Electric vehicles of all kinds

Kanada

12 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

A picture of me and the misses after a test drive 3 years ago. Good value but not solidly constructed.

spacer.png

Nice pic. I've never seen them before today.

I didn't test drive it or even get in it, but yes it didn't look very solid compared to most similar sized ICEs.

But I guess lightweight is the way of the future with EVs.

I'm not a tech at all with cars, I just fill them up or plug them in and point them in the right direction!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KhunLA said:

My e-bike done.  1000w / 48v30Ah, on a Schwinn Streamliner.  Others stated getting 50+ kph, with same kit, but without a real shock suspension, 40 kph is just fine, and more than fast enough.

That was quick work. Good job!

I agree, 40 kph is more than enough on a bicyce frame without modified suspension.

About top speed - I was reading something online a few days ago that over 60 kph requires registration anyway, so it's a good idea to limit it. This was from a guy who does a lot of conversions so I'm pretty sure he's checked it all out.

Edited by blackprince
  • Like 1

Volvo reveals the CO2 footprint of the C40 Recharge

If you add up the individual items that occur until the car is handed over to the customer, the CO2 emissions of the C40 Recharge (and the all-electric XC40) are around 70 per cent higher than those of the combustion model

https://www.electrive.com/2021/11/04/volvo-reveals-the-co2-footprint-of-the-c40-recharge/

6 minutes ago, seedy said:

If you add up the individual items that occur until the car is handed over to the customer, the CO2 emissions of the C40 Recharge (and the all-electric XC40) are around 70 per cent higher than those of the combustion model

"If you add up the individual items that occur until the car is handed over to the customer, the CO2 emissions of the C40 Recharge (and the all-electric XC40) are around 70 per cent higher than those of the combustion model. The big difference is in the use phase – calculated at 200,000 kilometres."

I've got a couple of the top end Volvo hybrids. Fabulous.

PS this thread is about EVs of all kinds. It's not about EVs v ICE. Feel free to open an EV v ICE thread.

Edited by blackprince
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, blackprince said:

I've got a couple of the top end Volvo hybrids. Fabulous.

Just to avoid confusion, I'm actually a pretty frugal person. I'd never dream of spending that kind of money on a means of transport. There's a car importer in the family, it would be churlish to say no!

With my own money I'd probably go for a Mazda 2 EV when it arrives. I've had excellent customer service experience with Mazda.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bandersnatch said:

I am bored of reading comments about EVs not being green.  If you have an EV it is a natural next step to want to have solar. Solar panels have a useful life of 30 years so mine will outlast me. I charge my plugin hybrid every day, sometimes twice a day  - saving me ฿5,000 a month I would have spent on gasohol. 

My next car will definitely be a full EV something like the MG Ravel R recently released in Europe. It has a 70kWh battery and Vehicle to Load so I can use the car batteries to top up my house batteries.  

I have recently added a few more solar panels to the house in preparation

Awesome place you got there, setting up all that solar must had cost a coin or two but agree that's the way to go, especially when you live in the tropics.

The MG Marvel R is having some serious specs, 288PS, 0-100 in 4.9 sec, not bad at all and a range according to them of 400km.

But they write made for European motorists who appreciate design, luxury and performance, it’s part of our second generation of 100% electric vehicles! OK that the EU site, I can't see why they can't launch it here.

https://mgmotor.eu/model/marvel-r

• Like 1

1 hour ago, guzzi850m2 said:

OK that the EU site, I can't see why they can't launch it here.

I am a member of an MG EV forum based mainly in the UK. They say there is no plans to convert the current version of the Marvel R to RHD, but as it is based on the Chinese version of the car which is over a year old, it will soon be due for an update and that is when a RHD version is expected. 

35 minutes ago, blackprince said:

The Sion solar powered car by Sono Motors is what would really do it for me. IPO announced last week, and a major part of its financing to date from crowdfunding.

The German engineering adds confidence too.

https://sonomotors.com/

When will you take delivery? 

The self-charging effectively provides unlimited range making this a real game-changer!

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

When will you take delivery? 

The self-charging effectively provides unlimited range making this a real game-changer!

Pre Order stage now

Hope you do not live in an apartment/condo on the North side of a tower

Or underground parking !!!

5 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

So you will be compelled to buy one whether you want it or not, nice. 

Since 'plan' for new homes, then don't think it will matter.  Seems main point / complaint in news-blip, is poorer folks will be left out.  Don't think they'll be buying new homes anyway.

If anything, it will help the 'have nots' as less public charging ports needed in the future, as the 'haves' will have theirs at home.   win win ????

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Since 'plan' for new homes, then don't think it will matter.  Seems main point / complaint in news-blip, is poorer folks will be left out.  Don't think they'll be buying new homes anyway.

If anything, it will help the 'have nots' as less public charging ports needed in the future, as the 'haves' will have theirs at home.   win win ????

It's only a win-win for people that want one in their new home.

37 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

I doubt if many in this discussion have actually had a wall charger fitted so don’t know what is involved.

New EVs like the MG Marvel R have an 11kW 3 phase onboard charger and are capable of drawing more current than any other electronics in a house. 

Retrofitting house electrics for a wall charger is a substantial and invasive undertaking, that requires laying new dedicated heavy gauge cables from the house electrics hub to where the wall charger needs to be located ie where you park your car.

Obviously the best time to do this is when the house is being built. 

To quote from the report:

plan for all new homes and buildings to be fitted with car charging infrastructure” 

I doubt if this would actually include the wall box itself but instead facilitate an easy install of just the box at a later point.

Yea, I think the first so many (???) MG EV buyers, when promo was going, got a free home fast charger thrown in with purchase.  Now I notice the HS PHEV its still free, I think.  Should be for the price of the car.

"[3] MG HOME CHARGER 1 set value 42,057 baht

[4] MG HOME CHARGER installation fee worth 18,692 baht"

https://www.mgcars.com/th/Promotion/Detail/re-start?gclid=CjwKCAiA4veMBhAMEiwAU4XRryZ7Wq5D9rrHtleDQhSFnDiw_smj01kV-ODnEx2WUd03pX3TMstlcRoC05AQAvD_BwE

1 hour ago, Yellowtail said:

It's only a win-win for people that want one in their new home.

2030 (UK's ev mandate) ain't that far away, they're going to need one anyway.  If springing for a new house at silly price, guessing they'll be springing for a new car within the next 8 yrs also.  Just hope they're compatible, and could be a wasted install.

6 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

One member on this thread has, and if recall, a bit of a hassle dealing with PEA getting it done.  MG had to flex a bit of muscle ... I think.  

Not sure if you are talking about me  - but yes I had a big fight to get a wall charger for an off-grid house.

MG plug-ins in Thailand come with a free wall charger and fitting

I put a deposit down on the MG ZS EV when they were announced in Thailand - but the install company refused to install for an off-grid house "solar no good"

2 Years later I ordered the MG HS PHEV  - smaller battery and smaller on-board charger but same message from the outsourced install company. So I contacted the president of MG Thailand.  I was able to prove that my pure sine wave inverter was able to produce a far cleaner current than PEA.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

2030 (UK's ev mandate) ain't that far away, they're going to need one anyway.  If springing for a new house at silly price, guessing they'll be springing for a new car within the next 8 yrs also.  Just hope they're compatible, and could be a wasted install.

As Bandersnatch suggested, get only the cable (I would make it 32 A) installed when building the house, with a simple socket at the end into which the wall box can be plugged when the time comes.

PCE CEE Wandsteckdose 32 A 7polig, Adapter plugs

This way there is no worry about the compatibility of future wall boxes. At worst, the socket might have to be changed or an adapter used if there is a design change.

• Like 2