Udon police arrest Swiss expat who killed armed intruder at his home

webfact

4 hours ago, matchar said:

Sounds like a clear case of self-defense from the facts presented so far. Also I suspect the wife may have helped plan the attempted robbery as her statement seems suspicious and she also knew the dead man.

Assuming they are facts and not lies......

13 minutes ago, khunpa said:

Cases like this is just one of the reasons I have video-cams installed in every room of my house. 

Should you one day need to protect yourself from an intruder or a girlfriend/wife with a knife, then at least you have some documentation.

What good is this "documentation" if your dead?

• Like 2

More to This than a straight forward robbery i think . if the swiss man is telling the truth or did he know the Thai man or not know him, but, his wife did.  If he thought it as a robbery then he has every right to defend himself in his own home. 

23 minutes ago, orang37 said:

Scales a wall with a loaded gun: he's in good shape ? The gun: who really owns it; where did it come from, given fire-arms are illegal except for police ?

63 year old Swiss overpowers him:  he's in good shape, martial artist ? Sathian: drunk or drugged ? Wife asleep: she doesn't wake up when she hears sounds of a fight; is she drunk, sedated, part of the plot ?

Too many missing puzzle pieces.

‘Scales a wall’....  I think that may be poor reporting... 

It looks more likely that he appeared around the wall - and its hardly huge wall (see image below).

63 year old 53 year old - Foreigner is probably bigger and stronger, the Thai may well have been drunk if he were attempting something as daft as this. 

Wife in a deep sleep after a few drinks with friends - easily done, I don’t think there is anything suspicious about that.

2057057353_Screenshot2021-10-04at15_17_08.png.2741dde96ec077ac2d5696e46322dde7.png

• Like 2

Watched the reenactment.

The Swiss guy is stood in front of the Thai and then the Swiss guy leans forward and just pulls the gun toward himself, pulling the gun out of the Thai guy's hands. 

That seems very dangerous.

The natural tendency would be for the trigger to be almost automatically pulled????

• Sad 1

Amazing Thailand you’re in your own home a burglar answers with a gun and then your charge for defending yourself the craziest thing ever heard of and what other country in a burglar add to your home with a gun and now the owner of the house has a problem TIT

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, TheFishman1 said:

Amazing Thailand you’re in your own home a burglar answers with a gun and then your charge for defending yourself the craziest thing ever heard of and what other country in a burglar add to your home with a gun and now the owner of the house has a problem TIT

Pick one country in the world where the police would not get involved and investigate ??????

Just one...   or does that upset your ’Thai-bashing-agenda’ ???

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, robblok said:

Just curious do they accept self defense that easy in the US without investigation and charging someone until its cleared up.

In some places if someone claims self defence you don't need to prove it, quite the opposite, the prosecution needs to prove that it wasn't self defence or that's the end of the matter.

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, milys said:

Don't be so fast to jump to conclusions y'all. As there are no witnesses only two people knew what happened, and one of them is dead. When there's a possible jealousy angle on the case who knows if there even was an attempted robbery.

If you're not James Bond, It seems extremely stupid trying to fight someone with a gun pointed at you, just for money.

Maybe the Swiss man had the gun and tied up the other guy at gun point, killed him, fired the gun and threw it in the water.

After he roughed himself up a bit before waking up his party-wife to call the police and report the tragic accident.

I'm not saying that's how it happened but it's a possibility.

So don't jump to conclusions too fast and start whining about how bad falangs are treated by the RTP before you have the facts.

Agreed.... there are many possibilities here... 

The story of the Suisse guy seems feasible with no outrageous contradictions. 

People are jumping of the fact that the Thai guy was known to the woman but not a friend, but there is nothing strange there especially in a small community. 

Someone has died, a thorough investigation needs to take place.

2 hours ago, khunPer said:

Based on what I read in the news story, the Swiss man seems like a kind of hero, and also telling the truth, and not trying to escape. But then comes the wife's statement, perhaps there are more to the story than what reached the news...????

Don't they live in a village where presumably everyone knows everyone else, even around here everyone knows each other by sight at least.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, ukrules said:

In some places if someone claims self defence you don't need to prove it, quite the opposite, the prosecution needs to prove that it wasn't self defence or that's the end of the matter.

In which places if a person dies on your property and you claim self defence do the police not come and verify your story and investigate ?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ukrules said:

Sure but it still means there will be an investigation and someone can be taken in custody till the investigation is done. Point being that this guy his story just needs to be checked out. After that they either decide its self defense or not. 

If it is how he states im sure nothing will happen with him.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Hamus Yaigh said:

There is nothing clear here. The wife said so "he tried to initiate a relationship with her but she declined his advances. She would meet him in the village and say hello, that was all."

So why bring a gun and break into the premises? And then fire the gun? Just to say hello to the lady?

Either way, very well done by the Swiss. I would do the same every day of the week.

If he is convicted, it's a big freakin joke.

5 hours ago, keith101 said:

If he is charged with a crime causing death in defending himself then it will another reason for tourists to stay away and all expats to be wary of defending themselves .

Oh I don't think the expat Community will be very silent about this if he's charged.

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Whether it was self-defence will be taken into consideration, said the provincial police chief promising "justice for both sides".

Give the pensioner a medal and a 10 year visa for services rendered to the nation.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

In which places if a person dies on your property and you claim self defence do the police not come and verify your story and investigate ?

Why? Do you think I just made it up?

Here's one very famous example case where the above happened : https://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-robert-durst-self-defense-20150316-story.html

As for the claim of self-defense? “The prosecution couldn’t prove it wasn’t self-defense,” wrote Texas Monthly’s Gary Cartwright. “There were only two witnesses, and one was dead.”

The above is likely the most extreme example of this kind of case you will ever come across.

Edited by ukrules
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, smedly said:

what ?

The Thai was armed with a firearm and made an unauthorised entry to the property to commit armed robbery and discharged the firearm when challenged, he was then disarmed during a violent struggle and incapacitated - the Swiss man should be getting a medal

pretty clear to me

Try and read the whole article . The wife of the man that killed the Thai has divulged to the police that the man killed had been showing interest in her . 

That should make any sherlock begin to look deeper into the story given by the house owner .

• Like 1

Man was protecting his house and his life self defense, he should get a medal for killing a scam who most likely would have attacked and attacked again if he got away with it this time.

Or, maybe wife hired him to take care of husband for good, move in and live happily.  

• Sad 1