdon's story in fact relates the opposite.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, kennw said:

True to name Knocker, so what would you do if given the responsibility?

Why, I'd get some pumps and push the water back upstream. 

No wait.......

Perhaps we should not have turned down the help offered by the Netherlands....

15 hours ago, crazykopite said:

The mind boggles no investment in flood relief in a major Asian city as they much prefer the money to be spent on Chinese rust buckets that they call submarines I wonder if they will paint them Yellow !!!!!

Yeah but if they didn't have the floods where would they go in their submarines, the Gulf is too shallow for them ????