The new view from the Terminal 21 food court.....

redwood1

On 9/30/2021 at 7:49 AM, redwood1 said:

The thing about Thais is they want to park as close to where they are going as possible, so I really question if they will want to use this parking garage at all..

Exactly, they are not going to park there and walk to Beach road or get a bus. It will only be used for T21 parking, and there is enough already.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Doctor Tom said:

Never go there, its a huge white elephant, that must be losing millions, even on a good week, pre covid. 

I disagree--and I did go there, unlike you.  The mall was doing fine pre-covid.  Some individual shops and restaurants might not have been doing well--true for all malls at any time.

• Like 1

On 9/30/2021 at 7:41 AM, Wongkitlo said:

Is just the example of planning and foresight. They only finished it a few years back. Pity they didn't think of extra parking in the initial design. 

Perhaps they did, hence the available extra space to build the car park, but maybe didn't have the funding in place for the extra construction costs at the time.

25 minutes ago, newnative said:

I disagree--and I did go there, unlike you.  The mall was doing fine pre-covid.  Some individual shops and restaurants might not have been doing well--true for all malls at any time.

Went to the T21 in Bangkok, it didn't excite me in any way so I'm not likely to go to the one in Pattaya.

Don't even go to the new Central Festival if I can help it.

• Like 1

Just now, LongTimeLurker said:

Perhaps they did, hence the available extra space to build the car park, but maybe didn't have the funding in place for the extra construction costs at the time.

This parking garage was funded through the city's construction slush fund that can be spent on any project, I am pretty sure......The mall never really had time to  make money because of covid, so I doubt they funded the parking garage...

46 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Went to the T21 in Bangkok, it didn't excite me in any way so I'm not likely to go to the one in Pattaya.

it always amuses me that some farangs, quite a lot by the sound of it,  come to Thailand and spend their days strolling around shopping malls and having coffee, something they could easily do in their home country. Odd that.  I suppose its better than sitting at  a bar all day drinking alcohol and looking miserable.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Central Festival was opened in 2009 so not exactly 'new'.  Both it and T21 were doing ok, pre-covid, without your patronage.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Doctor Tom said:

it always amuses me that some farangs, quite a lot by the sound of it,  come to Thailand and spend their days strolling around shopping malls and having coffee, something they could easily do in their home country. Odd that.  I suppose its better than sitting at  a bar all day drinking alcohol and looking miserable.   

I go occasionally for the excellent restaurants like the Lebanese, Italian, Sushi or Arnos Steak House... and perv a bit on the eye candy.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

The pulled down paradise to put up a parking lot.

No. What was there before T21 came along was a virtually derelict dump that needed pulling down and replacing. Paradise it was not; it was an eyesore.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, champers said:

No. What was there before T21 came along was a virtually derelict dump that needed pulling down and replacing. Paradise it was not; it was an eyesore.

Yes, totally agree it was an eyesore.  T21 was and is a big plus, and has served as a catalyst for new, nice development in that area, which is still continuing.  

On 9/29/2021 at 7:23 PM, bkk6060 said:

I usually am checking out all the cute girls there.  Not, looking out the window.

People are going to the food court mainly to eat cheap, so the view is not important. No other restauarants in the mall have a view.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

People are going to the food court mainly to eat cheap, so the view is not important. No other restauarants in the mall have a view.

So why not just board up the window? Why leave it open? If I ran the mall I would do it for sure...

48 minutes ago, redwood1 said:

So why not just board up the window? Why leave it open? If I ran the mall I would do it for sure...

Is there nothing to see now? Why not board up the windows? Surely some daylight still gets through? I haven't been there for quite some time since covid-19 became a thing.

Edited by JensenZ

6 hours ago, Doctor Tom said:

Go the the Big C Extra food court or the coffee shop upstairs, plenty of farangs just sitting around for hours eating 40 baht meals or coffee looking miserable, 555.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Meh, it was sometimes too hot and bright near the windows.  Also the view wasn't all that great to begin with.  I certainly never went there for the view so doesn't bother me that much.

Edited by shdmn

9 hours ago, bbko said:

Go the the Big C Extra food court or the coffee shop upstairs, plenty of farangs just sitting around for hours eating 40 baht meals or coffee looking miserable, 555.

I do go to Big C Extra and I do see plenty of farangs at the coffee shops and, especially, at the food court and restaurants.  What I don't see is them 'looking miserable'.  Most seem to be there with their Thai wives doing the weekly grocery shopping at Big C and them stopping for lunch before going home.  Some tables have several couples--likely they meet up and do a weekly get-together.  My partner and I often do the same, shop at Big C and then grab some lunch at the food court or Fuji.

At the coffee shops it's often 2, 3, or 4 farangs I see sitting at tables having coffee and chatting;  meeting up for some friendly companionship while sorting out the problems of the World.  What you are seeing, and apparently sneering at, is just everyday normalcy.  People going about their normal lives, living their normal routine--which I doubt would be much different for most if they were living in their home country.  But, likely better weather here, especially in the coming months.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, newnative said:

I do go to Big C Extra and I do see plenty of farangs at the coffee shops and, especially, at the food court and restaurants.

He  must have spotted me... I often sit there eating some items from Big-CX bakery and a bottle of water resting after doing some shopping before the drive home. Taking wifey shopping is an exercise in irritation and actually she wants me out of the way while she cleans up our place. Earlier I was perhaps enjoying a massage and that is far from an unhappy experience. I just have a sad boxer dog face that is all. 

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1

Heck, I never wanted Terminal 21!  The Dolphin roundabout was a mess, but I would rather be sitting in the old KISS restaurant that was on the corner.  But that shopping plaza semi indoor outdoor area was dead space and never did any business that I could see, so I understand if the owners sold out to developers.  I just don't go to a city just for malls.  I got plenty of malls here in the USA and I don't frequent them much at all.  Good for a walk around now and then on a cold winter day, or even on a hot summer day.  But I prefer Pattaya circa 2004.  That had enough for me

10 hours ago, bbko said:

I like going to Pizza Hut just next to Big C up the road a bit.  Personal Pan pizza, some fries and a pepsi.  A taste of home.  Peruse the Bangkok Post, do the daily Suduko.  enough of a view there out the windows onto second road

• Like 1

11 hours ago, bbko said:

I would too if I lived on 40 Baht food.