Nigerian man, Thai woman arrested in Phuket for B11mn romance scams

snoop1130

1632998512_1-org.jpg

Immigration officers raided the house in Srisoonthorn on Tuesday (Sept 28). Photo: Phuket Immigration

PHUKET: A Nigerian man and a Thai woman have been arrested in Phuket for their involvement in online ‘romance scams’ that saw their victims swindled out of at least B11 million.

The Nigerian national, named by police “Mr Abuchi Johnkennedy Onyenecherem”, and Thai woman Ampha ‘Pink’ Phatthap, 26, were arrested at a rented room in Srisoonthorn, Thalang, on Tuesday (Sept 28), police reported today (Sept 30).

Present for the arrests were officers from the Immigration Bureau and Cherng Talay Police.

Full Story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/nigerian-man-thai-woman-arrested-in-phuket-for-b11mn-romance-scams-81566.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2021-09-30

• Haha 2

In the 90's I met a guy who called himself George Washington. He was trying to get farangs to go work in Brunei selling detergents. When I told him I was in marketing and sales at that time, he clammed up. The name alone rang bells alerting me to a scam.

I've read of others having the name Robert Kennedy in the newspapers over the years relating to scams of some sort.

Nigerians doing what they do best....international scams. There must be honest Nigerians in the world I guess but I have never personally heard of one. After having worked in a number of African countries and visiting a number of other African countries as well, I can honestly say that it remains the only continent that I have ever been to and worked on that I have no desire to return to. Having said that, some people love the continent and good on them for finding it a more positive place than me.

• Like 2