Stick up for yourself in Thailand - remember the customer is sometimes right!

rooster59

3 hours ago, ThLT said:

If you want to fight teeth and nails get back 20฿, that's not "having integrity."

That's having no self-respect, for yourself and for your own time.

<deleted>? 'Dignity' is a usually cheap excuse for walking away from something you're loath to do, and time is a commodity the value of which is proportionate to how much you have of it. ????

7 hours ago, Doctor Tom said:

No idea what this is about,  I lost the will to live after a few paragraphs. This is a forum, not a literary group. 

At which temple will the funeral service be held? 

• Confused 1

9 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Both my grown up children followed the path of atheism rejecting the efforts of their mum. My latest brood will hopefully follow suit. Faith is pathetic. Science and facts are what is needed. 

Neeranam thinks that if you don't have any belief, it's fine but no need to criticize others' beliefs. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Speedhump said:

<deleted>? 'Dignity' is a usually cheap excuse for walking away from something you're loath to do, and time is a commodity the value of which is proportionate to how much you have of it. ????

I'm not sure what you're saying. Spending 20 minutes making a scene and fighting with staff to have them get the manager, for ฿20... ? That's dignity?

12 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Neeranam thinks that if you don't have any belief, it's fine but no need to criticize others' beliefs. 

Not at all. Militant atheism is about continually calling out nonsensical beliefs in religion that are both dangerous and damaging, especially to vulnerable children. There is every need to criticize religious people and stop the culture of thinking that such criticism is off limits. The only decent faith is faith in science. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, BostonRob2 said:

Not at all. Militant atheism is about continually calling out nonsensical beliefs in religion that are both dangerous and damaging, especially to vulnerable children. There is every need to criticize religious people and stop the culture of thinking that such criticism is off limits. The only decent faith is faith in science. 

I've never understood why atheists get so upset about something they don't believe in. 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Doctor Tom said:

No idea what this is about,  I lost the will to live after a few paragraphs. This is a forum, not a literary group. 

I like reading the post so if you dont you can stop at any time. Maybe you should just go back to looking at the phone texts, they should be short enough for the attention span. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, ThLT said:

I'm not sure what you're saying. Spending 20 minutes making a scene and fighting with staff to have them get the manager, for ฿20... ? That's dignity?

No, what I actually said was that dignity is overrated, and often invoked when not having the stomach for a scrap, whether important or not. 

"I wouldn't give them the satisfaction".... 

4 hours ago, Speedhump said:

Might this nature's time or the perplexing and false invention of what many consider to be time?

Already lost if you envision "time" to be a commodity of some worth.

16 minutes ago, zzaa09 said:

Might this nature's time or the perplexing and false invention of what many consider to be time?

Already lost if you envision "time" to be a commodity of some worth.

If you want a philosophical  discussion about time or even one based around physics, it's far too late in the day. But I acknowledge time as a commodity because one person pays another for the use of their labour on a daily basis. That's enough to be going on with until tomorrow (in a few hours time....). 

Well said, that Rooster! 

In my experience the crucial word in customer service portion is "wait". I have had quite a lot of success in such situations around the world, but especially in SEAsia, by judicious waiting. 

"We do not have/cannot." Wait. Consultation with colleague; "have/can".

And, yes a bit of judicious humor can also work wonders.

• Like 1

I don't understand this sudden spate of complaints about the length of Roosters post. This has been a pleasant and informative read for a long time. He always writes a lengthy and interesting post.

I don't agree with his militant Atheism but I am a tolerant Atheist so I live and let live and respect the rights of others to have faith.

This includes the faith of militant Atheists who have set themselves up as the evangelists of Atheism banging on doors telling people not to believe, handing out pamphlets to 'prove' their belief that you should not believe. Taking every opportunity to write or speak about their non belief and their faith that there is no faith, denigrating all other faiths in the process.. There is a knock on the door 2 militant Atheists (they always come in pairs) saying  'Don't praise the Lord', "God is bad", "can we interest you in a meeting at our local place of worship (bar) where we can discuss and examine the meaningless of life", "You will be blessed with the knowledge that all faith is bad except the faith of Militant Atheism". There will be a holy war of Militant Atheism to wipe out all other faiths because only their faith is the true faith and all the faithful will not go to heaven but will dissipate joyfully into the ether never to be reincarnated. "There is no life after Death!!!!" they cry joyfully "Just a cessation of electrical activity and a putrid rotting of flesh". It's good to see that he's a teacher, get 'em young persuade them to your faith. It's easier when they are young and impressionable. Don't let them grow up to decide for themselves fix the faith whilst they are young (as all faiths do).

• Like 2

OK as someone posted, more readable section. 

1. You wouldn't take <deleted> in your own country 

2.this is not our country we are guests

3.that doest make us the bad guy. 

4. so we still have the right to complain and tell our story. 

Thank you, Rooster, for once again providing deep insight with candor and humor.  I am late to reading your article this week.  Perhaps some who have replied in haste may have benefited from waiting a little longer than Sunday morning before opening up the page.  One can only wonder what went on, (or went down the throat), Saturday night, that prevented them from being able to read more than a few sentences before their brain shut down?  I, too, would relish an article twice as long.   But I also have so much to learn about this land.  And all these insights and observations are just so fascinating to me.

Edited by Marpa47

On 10/3/2021 at 7:01 PM, BostonRob2 said:

That's not faith. It's science. Belief in science has caused as much misery as religion and given a lot less comfort.