“Silent majority” gives everyone hope _ and anxiety

webfact

Silent-majority-Thailand-politics-election_web.jpg

(Photo by Lillian SUWANRUMPHA / AFP)

OPINION

By Tulsathit Taptim

To varying degrees, all key players in Thai politics can be both optimistic and apprehensive at the same time. While politicians regard themselves as second to none at keeping their cards close to their chests, they may have forgotten that the voting public has the same capability, which could be unleashed in the next election.

What will the Thai “silent majority” do?

The answer to the question, which is probably not resounding at the moment but must have been haunting most politicians, is wait and see. The only thing apparently certain is the size of that majority. A staggering number of Thais, according to an opinion poll, seem still undecided about who should be their next prime minister, although public choices for political parties are clearer. And that is not the only confusing sign.

An officially scheduled generation election is way more than a year away, but everyone is drumming up the significance of the next showdown at the ballot booths, whether it comes earlier than expected or not. The media, pollsters and rival politicians are all talking about it, mostly with partisan influences. One thing they agree upon is that nothing is written in stone.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/silent-majority-gives-everyone-hope-_-and-anxiety/

Logo-top-.png

22 minutes ago, Stocky said:

They pay journalists for this stuff?

The article says nothing that isn't obvious, the result of the election won't be known until the votes are cast and counted.

As for "undecided about who should be their next prime minister" not really a surprise given the lack of options, however, it's not something they decide, the appointment of PM is made by a vote of the combined chambers, elected and unelected.

i wouldn't pay too much attention to this type of rhetorical journalism or what passes for news....brought to you by the usual sources.

Fortunately, there is an abundance of alternative sources available, if you know where to look. 

15 minutes ago, zzaa09 said:

i wouldn't pay too much attention to this type of rhetorical journalism or what passes for news....brought to you by the usual sources.

Fortunately, there is an abundance of alternative sources available, if you know where to look. 

I actually thought this was a satirical article?

• Haha 1

there is no silent majority. For over a year people became vocal in their opinions, after their will at ballot box was ignored once again and later flamed by murder of thai political activist refugee Wanchalearm in phnom penh.

Majority is against this government and the whole political establishment, political class and system. Just look at social media, what people think and how they react to the government propaganda.

But there is an alliance forming between ppp and puathai, which in effect might bring back thaksin to dampen future forward and demands for radical change.

One thing is sure - prayuth won't be nominated by the PPP, now they are at war.

Both those alliance parties will gain from just changed election rules.

FF will suffer from this change. 

However, despite already gearing for an election by the PPP, they will straggle hard to get votes. Their tactic would be similar like the last time and concentrated on mp candidates and handling out bananas to monkeys by thammant.

But there is still a long way for the next election, and with an emergency degree and covid restrictions on public gathering being cancelled shortly, there would be continuation of protests, which were hindered by the onset of the second wave back in december.

For political commentary don't rely on Tulsathin and Thai pbs, it's just pro-government long winded propaganda. The recent very discovering journalistic piece is "The plot that nearly toppled Prayut", very detailed and fascinating read about thai secret history, back to thaksin premiership

Edited by internationalism

13 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Most Thais want Thaksin to be their leader.

As far as I can see.

OK, interesting that, personally I don't have my ears to the ground..........however, I do vividly rememeber acute Thaksin bashing by forum members here for what seemed like ages in the noughties............................

• Like 1

7 hours ago, robblok said:

Could be true as the PTP will probably be the largest party. So most want him, dont think its a majority but most is certainly true.

We're fortunate here to have a few pundits that have the true pulse of the country [not]. ????